The assumption that Pudil’s legs have gone

The best left back we’ve seen at Hillsborough for a long time. 

God knows why we all just seem to think he’s now incapable of playing there. Perhaps he can’t get up and down the line like he did in 15/16 but he’s by far our best option there at the minute. Thorniley or Fox hardly get up and down, so why can’t Pudil play in his natural place?

Its his position, he’ll know where to be on the pitch and actually has a bit of quality on the ball and can defend.

Maybe clutching at straws but it’s quite  clear our fullbacks are a major problem. Pudil may be the only Championship standard one we have. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

God knows why we all just seem to think he’s now incapable of playing there. Perhaps he can’t get up and down the line like he did in 15/16 but he’s by far our best option there at the minute. Thorniley or Fox hardly get up and down, so why can’t Pudil play in his natural place?

Its his position, he’ll know where to be on the pitch and actually has a bit of quality on the ball and can defend.

Maybe clutching at straws but it’s quite  clear our fullbacks are a major problem. Pudil may be the only Championship standard one we have. 

I suppose we are now clutching at straws, and whilst we expected a tough season, we are probably surprised just how poor we are and how bad it's got recently.

Pudil, considering the above, should at least be in the starting line up - he at least has experience on his side.

I suspect the new manager is going to need him in the 2nd half of the season.

Is there a medical name for 'legs have gone'?

I hear it a lot on here but can't get my head around it.  Unless you've got an injury, your athletic performance isn't going to change much from one season to next, is it?  There isn't a cliff edge that you suddenly drop off (aside from Brexit). 

So do you mean he's got a chronic injury?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SwissOwl8200 said:

I hear it a lot on here but can't get my head around it.  Unless you've got an injury, your athletic performance isn't going to change much from one season to next, is it?  There isn't a cliff edge that you suddenly drop off (aside from Brexit). 

It’s a phrase that irritates me a little. Some of the fastest people on the planet are at Pudil’s age

28 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I thought same yesterday.i like thornily but he nota left back

30 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The player himself says he can no longer play at left back.......................but hey what does he know compared to the experts on here ?

• Haha 2

I would say that Pudil is still better than Fox, Penney or Thorniley in that role.

The fact that we are paying 3 LB salaries, in Pudil, Fox and Penney, and not one are strong enough to keep their place, says a lot about our mess.

31 minutes ago, SwissOwl8200 said:

Some of the strongest fell/mountain runners in the country are in the 35-40 age bracket. If you have some natural talent, are the sort of person who doesn't break easily, train like a b******d and use your brains whilst competing then there's no reason it's not possible to compete very well at championship level.

17 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

Some of the strongest fell/mountain runners in the country are in the 35-40 age bracket. If you have some natural talent, are the sort of person who doesn't break easily, train like a b******d and use your brains whilst competing then there's no reason it's not possible to compete very well at championship level.

Probably true, but are we questioning Pudil’s stamina (although he does seem to get cramp a lot). Fell runners don’t have to compete over 10/20 metre sprints against 21 year olds like a full back does. I just assume that ‘legs have gone’ means ‘can’t quite accelerate/sprint quite as fast as used to’.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Unfortunately Sal. it seems to be a fact.

Gone down with cramp after 75 minutes last two home games he played. And that was at centre back too.