Our Midfield 3 starts - Wow!

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

With Joey-Bannan-Reach playing...

P13. W9. D2. L2 

2.23 Pts per game - equates to 102 point season.

Sometimes our personal opinion of one player’s ability makes us lose sight that it’s partnerships and the team that wins matches, not individuals.

I’m a clear example of that. I haven’t been a big fan of Joey, but I hadn’t spotted just how successful our team is when these three play together. That is one extraordinary record, and it’s almost a third of a season so hardly a flash in the pan.

If (and of course it’s only an If) it is the case that Jos has unearthed a golden trio, then look-out League, because these three are the fittest lads in the game and play 90 minutes week in week out. Add to this we have Onomah and even KL battling for a place, but it’s clear to me that Jos will be in no hurry to split up this fantastic three.

Which is probably why Jos is focussing on team effort by individuals...

17 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Excellent fact finding @holmeowl

Not a huge statto myself but it just shows that they can be a good backup to what we see with the naked eye. 

It's nice to see that we have a manager in place who is trying to work out the best way to make us a competitive team unit and find the balance in having players who complement each other in the team as well as making us a more effective whole, rather than  just tying to fill the team sheet with the best players and hoping they pull of a moment of brilliance. 

Key to that is obviously getting game changers in their best areas of the park.  Which the current set up is allowing us to do. 

I do believe this answer has been staring us in the face for three years, and though only suppositon and my own personal belief I do think we'd now be in the Premier league if this had been implemented sooner when we had an overall better squad like when Loovens, Westwood, Wallace, Hunt were in their prime offering their experience to the show.

41073927_318404125583799_507975572475871

Still.  We've got there in the end under Jos.

I just hope that we now show some patience as he tries to weave our youngsters into the group replacing some very experienced Senior pros. 

It might take time. But I do believe we're now at least on the right track and will make strides toward promotion in the coming years.

Fair point but it falls down in the last sentence, fans are no longer willing to give managers time to build a team, after every loss come's the inevitable manager out threads and the cries for instant success gets ever louder.  

I'm still not convinced by Jos but that's more about the entertainment factor but he needs time to get the players to play his way and buy into his ethos.  Progress is slow but feel that you can see players adjusting positively to his style.

His enemy is time I hope that he is given enough.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Watson said:

I'm still not convinced by Jos but that's more about the entertainment factor but he needs time to get the players to play his way and buy into his ethos

It seems he is trying to drive good things.

In a recent post match interview he said there was a period where the team played long ball too often...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Perhaps the one area that doesn’t seem quite right, is the attack, although there were signs of it clicking in the last game. I think the personnel are correct, they just need to make slight adjustments to the way they play.

Really?

29 goals in our most recent 15 matches, which btw is when Joey-Bannan-Reach got together, equates to an 89 goal season!

Last season’s top scores were Wolves with 82 and Fulham with 79. Interesting....very interesting.

We scored 66,59 and 60 in our Carlos seasons. 

Again, I think it’s more than fair to say that our record over 15 games is no flash in the pan. It’s one third of a season.

Im beginning to get goosebumps and wonder if we are being overly critical of individuals ((Joey and Nuhiu being the obvious ones) when in fact Jos has sneeked up on us with what is becoming a superb blend of a team.

Dare I even whisper that the defence hasn’t looked too shabby in the last four games either. Most of us thought Hector would be an urgent fast-track into the team, but I’m not sure many of us would drop Thorniley right now.

Things are really looking up.

55 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Really?

29 goals in our most recent 15 matches, which btw is when Joey-Bannan-Reach got together, equates to an 89 goal season!

Last season’s top scores were Wolves with 82 and Fulham with 79. Interesting....very interesting.

We scored 66,59 and 60 in our Carlos seasons. 

Again, I think it’s more than fair to say that our record over 15 games is no flash in the pan. It’s one third of a season.

Im beginning to get goosebumps and wonder if we are being overly critical of individuals ((Joey and Nuhiu being the obvious ones) when in fact Jos has sneeked up on us with what is becoming a superb blend of a team.

Dare I even whisper that the defence hasn’t looked too shabby in the last four games either. Most of us thought Hector would be an urgent fast-track into the team, but I’m not sure many of us would drop Thorniley right now.

Things are really looking up.

No you’re missing my point, the goals output is pretty good, but the front unit has room for improvement As a unit, they can sometimes look disjointed, leaving whoever is playing centrally isolated Think this will improve with games The defence is a well drilled unit, ditto the midfield and hopefully that will happen with the front players As I said, there were signs that that was starting to happen at Reading on Saturday

Edited by gurujuan

Guest Jack the Hat
5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

P13. W9. D2. L2 

Sometimes our personal opinion of one player’s ability makes us lose sight that it’s partnerships and the team that wins matches, not individuals.

I’m a clear example of that. I haven’t been a big fan of Joey, but I hadn’t spotted just how successful our team is when these three play together. That is one extraordinary record, and it’s almost a third of a season so hardly a flash in the pan.

If (and of course it’s only an If) it is the case that Jos has unearthed a golden trio, then look-out League, because these three are the fittest lads in the game and play 90 minutes week in week out. Add to this we have Onomah and even KL battling for a place, but it’s clear to me that Jos will be in no hurry to split up this fantastic three.

Great fact. With this and yesterdays article in the Star, I am starting to see a similarity between the Joey/ Bannan partnership and the Palmer/ Sheridan one. Not saying its as good but I am saying one sweeps up and one lets the ball do the work. Happy days - JL beginning to look good with his one and only perm signing!!

Pelupessy has done well in recent games however I'd love to see Hutchinson in his role and I think we'd be even better for it. 

The thing that Pelupessy does much better than hutch is that whilst he sits, he doesn't sit on the defenders toes like hutch does and therefore like others have said this allows us as a whole and especially Bannan to do their work further up the pitch.

If we could get hutch doing this I do think we'd be even better off because he is all round a much better player than Pelupessy. 

Edited by jrh

41 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

You have had me wracking my brains for the last hour with that phrase running through my head...

Eventually it came to me! 

From 26 secs 

Brilliant.

For the last few months my golfing buddies and I have been wracking our brains to find this.

It's a decent blend.

You've got the creativity of Bannan and his playmaking instincts.

Reach has endless energy, is quite industrious on the ball and can get up and down the pitch.

Joey acts as a the spoiler- tackle, mop the ball up and pass it to Bannan.

32 minutes ago, jrh said:

Pelupessy has done well in recent games however I'd love to see Hutchinson in his role and I think we'd be even better for it. 

The thing that Pelupessy does much better than hutch is that whilst he sits, he doesn't sit on the defenders toes like hutch does and therefore like others have said this allows us as a whole and especially Bannan to do their work further up the pitch.

If we could get hutch doing this I do think we'd be even better off because he is all round a much better player than Pelupessy. 

Joey plays like a CM.

Hutch plays like a CB or FB being asked to play in CM.

I don’t think you are right, and I just can’t see Hutch getting a chance unless Joey picks up a knock. He’s certainly a very fine cover player. Which probably suits him given his history. 

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Joey plays like a CM.

Hutch plays like a CB or FB being asked to play in CM.

I don’t think you are right, and I just can’t see Hutch getting a chance unless Joey picks up a knock. He’s certainly a very fine cover player. Which probably suits him given his history. 

You also haven't taken into account that a Bannan / Hutchinson central midfield partnership drops deeper than a Sam Allardyce defensive back line.

• Like 1

Shows the benefit of playing 3 in midfield rather than the dreaded 442.

You can let the players play to their strengths.

In a two they have to be capable of doing everything.

I thought about the Hutch debate after the Millwall match.

We played very high tempo in a relatively physical game. Hutch wouldn’t have been capable of playing that way without injury or card.

Edited by oldishowl

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

P13. W9. D2. L2 

Yet some will still slag Pelupessy off!