Forestieri

20 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But we have played 6 league games this season, he has started 3 of them.......

Jos has answered the big questions from the first 3 games by picking a more settled team and formation which has dramatically cut down on the chances we have been giving the opposition. FF's time will come soon enough and he will be back in the starting line up at some point in the next 3 games.

I agree his time will come. I just think we could’ve achieved the same or won more comfortably with FF involved and when viewed in the context of how he’s played since returning, dropping him on one game seemed harsh.If people disagree that’s fair dos.

I think we look a lot more organised and hard working which is a huge plus. Probably in a similar manner to when Gray was manager, but it’s that bit of magic that gets a good side into the top six ahead of others so we need to make a home for him sooner or later. 

Edited by Bluesteel

I’m not saying for this specific situation but a lot in this thread seem to advocate playing the same 11.

If we have better quality returning to the team that is willing to work and fits into a system then the manager should have a decision to make.

Based on winning the last 3 games against poor teams (I’m delighted with the wins btw) then Hector and Onohma wouldn’t get a look in either.

I haven’t seen more than highlights the last 3 games, but unless the starting 11 are all playing extremely well with the correct attitude then others should be in contention if they match those requirements. 

I don’t have a strong opinion currently with regards to starting Fernando. All I can say is nobody's position should be guaranteed.

21 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

You keep wanting to go back to 2016. It's autumn 2018, everyone's moved on.

Reading some of our fans opinions I think it’s untrue to say everyone’s moved on. 

Westwood is still best keeper in the league and Fessi is our only creative player - without them we’re doomed

The above is not my opinion by the way!! 

Edited by Philb125

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

I agree his time will come. I just think we could’ve achieved the same or won more comfortably with FF involved and when viewed in the context of how he’s played since returning, dropping him on one game seemed harsh.If people disagree that’s fair dos.

I think we look a lot more organised and hard working which is a huge plus. Probably in a similar manner to when Gray was manager, but it’s that bit of magic that gets a good side into the top six ahead of others so we need to make a home for him sooner or later. 

How on earth you can compare this team to Grays is crazy. Gray kept clean sheets and we never scored (scored something like 15 at home in the whole season at home under Gray)! This teams scoring goals and conceding them :laugh: 

as for the needing a bit of magic... you seen Joaos goal?

Guest wilyfox
46 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

He's winning narrowly against a1 likely  lower mid table side & 2 relegation certs. 

If we hit trouble (after Stoke), FF & Hutch may play hard ball, as seemingly Westwood has.

Hard to call. Results and performances vindicate his choices at present. Consistency will show whether we've truly turned a corner or not. Our dynamic may yet change further with Onomah & Hector, plus the hopeful return of Hooper, Lee, and Winnall. Early days. 

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Just as zzmdu fought his way through northern France to await rescue on the beach at Dunkirk... another wave of fokers descend.:tango:

I genuinely actually went on a boat yesterday that was used to rescue the troops at Dunkirk

I loved it

Felt like I was a soldier braving the dangers of the beach

In reality I was too..

I was at Scarborough.

Owlstalk Shop

The dropping of FF made sense to me.  He generally does his best work in attack when on the left hand side, but doesn't track back much when played in that position.  Playing Penney at LB, an inexperienced player, it made sense to give him more cover - and Mattias has been doing that well.  While FF can play in the middle (and tends to help out defensively much more when playing there) we have plenty of options in that part of the pitch. 

Now Penney is looking good, it may change back - but it's hard to change a winning team.

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

And Carlos Carvalhal was the manager so that kinda makes that argument a bit dumb

Jos has had a better start than Carlos ever had 

Nope you're post is a bit dumb. Not sure why you've introduced this old and pretty nasty insult.

FF was our top scorer, and yes Carlos was the manager.

Yes, it's a good start. However relativity an easy start. Better to judge in a few games time.

Just now, zzmdu said:

Nope you're post is a bit dumb. Not sure why you've introduced this old and pretty nasty insult.

FF was our top scorer, and yes Carlos was the manager.

Yes, it's a good start. However relativity an easy start. Better to judge in a few games time.

Carlos lost easy games in which Forestieri played

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

How on earth you can compare this team to Grays is crazy. Gray kept clean sheets and we never scored (scored something like 15 at home in the whole season at home under Gray)! This teams scoring goals and conceding them :laugh: 

as for the needing a bit of magic... you seen Joaos goal?

We have better players now but Gray had a similar approach in terms of work ethic and needing a balance between “artists” and “soldiers” so yeah I can see some similarities even if you can’t. Without Joao and Forestieri in the side I don’t think we’d be near top six as grays wasn’t but that’s just my view. 

Joaos goal was excellent. Forestieri scores them too. They are the guys that are the difference between top ten and top six if we have any chance at all.

23 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Nope, I'm not answering a question on @Holmowl  's bizarre comment that 'fitting in' FF would involve 'ripping up' the side.

I sound like a broken record, but FF was in the side (and top scorer), when we hit the play offs. You probaably need to suggest why he shouldn't be in, and why the team would have to be ripped up to accommodate.

So you keep saying he needs to play. We cant play 12. So you need to drop someone. So who?

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Carlos lost easy games in which Forestieri played

Are you able (clearly not) to respond to points made in the post of other's?

Or would this risk your place at the Top of Upperhand Mountain?

Edited by zzmdu
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

No, if you think the team would be better with a player involved in a certain position it doesn’t matter what the result is. No one has to agree with it, but an opinion on that which is at odds with the manager (who has turned things around excellently in a couple of weeks) doesn’t become invalid just because we won.

How do you know it woukd be better if he played if we won?

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I genuinely actually went on a boat yesterday that was used to rescue the troops at Dunkirk

I loved it

Felt like I was a soldier braving the dangers of the beach

In reality I was too..

I was at Scarborough.

Aye, you would have been running the Maginotlinetalk Forum while all the fighting was going on. :biggrin: