Our Midfield 3 starts - Wow!

Well spotted. We are actually seeing the side develop as a team. The blend in midfield is good, the centre back pairing, left and right, look good together. We now have two decent full backs. 

Perhaps the one area that doesn’t seem quite right, is the attack, although there were signs of it clicking in the last game. I think the personnel are correct, they just need to make slight adjustments to the way they play. Maybe this will come the more this team plays together. That’s why it’s important we don’t have wholesale changes, and any rotation should is done one player at a time. Keeping the squad fresh is important, but not at the expense of continuity

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

3 good posts in a row then I come along..Joey is allowing bannan to play 15-20 yards further up the pitch where he's doing damage.

Long may it continue.

Think it's more of how Joey does it the discipline he shows, the ground he covers, it's almost Kante- esq.  we have had defensive midfielders before allowing Bannan to push 15-20 yards further up the pitch but without the same levels of success. 

Joey Bannan and Reach is the perfect midfield trio. it has a bit of everything and it isn't about to be broke up anytime soon.

Edited by pazowl55

3 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Just for the record - who are the front 3 in those W9 games too? 

It's alright saying it's all down to these 3 - but it could be down to a number of different things across the full team... 

The personnel have probably been the same, as the only alternative during this period has been Rhodes, who was mainly a sub. 

However, it hasn’t always been a front three as Jos was using the three at the back system. In the Norwich game last season, I think it was a three up front, but only two in midfield

6 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Just for the record - who are the front 3 in those W9 games too? 

It's alright saying it's all down to these 3 - but it could be down to a number of different things across the full team... 

Yes but the point he's making is the midfield were the constant.

I'm pretty sure the forward line were different for a lot of the games but it's those 3 that seem to make us tick. 

7 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

I'm pretty sure the forward line were different for a lot of the games but it's those 3 that seem to make us tick. 

The same three, Bannan, Pelupessy and Reach generally played, but Reach was sometimes playing as a wing back

35 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Agree. There is always more to, but for me the central midfield is the most important area on the pitch. The game is won and lost there and if you dominate that area then more often than not you are going to win.

That’s all well and good @Holmowl but without wanting to steal @Lord Snooty confidential sources; Ted told me, and he’s well backed on here that Joey has never been a professional football player. Add to this that he can’t tackle, pass, head, shoot, cross... I know you’ll have stats that show contrary but Ted and the Tedites on here know what their eyes show them!! 

I mean, surely they have a point! Because it would be unheard of for us to purchase a player for as little as 350k that is so good, so influential in terms of how we play and how we acumalate points, so fit as in to play every minute of every game... that’s just not possible is it? We’d need to have spent at least 20x that for a player that delivers so much surely! 

Hmmm I’m stuck who to believe. Ted and his minions or cold hard facts. 

• Haha 6

Joey gives a lot to the team, his willingness to sacrifice personal glory by sitting and filling spaces, lets players like Bannan do what he does best

Not only that, no matter if Joey has just made a mistake, he’s still vocal, helping gee other players up, he’s a positive person

People underestimate the value of having a talker on the pitch

A good team will have 7 or 8 players that never stop talking

It’s essential and often not noticed

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Simple this football management malarky... get a team that complement each other and cover each other's weaknesses, and all of a sudden you're a better team as a result. It's why I've always insisted, despite your protestations to the contrary Mr Holmowl, that a midfield of Lee and Bannan will never get a team promoted. 

Now... if we had a midfield of Lee and Bannan with Pelupessy just behind (Lee providing the energy Reach gives to our terrible trio in this hypothetical), then all of a sudden things are a bit more exciting... :biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Think it's more of how Joey does it the discipline he shows, the ground he covers, it's almost Kante- esq.  we have had defensive midfielders before allowing Bannan to push 15-20 yards further up the pitch but without the same levels of success. 

Joey Bannan and Reach is the perfect midfield trio. it has a bit of everything and it isn't about to be broke up anytime soon.

Buzzer, floater, spreader, runner........ Been saying this since about 5 mins after PO Final.

I dont know who said it originally, could have been Big Ron or Sir Alex Ferguson back in the day, but they were right. That balance is more important than left/right in a midfield, it must contain those elements.

We always looked a far better side with KL playing but I always thought we needed an upgrade on the runner, KL tended to drift into advanced positions, I think Reach drives into those positions. I'd put it to you that it's Reach who gives Bannan space to play by dragging and attracting opposition midfielders with his pace and drive. Joey is security, peace of mind for Bannan to take a risk and have some insurance.

46 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Buzzer, floater, spreader, runner........ Been saying this since about 5 mins after PO Final.

I dont know who said it originally, could have been Big Ron or Sir Alex Ferguson back in the day, but they were right. That balance is more important than left/right in a midfield, it must contain those elements.

We always looked a far better side with KL playing but I always thought we needed an upgrade on the runner, KL tended to drift into advanced positions, I think Reach drives into those positions. I'd put it to you that it's Reach who gives Bannan space to play by dragging and attracting opposition midfielders with his pace and drive. Joey is security, peace of mind for Bannan to take a risk and have some insurance.

Still convinced it's more Pelupessy that makes Bannan play than Reach.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

With Joey-Bannan-Reach playing...

P13. W9. D2. L2 

2.23 Pts per game - equates to 102 point season.

Sometimes our personal opinion of one player’s ability makes us lose sight that it’s partnerships and the team that wins matches, not individuals.

I’m a clear example of that. I haven’t been a big fan of Joey, but I hadn’t spotted just how successful our team is when these three play together. That is one extraordinary record, and it’s almost a third of a season so hardly a flash in the pan.

If (and of course it’s only an If) it is the case that Jos has unearthed a golden trio, then look-out League, because these three are the fittest lads in the game and play 90 minutes week in week out. Add to this we have Onomah and even KL battling for a place, but it’s clear to me that Jos will be in no hurry to split up this fantastic three.

Couldn't agree more, wish people would leave Barry alone. 

Excellent fact finding @holmeowl

Not a huge statto myself but it just shows that they can be a good backup to what we see with the naked eye. 

It's nice to see that we have a manager in place who is trying to work out the best way to make us a competitive team unit and find the balance in having players who complement each other in the team as well as making us a more effective whole, rather than  just tying to fill the team sheet with the best players and hoping they pull of a moment of brilliance. 

Key to that is obviously getting game changers in their best areas of the park.  Which the current set up is allowing us to do. 

I do believe this answer has been staring us in the face for three years, and though only suppositon and my own personal belief I do think we'd now be in the Premier league if this had been implemented sooner when we had an overall better squad like when Loovens, Westwood, Wallace, Hunt were in their prime offering their experience to the show.

41073927_318404125583799_507975572475871

Still.  We've got there in the end under Jos.

I just hope that we now show some patience as he tries to weave our youngsters into the group replacing some very experienced Senior pros. 

It might take time. But I do believe we're now at least on the right track and will make strides toward promotion in the coming years.

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 1