Borukov sores international hattrick and Fletcher scores for Scotland

Steven Fletcher marked his return to the Scotland squad with a goal against Albania on Saturday evening at the Loro Boriçi Stadium.

The Owls striker was recalled to the national side for the first time in 13 months and bagged his 10th goal for his country in the first half.

Ryan Fraser broke the deadlock after 14 minutes in the UEFA Nations League clash.

Then two minutes into first half stoppage time, Fletcher made it 2-0 sending the goalkeeper the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Embedded video

GOAL! Albania 0-2 Scotland

The referee points to the spot after a free-kick is blocked inside the box and Steven Fletcher converts.

Watch the UEFA Nations League live on Sky Sports or follow here: http://skysports.tv/PdslPP 

24 people are talking about this

Two goals after the break from James Forrest sealed an emphatic 4-0 wins for the Scots in Shkoder.

Meanwhile, Preslav Borukov had an afternoon to remember for Bulgaria Under-19s.

The Wednesday Under-23 forward scored a stunning first half hat-trick in his country’s 6-0 win over Gibraltar.

The UEFA Under-19 Championship qualification clash at the Stadion Hadzhi Dimitar saw the Owls youngster score a treble in ten first half minutes.

Goals on 12, 20 and 22 minutes marked Borukov’s first hat-trick on the international stage.

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Well done Borukov. 

Wonder why why he hasn’t been given a go? 

Probably nowhere near the level of the first team yet. Gibraltar Under 19s are hardly a comparable opposition to the teams in the Championship. 

That said, it's good to see him doing well. It'd be nice if, come the last few games of the season if we're safe mid table with nothing to play for, players like him get a shot to see how far off the first team they really are. 

58 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Well done Borukov. 

Wonder why why he hasn’t been given a go? 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's a young lad with bags of potential but he's probably a long way from ready for the first team. He's not big physically and possibly needs a bit more time in the U23 team before moving up.

One thing is for sure under the current manager, when he's ready he will get his chance.

There was a clamour for George Hirst, that other young goal scoring wonder kid, to play in the first team but he's not done much at a lower level since he moved. 1 in 8 according to Wiki. (is he injured or just out of favour?) 

11 minutes ago, james o connor said:

And it begins ... George Hirst mk2

No where near mate GH was banging them in at Under 23's level he was one of the reason we were top 2 or 3 for those 2 season. Borukov seems a reasonable player for his age group but he is not scoring or even playing regularly with the under 23's yet.

When hes banging in 20 goals+ for the under 23's then we can say he might be ready for the first team. 

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

No where near mate GH was banging them in at Under 23's level he was one of the reason we were top 2 or 3 for those 2 season. Borukov seems a reasonable player for his age group but he is not scoring or even playing regularly with the under 23's yet.

When hes banging in 20 goals+ for the under 23's then we can say he might be ready for the first team. 

Kinda think you didn’t get my point . I didn’t want hirst in the first team In the same way I don’t want this lad in it . I’m just worried if he keeps scoring we will have thread after threw about playing him like we did with hirst 

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

Kinda think you didn’t get my point . I didn’t want hirst in the first team In the same way I don’t want this lad in it . I’m just worried if he keeps scoring we will have thread after threw about playing him like we did with hirst 

What I was saying is he isn't prolific enough yet to worry about him getting a first team chance.

Add to that we signed him from a Bulgarian team, I will be surprised if there is not something in that transfer that we have to pay them something when he makes a first team appearance so I don't think we will see this lad until he is truly ready unlike the kids recently Shaw and Rice who got picked for the ride, instead of because they were ready.

18 minutes ago, james o connor said:

If Hirst hadn’t have upset the chairman with his contract demands (apparently); Jos would have played him. 

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

What's his dad's name?

David Fletcher & David Borukov. They both work for Doyen. 

Edited by wilyfox