Time to turn up

I'd love to turn up a bit more, but I can only make weekend matches as a general rule, and we've not got another Saturday game at Hillsborough until 3rd November, which seems vaguely ridiculous bearing in mind our previous Saturday home game was on 15th September.

To go 50 days without a Saturday home game during the typically-football-packed autumn months isn't going to help our attendances, I'd imagine.

It cant be judged on how many newbies turn up for a one-off cheap offer.

its about a trickle of newbies throughout the season(s) 

My bro in law has moved to within half hour of Hillsborough and went to his first ever game at home to ipswich earlier this season, he loved it. yet the atmosphere wasnt great at all. good idea to take him friday night, hell love it.. but no chance at them prices when its on TV though.

and thats what i mean, hes not an owls fan, but he can be turned. for that to happen he needs to go to games. at £40+ most weeks we are not gonna get these one-offs in, while we might not see the damage now, its the future fanbase i worry about, there wont be one!

All the threads on ere about 'first ever game' etc.... some great stories but most of you it was off the cuff, not planned, tagged along with a mate straight out the pub.... thats not gonna happen at these prices. the natural trickle of new fans is a disappearing art!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Watto said:

Disgusting pricing again from the club, it would make sense ( at those prices) if it wasn't being televised but come on Friday night on sky , you'd think the club would revise the prices when we are on TV but like a previous poster has said we get £250k so it's peanuts for a few extra thousand on the gate. Missing a treat for me , over 30 000 if pricing is right and more fans getting behind the team.

Yeah but it’d seem that the club are oblivious to common sense at times

Im a season ticket holder but I wouldn’t mind in the slightest if tickets were £20 for games that are live on Sky

I reckon we could see the first Sheffield Derby for years that struggles to hit 28000 this year

Our matches against Leeds have been on sky quite a few times in the recent past. Pre Chansiri and with reasonable prices these games attracted crowds of 27-29k. Not a bad crowd generating a pretty good big match atmosphere making the Leeds game one of the seasons highlights. On Friday I'd be surprised if the crowd is more than 24k and the atmosphere will be similar to a game against Preston North End. Regardless of the financial argument, which nobody can ever seem to prove one way or another, it seems a shame that the season ticket holders(let's face it, nobody else will be there) are going to be forced to sit in a half empty stadium with the Leeds fans mocking us for our empty seats. At least the traffic won't be too bad getting home eh? Well done Mr Chansiri,well done!

You see, the way I look at it, its 40 quid to watch second tier football at a ground that has seen better days, where the matchday experience isn't particularly amazing and where I have to rush around to get there. Game could be sh*t too. It's also on television.

What could I spend 40 quid on? A lovely two course meal at Gusto with a couple of drinks. Big night out plus a lush curry. Shed load of music or books. A video game. All these things are pretty much a known standard - ie, I know the level of quality and what I'm going to get from then. Can't say the same about Wednesday, sadly.

Football, especially at that price, comes very low down in that pecking order for me. I can spend £40 and it may not be a particularly good experience. I'm therefore not really that interested. Do it for £20 and I'd consider it. I'd even consider pay £20 now and then another £20 if Wednesday win.

Chairman keep citing football is a business so I approach it like I'm a customer now and my money can/does get spent on other things.

• Like 1

I honestly can't help but think DC has no idea about the wealth of the fanbase, the fact that certain things in life actually come BEFORE football and if he dropped £40 from his pocket whether he could be ar*ed to bend down and pick it up.

Its like..Folk tell him..and he giggles sayin'... "oohh stop it off"

He needs to go down a pub at Hillsborough on a Saturday night, instead of the "orchestrated" bloody speech fests he arranges and ask the fans what they think, without having the answers filtered through a medium on his home ground.......

12 minutes ago, Jaybeeowl said:

Our matches against Leeds have been on sky quite a few times in the recent past. Pre Chansiri and with reasonable prices these games attracted crowds of 27-29k. Not a bad crowd generating a pretty good big match atmosphere making the Leeds game one of the seasons highlights. On Friday I'd be surprised if the crowd is more than 24k and the atmosphere will be similar to a game against Preston North End. Regardless of the financial argument, which nobody can ever seem to prove one way or another, it seems a shame that the season ticket holders(let's face it, nobody else will be there) are going to be forced to sit in a half empty stadium with the Leeds fans mocking us for our empty seats. At least the traffic won't be too bad getting home eh? Well done Mr Chansiri,well done!

Only 21,224 turned up for game when we won 6-0 and this included over 3,000 Leeds fans. 

8 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

You see, the way I look at it, its 40 quid to watch second tier football at a ground that has seen better days, where the matchday experience isn't particularly amazing and where I have to rush around to get there. Game could be sh*t too. It's also on television.

What could I spend 40 quid on? A lovely two course meal at Gusto with a couple of drinks. Big night out plus a lush curry. Shed load of music or books. A video game. All these things are pretty much a known standard - ie, I know the level of quality and what I'm going to get from then. Can't say the same about Wednesday, sadly.

Football, especially at that price, comes very low down in that pecking order for me. I can spend £40 and it may not be a particularly good experience. I'm therefore not really that interested. Do it for £20 and I'd consider it. I'd even consider pay £20 now and then another £20 if Wednesday win.

Chairman keep citing football is a business so I approach it like I'm a customer now and my money can/does get spent on other things.

Can’t argue with that tbh

Ultimately parachute payments are driving up the cost of football in the second tier. The sooner they’re done away with the better

Wont happen tho

57 minutes ago, torres said:

It was Bolton

On a Saturday

At 3pm

£20.00

About 1500-2000 non season ticket holders turned up

I'm sure thats not the only match we've charged £20.00.

The club are starting to get other things right, the one thing that stands out as being ridiculously is the POTG ticket prices.

The thing is if the club could get these right then the sloppy marketing, among other things,  would become less of a problem as people wouldn't be paying premium prices for mid table football.

Even if it was top of the table football these prices are still wrong even for the prem.

I recognize hat it is better to get people to become ST holders however I think DC has misjudged the potential revenue from fans in exile, of which there are many.

It is clear DC is learning but he hasn't learnt his lesson on this one yet. 

3 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

What would you pay for POTG?

The prices are high but the whole priced out argument doesn't  apply to everyone.

Would you not pay those prices just out of principle?

It's way too much for an average working man. I'd pay that amount on the occasions that I choose. A sky match would not be one of those occasions as I could watch it anyway.  If the current prices aren't an issue for any individual, then well done and good luck to them. They've either done well for themselves or they have few family commitments. To a bloke earning £8-10 per hour it's a massive amount of money. Football is supposedly the working mans game but sadly, the working man is being priced out. This is why sports like darts are getting crowds. Good entertainment, aimed at the working class for a reasonable price. 

The way I look at it..I can afford a season ticket...That will change in the next 2 years or so, but at the minute Its affordable, so its beyond stupid not to buy a season ticket , if you can afford it..

I know I'm going to be trotting down there so "hey ho"....I enjoy it

There are some folk who can't ante up £450 at a go to get a season ticket...without gettin' into debt..and you have to realise that these folk who can't afford to ante up £450 at a go...probably have a little more on their minds than Sheffield Wednesday Football club..So what are thier options...Odd f.ookin' matches at £20?..It would P*ss me off no end...

How long before fans become insulted by that..... "Let them eat cake" crap?

We are fast approaching the EFL FFP..or profit and sustainability..or whateverthef,ook..and its hardly looking great is it?

The club still alienates not only our fanbase, but away supporters as well...You can slag Leeds off all you like..We did it  when they went down this road, but they will turn up in numbers Friday, as we rip the p*ss with the prices and laugh about it..

because in this tribal football world of ours...ripping Leeds fans off is a laugh isn't it?..while we rail like f.ook about them doing it to us..and rail like f.ook about US doing it to US.

These Owls fans who don't trot up now because of these prices are more or less lost, through a lack of comprehension that the prices are too high for a lot of Wednesday fans, 

You give them the "odd" game at £20..they are so p*ssed off that they feel insulted by it...and think "F.ook you"...

When we hit the hard times...Chansiri said they were coming..Who are we gonna turn to?...Who's gonna pick up the slack...?

There will be a few..I admit I'll be one if affordable..But really?..just how many fans will not only refuse to rally to the call but think that the club is not theirs anymore..The club had left them behind years ago...not revel in it..but certainly think.. "well f.ook you!"

Its shortsighted, its beyond ludicrous..but the be all and end all of it....its not fair, its not Sheffield Wednesday...its summat I don't recognise in Sheffield Wednesday....Its something I don't recognise in football

I'm here, held in thrall cos its what ive done since the 60's..Its the most important thing outside of family...its the most important thing in sport...All of a sudden..They don't give a f.ookin' flyer about me, and hundreds like me?

Short sighted idiocy, ..Chansiri Whitters "The Wednesday Family"..Lets be honest..he's cantin' crap!

Edited by asteener1867
  • Like 3