The assumption that Pudil’s legs have gone

1 hour ago, SwissOwl8200 said:

Is there a medical name for 'legs have gone'?

I hear it a lot on here but can't get my head around it.  Unless you've got an injury, your athletic performance isn't going to change much from one season to next, is it?  There isn't a cliff edge that you suddenly drop off (aside from Brexit). 

So do you mean he's got a chronic injury?

Have a look at Loovens from 1 season to the next and you will see what we mean by legs have gone.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Probably true, but are we questioning Pudil’s stamina (although he does seem to get cramp a lot). Fell runners don’t have to compete over 10/20 metre sprints against 21 year olds like a full back does. I just assume that ‘legs have gone’ means ‘can’t quite accelerate/sprint quite as fast as used to’.

At the very highest level there is no doubt that being in your mid to late twenties confer an advantage, especially in terms of the sort of power you describe. But physiologically people mature and decline at different points in time and many people, if they have continued to train properly and are still well motivated can mitigate this effect significantly. Not only that but Pudil has been an international footballer and is no longer playing at the highest level. He is a good footballer with lots of very good experience. I can't believe that in a settled back 4 (perhaps not as a wing back, only he knows really,) he wouldn't be a great asset to us.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I would say that Pudil is still better than Fox, Penney or Thorniley in that role.

The fact that we are paying 3 LB salaries, in Pudil, Fox and Penney, and not one are strong enough to keep their place, says a lot about our mess.

Agree. He is still better than Fox or Penney and for me by some margin.

• Like 1

I’ve been saying this for a while. Under Carlos our full backs were up and down the pitch so yes Pudil probably couldn’t play that role. 

But at the minute we need a solid back four and Pudil is probably still our best option at Left Back. 

10 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

At the very highest level there is no doubt that being in your mid to late twenties confer an advantage, especially in terms of the sort of power you describe. But physiologically people mature and decline at different points in time and many people, if they have continued to train properly and are still well motivated can mitigate this effect significantly. Not only that but Pudil has been an international footballer and is no longer playing at the highest level. He is a good footballer with lots of very good experience. I can't believe that in a settled back 4 (perhaps not as a wing back, only he knows really,) he wouldn't be a great asset to us.

So isn't the line I've highlighted all there is to say about it then? If it's just a matter of training well and playing in a settled back four then where are all these 35/40 year old fullbacks? plus the fact that you said 'only he knows really' when he's stated himself that he can't play there.

Not trying to be clever mate. There are no rights or wrongs to this.  Just saying that some people are able to compete athletically at a very high level even in their mid thirties. Much of it is in the head. And for all the 'professionalism' of the current game, many footballers don't take their fitness as seriously as they ought! (Only have to look at some of the pictures from last year to know that.)

Edited by Bleeder
Spelling

Guest Bulgaria
58 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Why did we give Pudil a contract if we felt 'His legs have gone'?

Because we are Sheffield Wednesday.

27 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

Not trying to be clever mate. There are no rights or wrongs to this.  Just saying that some people are able to compete athletically at a very high level even in their mid thirties. Much of it is in the head. And for all the 'professionalism' of the current game, many footballers don't take their fitness as seriously as they ought! (Only have to look at some of the pictures from last year to know that.)

No I know that, just discussing. It could be a cultural thing where it’s easier to wind down at that age than maintain the required fitness but the Championship is very competitive with some super athletic wingers. I’m not sure that positional sense alone is enough to mitigate age at fullback. Whether he’s up to it or not there’s no doubt that not replacing him (or Hunt) is hurting us now.

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

No I know that, just discussing. It could be a cultural thing where it’s easier to wind down at that age than maintain the required fitness but the Championship is very competitive with some super athletic wingers. I’m not sure that positional sense alone is enough to mitigate age at fullback. Whether he’s up to it or not there’s no doubt that not replacing him (or Hunt) is hurting us now.

Agree with all of that (including the cultural bit!) And he clearly doesn't feel as fit or sharp as he expects himself to be (and maybe he sets himself high standards.) I still feel that as part of a settled back line he's the most able of the players that we have used at LB this season

WTF:

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The best left back we’ve seen at Hillsborough for a long time. 

God knows why we all just seem to think he’s now incapable of playing there. Perhaps he can’t get up and down the line like he did in 15/16 but he’s by far our best option there at the minute. Thorniley or Fox hardly get up and down, so why can’t Pudil play in his natural place?

Its his position, he’ll know where to be on the pitch and actually has a bit of quality on the ball and can defend.

Maybe clutching at straws but it’s quite  clear our fullbacks are a major problem. Pudil may be the only Championship standard one we have. 

Been saying it since the start of the season.

What he lacks in pace he more than makes up for in experience and quality when compared to Fox, Penney or Thorniley- the latter two of which have made a decent fist of it at times considering their in experience in a pretty toxic situation.

5 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Pudil said it himself in the summer. The playoff semi final was also proof of it 

He is only the player in question and he just owns the legs which folk are discussing.....

What the hell does he have to say about it contribute to the discussion?

32 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

To be honest I think Pudil is our best centre half at the minute, but pretty sure he could still do a job at full back.

The crazy decision is not having him in the team at all.

Definitely one of 3 from 4 who all must play across that central line in defence in every single game we play.

He replaced Thorniley v West Brom and did well enough and what he lacks in pace he makes up for with experience and leadership out there.