The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

23 minutes ago, Quist said:

Look at non football income returns for clubs and you will see how poorly located Hillsborough is. Its about access surrounding facilities and parking. After a game if stay to final whistle it is minimum of 30 minutes before I get on to motorway sometimes longer.

What about the many thousands that can walk home ?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Yes they would. They couldhave redeveloped it. They are premier league champions but still don't fill the new ground. Hence the rather embarrassing adverts you hear on the radio.the money comes from more matches being shown on TV. More matches on TV reduces the appetite for people to go to matches. City only moved cos there was a spare stadium left over from the commonwealth games. The very idea that we should leave -rather than redevelop- a great traditional stadium, next to Hillsborough park, which we don't fill at a time when more matches are shown via red button is ludicrous . People are moaning about ticket prices now. Is mr chansiri gonna build a new ground and then lower tickets. We should and will stay at home in hillsborough.

The decision will be based on costs of the options, and the long-term benefits (revenue) - an option assessment or cost benefit analysis. The club will have employed consultants to do this; probably in their first year in charge - particularly as we were 90 mins from the PL. Therefore, they'll know already what they want to do IMO.

People should remember that to stay will cost several million pounds to refurbish and presumably re-build the west stand as a minimum, and whilst this may be the cheapest option, we need to future proof the club and ensure the revenue is realised by staying. I agree we do have a capacity that is adequate for now, However, our first season in the PL could see us restrict the attendance to 33K. Therefore, demand will clearly outstrip supply in say 8 games - what does the club do then?

This will be a decision for the next 50 odd years.

34 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Written 35 years ago - and long before the flawed design of our stadium contributed to the Hillsborough Disaster

The only flaws Hillsborough had were human flaws ...

Don't blame the building ...

Every stadium In the world has flaws ,nothings perfect ...

It's what's added to them that creates the problem ...

And that includes any "structure" too ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Future proof the club by all means however not at vast expense to accommodate something which may never happen.

We can increase our capacity to well within our current and realistic future needs by redevelopment. This would be done without the need to throw away one of the finest FOOTBALL stadiums in the country.

I want to watch English football not some sanitised American franchised corporate event. If people want that, go and watch the steelers. They would be close to the M1 as well for a quick get away back to whichever Sheffield suburb they are travelling from.

Of course we can - but it will cost £10s millions. DC may or may not share your view about Hillsborough being one of the finest football stadiums in the country. Our fans rightly look at Hillsborough with pride and emotion - this will also play a part in the decision I'm sure.

51 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Yes they would. They couldhave redeveloped it. They are premier league champions but still don't fill the new ground. Hence the rather embarrassing adverts you hear on the radio.the money comes from more matches being shown on TV. More matches on TV reduces the appetite for people to go to matches. City only moved cos there was a spare stadium left over from the commonwealth games. The very idea that we should leave -rather than redevelop- a great traditional stadium, next to Hillsborough park, which we don't fill at a time when more matches are shown via red button is ludicrous . People are moaning about ticket prices now. Is mr chansiri gonna build a new ground and then lower tickets. We should and will stay at home in hillsborough.

We will stay there for now. We will move in the future

10 minutes ago, Quist said:

It is extremely unlikely all things considered we would choose to rebuild at present site.

Are you saying it’s extremely unlikely just because you think we may/may not be health and safety concerns over building a stand whilst playing games? 

All this talk about Reading is a bit daft. Easily the most successful spell in their history has coincided with moving to a new stadium and now all of a sudden, 20 years later, this new stadium is supposed to be responsible for them being near the bottom of the league.

22 hours ago, Quist said:

No he looked at it when took over the club. Apparently it was just too expensive so did not get very far. It came from right source so know it was true.

the problem would be the flooding, once the land is 'blighted' in such a way, then the major part of it's value has gone.

it couldn't be used as building land as houses on the land would struggle for insurance.

had that not been the case mm may not have been keen on such an undertaking himself, but would have wanted it as a bargaining tool in negotiations with any interested parties.

16 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Are you saying it’s extremely unlikely just because you think we may/may not be health and safety concerns over building a stand whilst playing games? 

In a nutshell I do not think a business case to rebuild Hillsborough at current location would stack up. It would be more advantageous to do it from a different site. I have no idea where that site would actually be. 

The health and safety concerns of rebuilding at Hillsborough would be a factor in determining if or how much of stadium could be reused during any rebuilding process. I do not think some of problems are easily over come and would have to be factored into any project.

1 hour ago, the monk said:

What about the many thousands that can walk home ?

Idea is to make club attractive to more people and if you want bigger attendancies need to cater for all. It may be possible to ensure thousands can still walk home who knows.

10 minutes ago, dnhc said:

the problem would be the flooding, once the land is 'blighted' in such a way, then the major part of it's value has gone.

it couldn't be used as building land as houses on the land would struggle for insurance.

had that not been the case mm may not have been keen on such an undertaking himself, but would have wanted it as a bargaining tool in negotiations with any interested parties.

I think you could be correct and flooding is a major problem. insurance for all businesses in flood zone is higher as well as domestic insurance.

11 minutes ago, Quist said:

In a nutshell I do not think a business case to rebuild Hillsborough at current location would stack up. It would be more advantageous to do it from a different site. I have no idea where that site would actually be. 

The health and safety concerns of rebuilding at Hillsborough would be a factor in determining if or how much of stadium could be reused during any rebuilding process. I do not think some of problems are easily over come and would have to be factored into any project.

There’d be a business case for a new stadium in comparison to a complete refurb. Both very expensive. They’d also be a business case for replacing what we can with what we can afford when we can afford it, which is really a much more plausible scenario.

7 minutes ago, Quist said:

I think you could be correct and flooding is a major problem. insurance for all businesses in flood zone is higher as well as domestic insurance.

All can be overcome by engineering solutions. The main reason the valley was flooded in 2005 was historical poor maintenance of the Don. Of course this is out of the hands of private businesses but there are more demands and regs on the EA and government in general.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fatzooma said:

Olive Grove?

Olive Grove was Wednesday ground for just over 10 years.

Hillsborough for nearly 120 years with loads of people with stories of fathers, grandfathers and some even further back going to games at S6.

Will take new ground 100 years if at all to build up that sort of character.