Man City at home 2002...

To give the possibilities on away followings.

The standing part including the corner was 10k. The seats today is 4100 and that might be a little reduced

The maximum was 14k and I reckon the Geordies filled it.

Sort of remember the away fan coaches being double parked all the way up Halifax Road to Wadsley Bridge club and beyond. 

Reckon the bus back to High Green did not get there until 7pm 

Could have walked it quicker

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

About 12000 Geordies in 83/84 when we beat them 4 - 2.

Might have been more

Thought it was about 14k, certainly biggest away support I've seen at Hillsborough  (missed Coventry in Cup due to work, but think they also filled it).

Older lads will remember Man Utd and Villa bringing more in 70s.

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

Thought it was about 14k, certainly biggest away support I've seen at Hillsborough  (missed Coventry in Cup due to work, but think they also filled it).

I was edging my bets until I checked the capacity levels. But yep Coventry City would be up there, Man U always filled it.

Can I also make a case for the lowest. I once stood on the Kop corner behind the 4 Blackpool fans at an early round league cup tie. 

Newcastle has part of the north on Boxing Day in recent years. Don’t think they was supposed to but they brought that many in fancy dress they had the very end block which isn’t normally sold. 

No trouble from what I remember. Think both sets of supporters had a good laugh. We drew 1-1 I think 

Are you thinking of Hull at home in League One?

They brought a ridiculous amount and I don’t think we expected it. Remember them still filtering into the ground all through the first half. They filled at least both tiers and the corner, and I seem to recall at least the end strip of seats of the North being segregated off as further overspill. Can’t remember if it was needed or not?

Only clubs who have ever officially had any of North stand, apart from semi finals, rangers friendly etc, were the ones after the disaster, starting with WHU in a midweek game.  Leppings Lane end was closed with a blue tarpaulin covering lower terrace.  They won 2-0 I think.  No minutes silence was held. 

6 hours ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

Newcastle has part of the north on Boxing Day in recent years. Don’t think they was supposed to but they brought that many in fancy dress they had the very end block which isn’t normally sold. 

No trouble from what I remember. Think both sets of supporters had a good laugh. We drew 1-1 I think 

If it's same game I'm thinking of there certainly was trouble and the Newcastle fans got kicked off with their tails between their legs. (Strange old saying, don't know where else they'd be).

On 30/09/2018 at 09:42, OWL1969 said:

Yeah, I remember the Newcastle game, leppings lane looked chocca that day, fantastic support from the Geordies but we stuffed them 4 - 2. I think Keegan was their manager at the time....

Yep, and I was at the 2 matches in the 70's where Man. Utd. fans in that match and Villa supporters in that one were on the kop. I don't know whether the Police put them there because there were just so many of them, or they just went on there, but for both of those games, the away fans virtually filled the kop. And there were some away supporters on the Lepp as well! Talk about outnumbered!!

I honestly couldn't say how many away fans were at both those games, but as a 12 year old it was scary to see!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Italian Stallion said:

Yeah, I remember the Newcastle game, leppings lane looked chocca that day, fantastic support from the Geordies but we stuffed them 4 - 2. I think Keegan was their manager at the time....

Yep, and I was at the 2 matches in the 70's where Man. Utd. fans in that match and Villa supporters in that one were on the kop. I don't know whether the Police put them there because there were just so many of them, or they just went on there, but for both of those games, the away fans virtually filled the kop. And there were some away supporters on the Lepp as well! Talk about outnumbered!!

I honestly couldn't say how many away fans were at both those games, but as a 12 year old it was scary to see!!! 

Correct except Arthur Cox was the manager. Keegan was playing along Mcdermott and a youthful Beardsley, not sure whether Waddle was playing too. 

On 30/09/2018 at 07:19, mkowl said:

About 12000 Geordies in 83/84 when we beat them 4 - 2.

Might have been more

I've been going since late 70s and Coventry brought the most fans i can remember the year they won the cup, 87?

They filled the Lepp as the lower tier and corner were terracing.

That Newcastle game was brilliant with a brilliant atmosphere and they couldn't handle Bannister, Varadi and even Tony Cunningham.

I'm sure Banno had his shorts ripped and changed them in front of the South Stand

8 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

I've been going since late 70s and Coventry brought the most fans i can remember the year they won the cup, 87?

They filled the Lepp as the lower tier and corner were terracing.

That Newcastle game was brilliant with a brilliant atmosphere and they couldn't handle Bannister, Varadi and even Tony Cunningham.

I'm sure Banno had his shorts ripped and changed them in front of the South Stand

Forgot to state that the Sky Blues fetched 15,000 that day.

On 30/09/2018 at 00:36, Mardy Bum said:

Rangers is the biggest away support Iv seen and that was a friendly. The segregation is ridiculous now.

Man Utd in 1974 is biggest following I've seen at Hillsborough, attendance was 35,000, they must have been close to 20,000 Man U fans, had about 90% of kop and Leppings lane end and they were loads in North stand. 

Only one near this is Villa in last home game of same season, attendance was only 23,000 but we had been relegated weeks earlier, I'd say they were around 15,000 Villa fans with a lot of them on kop.

On 30/09/2018 at 14:35, sheffield_dave said:

Are you thinking of Hull at home in League One?

They brought a ridiculous amount and I don’t think we expected it. Remember them still filtering into the ground all through the first half. They filled at least both tiers and the corner, and I seem to recall at least the end strip of seats of the North being segregated off as further overspill. Can’t remember if it was needed or not?

Nah. Memory playing tricks there mate.

i was on the north stand that night by leppings lane end.

They didn’t fill the corner at all - although there did end up being some in hull fans in there goading the Wednesday fans. 

none of the north was segregated off it was probably just stewards standing between to stop people pointing at each other.

On 30/09/2018 at 00:30, OWL1969 said:

Also remember Wolves once had a section on the end of the North.

Obviously straight after the disaster in 89 a few clubs got a section of it only one I can remember though were Boro for the notable Whitton game when they also had a few in the triangle on the Kop.

West Ham and Norwich were the other two.  We had season tickets in the wing section of the North Stand as it was called then and got moved (actually to better seats) to accommodate the away fans for those games.