What a refreshing change in attitude

Just now, sw1867 said:

You create negativity before it’s even happened just so you can jump on people if it does happen.

This creates the atmosphere you purport to loathe. 

Yeah, cause I do ... I'm sure that everyone just waits for my posts before posting theirs, most posters aren't even aware of me, loads just ignore me, a few find me mildly amusing and a handful are very sensitive that they can't back up their claims and start been abusive.   

5 minutes ago, mike84 said:

The other positive about the U23's and 18's coming through is the potential for actually making money from a player sale.

Barring 2 or 3 first team members the chance of recouping any of the financial outlay on them is very low where as a good prospect coming through and doing well could bring a decent fee.

This is what the club are hoping for, others have been successfully doing it for years, though it is easier to nuture young players in a more stable environment not one of embargos and division between club and fans.

5 minutes ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

Hopefully not... but I can see why it was done. I think he was lacking in a little confidence, would would have been worse would have been the whole experience if kept on knocking his confidence even more.

IMO Jos got it spot on last night.

Blooded the guy in a nondiscript game and saw he was struggling BUT he's had the taste for it, which will make him better.

Just hope Jos followed up with a quiet word in his ear, which I'm sure he will have.

Great to youngsters coming through and getting a chance.

22 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be honest I'd I'd be happy to see youth players coming through  even if we had had a stellar first XI 

There is nothing better as a supporter seeing your own young talent coming through.

It's just at this moment in time, our current circumstances are allowing the youngsters more time than i suggest the fan base as a whole would normally ''put up with'' for a better turn of phrase.

I just think we are all aware that a) we are not able to buy. b) certain first team squad members are not very good c) these kids have done reasonably well when they came in last year 

It's this patience and willingness from the support which will ultimately benefit the player and hopefully the club 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, torres said:

It's this patience and willingness from the support which will ultimately benefit the player and hopefully the club 

Exactly. 

I just hope the levels of support and encouragement with these young lads making their way in the game (in trying club circumstances) lasts longer than it did for Palmer when he came through. 

I would encourage all young players though to close down their social media profiles on once they make the first team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, torres said:

There is nothing better as a supporter seeing your own young talent coming through.

It's just at this moment in time, our current circumstances are allowing the youngsters more time than i suggest the fan base as a whole would normally ''put up with'' for a better turn of phrase.

I just think we are all aware that a) we are not able to buy. b) certain first team squad members are not very good c) these kids have done reasonably well when they came in last year 

We as fans might criticize on here but will support the team from the stands. I think the youngsters will get more leeway because we understand they are learning their trade and are playing in a team that is lacking in certain areas, real leaders on the pitch being one.

The youngsters cannot be blamed for being thrown in or the position the club finds itself in. Let's hope some make the grade.

2 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I’ve seen more times when you have been asked to back up things and you haven’t.

Anyway, this is a positive thread about how we are quite rightly getting behind the young prospects and giving them time to develop.

Lets stick to that and continue to praise everyone for doing it. Don’t be negative by predicting this will change after a couple of loses.

I hope Baker and Penny start on Sunday and we allow them to grow into their roles. Whilst I was impressed with Kirby last night, I think putting three young inexperienced players into a tough league game would be too much.

I make very few claims.

The rest of your post I agree with and I hope that the players are given time to develop.  I have every faith in the players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

For me developing and playing your own home grown players is what a football club should be about. Investing in the youth set up rather then paying stupid wages and transfer fees for greedy mercenaries is how it should be done..it also stops clubs getting into the mess we currently find ourselves in. 

Well, it does if you manage to keep your young talent.

:Chansiri::CEO::ph34r:

Great thread started by Malek.

During the game last night there was so much negativity about individual performances (some I agreed with) but here we have a thread that's positive for a change.

Let's not forget that Sunderland are expected to get automatic promotion and put out a strong side with the likes of Rodwell etc.

An 18 y.o. getting his first opportunity against such opposition, I can understand he struggled a little, given the team didn't really perform well as a whole but we beat them on their stamping ground.

The youngsters will only get stronger with game time and it appears that Jos is going to give them the opportunity and more to the point, push the complacent older players for their places.

Under par performance but light at the end of the tunnel, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torres said:

Sorry, but what the hell are you on about?? Your reply makes no sense in relation to what i posted

I am explaining why I am happy with developing youth, and that your theory that we are happy just because the first team is poo , is complete balls pal. It has everything to do with you snide comment mate. 

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Yeah its great and we all really hope it pays off.

But lets just remember that we still have no idea whether any of them (including Wildsmith & Dawson) are going to be good enough to play most of their career at Championship level or above.

It is ultimately that of which the success or otherwise of this forced venture will be judged.

Lets hope we get our first league win soon because it is certainly a lot easier for young players to come into a successful team than a struggling one.

Good realistic post. This is a "forced venture" as you say and its amazing when our backs are to the wall, how many of us embrace it, as we don't have much other choice. May they all mature well and be given suitable long contracts to protect our interests.

1 hour ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

Hopefully not... but I can see why it was done. I think he was lacking in a little confidence, would would have been worse would have been the whole experience if kept on knocking his confidence even more.

True, I'll trust Jos knows the best way to handle the young lads!

Young is good if young is good.

Young isn’t good if young is just young.

Some have potential, some don’t look ready.

The trick is to weedle out those who can make the step up. The weedling out period isn’t without risk.

Good luck Sheffield Weedlesday.