The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

24 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

The Chairman had consistently said he has plenty of money to spend but can't because of FFP

Infrastructure expenditure isn't included in FFP

Whilst both points are correct.  

Moving grounds will never happen.  

Guest Jack the Hat
3 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Your not getting it!

city have moved to a ground even closer to the city centre not to an industrial estate next to a motorway and Brighton were playing football outside Brighton for years then at the god awful  Withdean stadium after that so any permanent home was an improvement!

The one thing all the teams I’ve mentioned have in common is they all gambled on a return to the promised land and a full stadium based on a blueprint of sky millions to sustain them.

Reading have the lowest prices in the division and struggle to half fill the soulless money draining monstrosity even with subsidised public transport!

Plus I know plenty of city fans who hate the new stadium and would go back to Maine Road at the drop of a hat.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
7 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

The suggestion you make to flatten the markets has zero chance of happening

Errr. Ok

Theyve already done half of it

A view of the old market site where Sheffield Castle once stood. Picture: Dean Atkins

Guest Grez Bez
9 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Errr. Ok

Theyve already done half of it

A view of the old market site where Sheffield Castle once stood. Picture: Dean Atkins

I agree it would be a superb place and FANTASTIC for Sheffield but...

They are using it as an archaeological dig for Sheffield castle remnants.

I 'drew' this years ago;

post-22045-0-90824600-1463077876_thumb.png

3 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

something like san siro would be a cracking design (obviouslyless seats) ,best ground ive been too for atmosphere 

Been there, a twot to get too, nearest tube station 40 mins walk, buses from milan city centre take forever...if you think Hillsborough traffic is bad, you should go there and find out what bad is

2 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Agree here Drew ..

The club needs to move forward 

But not in logistical terms 

SWFC is Hillsborough ...........

buy Penistone road and make it a long driveway up to the ground , sorted we could call it "THE WEDNESDAY WAY "   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Quist said:

No I am not. What are you actually arguing for?.

Hillsborough is poorly located for transport is not in city centre. If we did move stadiums I am sure it would be because we were in PL and probably started to become established. My view is that if we did move at this time only feasible option would be to move to new stadium. This is basically down to issue of trying to upgrade stadium and locating to somewhere where non football income could be maximised. I personally have no idea where we could move to in the city? I am sure somewhere could be found and it would not be to everyone's satisfaction.

The cost of using a bus to reading stadium is incredibly high far higher than transport costs in Sheffield. Reading is a town of newcomers to the place, it has benefited from being near to London, it was until after war a quiet market town famous for biscuits and agriculture.. Now loads of high tech jobs (Microsoft, Oracle,etc some very high paid) and people from all over the place. The fans who go are rarely folks new to town and core support is made up of old Reading faithful who were born and bred in town. Lots go to Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham from this area and others like me support a club from where they grew up. 

The atmosphere is nothing to do with stadium its the product of the town. The fans I know who support Reading actually like stadium previous one was a real dump. They required a new stadium a bit like Rotherham and Doncaster. If we do nothing with ours it will eventually fall into derelict category hence the debate to upgrade.

Reading have special match day busses from the train station to the ground and back at a cost of £2 each way which makes it extremely comparable to Sheffield but they’re under used because no one wants to go out to a soulless business park next to a motorway!

With match day prices being the cheapest in the division AND subsidised busses to and from the ground they still struggle to half fill it.

They also have a hotel which is NEVER anywhere near full built into the ground which is also a massive white elephant!

Reading will be lucky to survive in the championship this season and could easily end up back in the third tier of English football with massive outgoings and minimal income.

Should this happen Reading would be in grave danger of being the first EFL club to go into liquidation as a direct result of moving to a pre packed soulless out of town bowl that locals have absolutely no affiliation to !

Be careful what you wish for!

Edited by casbahowl
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Quist said:

If this was done we would be in Premier League and gates would be higher. An average is just that which means some gates are far higher and others lower. It would be a huge loss. 

If you shut one stand it could/would possibly have knock on effects to other stands as would have to be safe distance from any building work, You may see parts of adjacent stands cordoned off. We would be obliged to give seats to away fans. This would mean administrative cost of locating fans to different parts of stadium. Access routes for fans to stand would have to be re thought and if deemed in an emergency could not get safely out another stand may have to close as well as one being refurbished.

Health and safety and SAG would have field day. 

Before responding I suggest you actually apply some logic to situation and not just trying to put tins on shelves. 

You may get away with it in league 1 but absolutely no chance when work comes to be done. Not sure how long you have been in land of make believe but read about our ongoing battles with SAG and you will see what you have said is absolutely tripe.

On that basis I suggest you try doing some scale measurements on your favoured north of Meadowhall site (the one between Ecclesfield Road and Blackburn Road) and explain to us all how you are possibly going to fit a football stadium in there? The site is long enough granted but it is nowhere near wide enough!

4 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

It was nothing to do with the Ricoh, and everything to do with ridiculous decisions on funding

The ricoh is a great stadium. Coventry were shafted by the council, have an awful tenancy agreement and have an awful income stream as a result. Proper done over.