How did we make them look so good

2 minutes ago, ipswichowl said:

I can sort of see your point.  It's like England. I think it's the way to progress.  But players need to know when going long is the right option. Also there's nonppiny just lumping it. It needs to be with a purpose like putting it into the channels for Lucas or Mathias to run on to, ither wise it looks dreadful and gets the crowds back up.

Again, like England it will only get better with time and practice with the system that inevitably means there will be bumps along the way. We don't need to be so black and white.  There's plenty of grey area in between.

I understand that the game is going this way, I just hate that teams think that going long is a no go. If it's done correctly like you say it's a very effective way of playing football. We had the luxury of two 6"5 + up top tonight and they we didn't use that advantage enough. So frustrating to watch. We looked beaten at 1-0. 

Guest The Horse

It's like a broken record now with Wednesday...

Always start slow.

Try to lull the opposites into playing at pre-season pace.

But that just gives the opposition confidence.

We then have to fight and struggle to just do the basics.

Wake up either after half an hour or conceding a goal. Or two as it seems to be this week.

Clean sheets are a thing of the past which puts enormous pressure on everyone from kick off.

Just once, I'd like to see us start a game by taking it to the opposition.

We're too nice, too soft and so so easy to score against.

In that situation, just try to outscore by going balls-out Keegan style.

If we're going to concede goals every game, at least do it whilst looking to score goals of our own.

16 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Too deep, passive, and messing about with the ball in our own 3rd. It's a set up that often makes the opposition look better than they are. 

Genuinely can't understand why we do it.

If you have a player like Joao playing on the last man, then you at least have a potential outlet. But we had Nuhiu up there and Joao playing on the left wing, often inside our own half and receiving the ball with his back to goal with 2 players on him. 

Plenty of poor individual performances tonight, but it's almost understandable because the first half set up gave them no chance to impose themselves on the game. 

Exactly, awful tactics from Jos tonight, not for the first time.

I like Jos. i think hes doing a good job.

But sorry to say the OP is spot on. 

Were better than what we played tonight. i can take losing. but give it a bit of a go ffs.

Joao no-where near the last man all night! why? Matias.. even when everyone said he was crap a few years ago he would always look dangerous and make a half chance, ATM he just looks workmanlike, 

I am soooo not a long ball merchant, never have been, but ffs were getting boxed in and in trouble everytime we go short and our front 2/3 are starved of any service..

If your a bit dodgy at the back but have loads of quality options in the final third, then why do we continue to end up back at our CBs even if we have a throw in deep in their half.. its crazy.

im starting to think if we had some dinosaur manager who played the percentages game a bit more. we could be a very dangerous outfit. ATM we are our own worst enemy!!

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Well not good, but good enough to beat a spineless Wednesday outfit. Forget the poor individual performances, and there were plenty of those. That performance was shaped by our managers timid tactics. Practically every game it’s the same, we surrender the initiative to the opposition Yes, sometimes we get away with it, but why make it so hard for ourselves. His timid approach drives me bonkers

Agree.. we're going to lose playing like that anyway...may as well try playing to our strengths and go down gloriously.

I know it seems unsporting but I also think Forest weren't up to much.

We weren't playing a great side, and yet we seemed to set up and approach the game as though we were.

Not as bad as the 2nd half against Brentford but there are parallels with how we just seemed to 'give up' with 30 minutes still left to play.

And Jos, please, don't forget you can make substitutions at any time in the game; you don't have to wait until the last 20 minutes, and you certainly don't have to wait until the game's beyond reach. Better to be proactive than reactive.

I’d love to see a Brian Laws type manager with this squad of players, in fact fizz it I’ll say it, I’d love to see Brian Laws with this squad of players,  someone with bollcks to set up and go at teams.

I like so much of what Jos is doing, but these lacklustre, stand off, starts infuriate me. Yes there are better sides than us, but all these tactics seem to do, is hand the initiative to, not only lesser sides, but also out of form, better sides. That was the case again last night, Forest seemed nervous, probably wary of our record there, but within 10 minutes, they realised we were happy to sit back.

It started under Carlos, following an exciting season of up and at em football, he resorted to standing off sides, and trying to grind out result. He did also have some success with these tactics, although it certainly drove me away. Maybe he thought our ageing side wasn’t capable of front foot football? Now, Jos seems to have picked up the mantle, despite now having a younger fitter team. It’s frustrating to watch, and it must be frustrating to play this way, and it negates the talents of players like Joao, Matias and Forestieri. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Well not good, but good enough to beat a spineless Wednesday outfit. Forget the poor individual performances, and there were plenty of those. That performance was shaped by our managers timid tactics. Practically every game it’s the same, we surrender the initiative to the opposition Yes, sometimes we get away with it, but why make it so hard for ourselves. His timid approach drives me bonkers

Spot on guru

I've yet to see a more boring team than us this season

thought it was a typical championship game ….not much between the two sides and the first goal as always was crucial …….I certainly didn't see any lack of effort from our lot that others have alluded to. some mediocre performances yes but lack of effort nah .

45 minutes ago, torryowl said:

thought it was a typical championship game ….not much between the two sides and the first goal as always was crucial …….I certainly didn't see any lack of effort from our lot that others have alluded to. some mediocre performances yes but lack of effort nah .

I would agree, there wasn’t a lack of effort at all. We were put on the back foot by by the tactics that handed the initiative to Forest They were allowed to ease their way into the game, and their creative players then took advantage

6 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

The sooner people realise we are a mid table ream the better this forum will be 

Whether that’s true or not, we can still be an exciting mid table team. Who knows, when the likes of Joao, Matias and Forestieri, are allowed more scope to concentrate on their day jobs, we might actually look better than a mid table side

4 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

The sooner people realise we are a mid table ream the better this forum will be 

Yes, that's right.

A middling manager and a middling team, at least when without the services of Hooper, FF and Lee.

And not forgetting captain chaos himself, Mr. Dejphon Chansiri.

We're a modest little outfit with much to be modest about.