Do you know what ....

It has been bloody ages since I have left Hillsborough after playing a top team in the division, feeling we were the better team. In a perverse sort of way, it is a good feeling, and not one I have felt too often over recent seasons.

Tonight, we went toe to toe with a team that are going to be challenging for automatic promotion, and for 80 plus minutes, we were better than them. 

Naivity, ultimately cost us, but contrast how you feel after this game with how you felt on Friday. I left after the Leeds game thinking we were so fortunate to gain a point against one of the early pace setters. Contrast this with the performance tonight.

Tonight, we raised our game, made West Brom look pretty ordinary and should have won. But it is that fact that encourages me.

How many times during the past few seasons have we played poorly against the better teams in the division ? How many times playing those teams, have we looked frail, disjointed and bereft of ideas ?

Yes, I know 3 points tonight would have been brilliant, and we did deserve them, but taking points from WBA, Leeds, Stoke and Villa, is no mean thing, and is something we certainly would not have achieved against the better teams last year.

So, be angry and frustrated, but there are signs of us becoming a pretty difficult team to overcome, and there in lies the hope.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's good to see and read a positive thread on this site for a change ,yes I'm disappointed with the result could have been 3pts instead of 1pt wasn't to be though. I can't believe that many on here can be so bloody negative,it's not like we've just been hammered by WBA and that people are saying that they were ordinary,maybe we made them look ordinary for a big percentage of the game.

Onward Upwards.

UTO

• Thanks 1

Totally agree with the OP.

I would normally be angrymad and drive like an idiot for 2.5 hours on the way home.

I just stayed calm whilst driving like an idiot last night.

2 minutes of madness unfortunately spoilt what would have been a standing ovation at the end

Everyone would have taken a point before the match. Getting a point the way we did felt like a loss. I'm still struggling to see it positively to be honest. 2 stupid substitutions, a pathetic bit of defensive work and a forward who looked disinterested are overshadowing what was a decent performance. Better than decent in fact, we were 2 up and cruising. I just can't help but be annoyed about it. 

1 minute ago, latemodelchild said:

Everyone would have taken a point before the match. Getting a point the way we did felt like a loss. I'm still struggling to see it positively to be honest. 2 stupid substitutions, a pathetic bit of defensive work and a forward who looked disinterested are overshadowing what was a decent performance. Better than decent in fact, we were 2 up and cruising. I just can't help but be annoyed about it. 

Pretty much agreed with this post. Joao was awful when he came on and didn’t win a thing and Kirby looked too lightweight. Joey should’ve used his nous to take the player down. Disappointing end to the game as we played very well for 80 minutes and we made West Brom look ordinary.

The morning after the night before, still a little disappointed we didn't see the game out having done so well. But, all in all we've acquitted ourselves well against good sides, the high of being on the right side of a come back v Stoke, a good win at Villa, gritty point v Leeds and a very good performance for 80 minutes last night, bar some naivety at the end.

Cause for optimism, the group of players seem together and getting some rhythm in our play. What plessed me most lsst night was the quick transition to attack with real energy  and hope this could be as effective at Bristol.

Still cause for optimism and see signs this team are developing as a group 

Guest Hillsborough Mole

I really don't like the manager

But he did everything right last night, except for the last 10 minutes. The formation and tactics were excellent and put us in the position we found ourselves with a great chance of beating them

Sadly he let himself down with his substitutes,  and it beggars belief that Fletcher was left on the bench.

Still. Onwards and upwards. 

The 3 WBA subs have kicking on for 150 caps between them. Their squad quality is on an entirely different level to ours, yet we were so close to beating them with a motley mix of 2 loan players, some kids plucked from the youth team and big Adthe up front. 

We are having a really positive season, last night included. 

2 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I really don't like the manager

But he did everything right last night, except for the last 10 minutes. The formation and tactics were excellent and put us in the position we found ourselves with a great chance of beating them

Sadly he let himself down with his substitutes,  and it beggars belief that Fletcher was left on the bench.

Still. Onwards and upwards. 

The manager is doing a tremendous job. I do find these comments about not liking him increasingly bizarre.

7 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

It has been bloody ages since I have left Hillsborough after playing a top team in the division, feeling we were the better team. In a perverse sort of way, it is a good feeling, and not one I have felt too often over recent seasons.

Tonight, we went toe to toe with a team that are going to be challenging for automatic promotion, and for 80 plus minutes, we were better than them. 

Naivity, ultimately cost us, but contrast how you feel after this game with how you felt on Friday. I left after the Leeds game thinking we were so fortunate to gain a point against one of the early pace setters. Contrast this with the performance tonight.

Tonight, we raised our game, made West Brom look pretty ordinary and should have won. But it is that fact that encourages me.

How many times during the past few seasons have we played poorly against the better teams in the division ? How many times playing those teams, have we looked frail, disjointed and bereft of ideas ?

Yes, I know 3 points tonight would have been brilliant, and we did deserve them, but taking points from WBA, Leeds, Stoke and Villa, is no mean thing, and is something we certainly would not have achieved against the better teams last year.

So, be angry and frustrated, but there are signs of us becoming a pretty difficult team to overcome, and there in lies the hope.

Good post, naivety is the key word, following the o.g the team should have shut up shop, Barnes should have received a ‘tap whilst out of the 18 yards area, he’s not a Cruyff, someone should have least attempted to get a foot on the ball when he was tip tapping through the pen box. But then again we could have scored a third and they could have been awarded a soft pen and we’re foiled by the woodwork,  all in all I’m happy with our performance.

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Joao seemed to have gone back to his arrogant (im a demi god) old way. 

He doesn't function on his own up front. Fletcher always seems to give a lot more. 

Nuhiu seemed to spend a lot of time in the first half out of the central attacker position. Better in second half. We still need a lethal C.F. Will Winnal be the answer? He is good at heading. Was the leading goalscorer for headed goals before he came to us. We have better players and tactics to get the ball into the right area for his headed goals now.

Regarding Joeys lack of cropping Barnes sometime during his 60 yard run is difficult to understand considering his normal aggressive tackling. Barnes wouldn't have been allowed to run from his own half by anyone else. The sky commentators said a professional foul should have been given away. 

Would Bannan or Hutch have let him run that far?

No.

Hutch definitely wouldn't!