Joost Van Aken

Joost Van Aken.jpeg

Want to say good luck to Joost Van Aken for the upcoming season

Every single Sheffield Wednesday player have good and bad games and I'd like to think that this season we support those who have a bad one every now and again and give them the confidence to go again.

Those who were disappointed at his last performance have had time to whinge about it now. It was nearly a full week ago.

Let's spend the time now being positive, full of encouragement etc if he plays tomorrow.

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Joost Van Aken.jpeg

Every single Sheffield Wednesday player have good and bad games and I'd like to think that this season we support those who have a bad one every now and again and give them the confidence to go again.

Those who were disappointed at his last performance have had time to whinge about it now. It was nearly a full week ago.

Let's spend the time now being positive, full of encouragement etc if he plays tomorrow.

Totally agree. This player bashing as to stop. One poor game hey!!

Stick him on the left of the 3 tomorrow. We'll have plenty of the ball and he'll have less defending to do.

Move Pudil to LWB and if we're not going to play Fletcher from the start play Reach behind the front two with Hutch dropping into the back 3.

Westwood (yeah, I know)

Hutch              Lees          Van Acken

Boyd           Joey      Bannan          Pudil

Reach

Joao         Fessi

Sorted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Joost Van Aken.jpeg

Nando will park his bike anywhere

• Haha 2

Needs to play, needs to toughen up, needs support of fans and players around him. He’s too expensive to fail, but on positive side if he can toughen up and do the basics right, his quality on ball makes him a hugely valuable asset! 

Persevere with him and hopefully our fans allow him the support to develop into a quality player.  

6 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Stick him on the left of the 3 tomorrow. We'll have plenty of the ball and he'll have less defending to do.

Move Pudil to LWB and if we're not going to play Fletcher from the start play Reach behind the front two with Hutch dropping into the back 3.

Westwood (yeah, I know)

Reach

Joao         Fessi

Sorted.

Pudil no longer has the legs for wingback.

• Like 1

Guest addedtime

I watched cricket there with my lad a few weeks ago. Sat in the blazing sunshine eating a Cornetto. Perfect.

Plus a bit of sunburn due to being a ginner (me not him)

Edited by addedtime

5 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Pudil no longer has the legs for wingback.

No offence mate, but I'm sick of hearing this!

He has the intelligence and quality to play the position well, without having to charge up and down the line for 90 mins. he's probably best crosser of a ball we have from the left hand side and he's player the position at international level.

Give me Pudil playing there over Reach or Boyd every day of the week.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

12 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Westwood (yeah, I know)

Reach

Joao         Fessi

Sorted.

Pudil’s legs have gone. He can’t play conventional left back never mind wing back. 

Lees, Hutch and Pudil in the back 3 tomorrow and JVA on the bench. 

I'll admit I was pulling my hair out with him at Wigan on Saturday.

I was discussing with people switching Hutch to the back at half time because I just wanted him off the pitch.

But after a week of reflection, it isn't fair to just write him off after his first competitive game in 9 months. 

But the problem is that he shouldn't be the centre of a back 3 and he can't really play at right CB being left footed. The leaves left CB and Pudil is a clear first choice for that position.

As such, I can't see how you can give him the game time he needs to improve without the risk of playing him in the centre.

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Pudil’s legs have gone. He can’t play conventional left back never mind wing back. 

There’s lots of options for the back 3, none of which we tried at Wigan :wacko:

Hutch Lees Pudil 

Hutch Lees JVA

Thorniley Lees Pudil 

Hutch Lees Thorniley 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

No offence mate, but I'm sick of hearing this!

He has the intelligence and quality to play the position well, without having to charge up and down the line for 90 mins. he's probably best crosser of a ball we have from the left hand side and he's player the position at international level.

Give me Pudil playing there over Reach or Boyd every day of the week.

Not going to happen pal. Pudil himself has said he can’t play there anymore 

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Boooo!!! Have you not been listening??

You have to pretend all our players are brilliant and off the field we are remarkably good.

Gooooooooo Wednesday!!!!!

Edited by torres
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Joost Van Aken.jpeg

Bobby Moore once said “if a defender has to rely on pace he’s stood in the wrong place”!

Joost is learning match by match.

Hope we give him the chanc to be a star with us and don’t hound him out and make him a star somewhere else!

To be positive he has talent, can only improve schoolboy frailties such as heading, positioning, looking around for runners/danger instead of ball watching and upper body strength, basic necessities at cb

Hes not trustworthy at centre back yet though, mistakes there are too costly.

Might be more solid at left back or defensive midfield if injuries start to bite, but bench for now and work hard in gym/training imo, we cant afford to gift 2-3 goals every game.

If we keep playing him it could destroy his and the teams confidence further imo

Edited by Ash77