Joost Van Aken

16 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Totally agree. This player bashing as to stop. One poor game hey!!

Can this also apply to anyone who pulls on the shirt.

We all know which players we're talking about, but clearly our options in certain areas are limited & no point making what we HAVE got available more nervous on the ball than need be.

Cut the 'groans', cut the 'screaming' at them, & in some cases the abuse. Like I said, in certain areas we don't have alternatives (not the players' faults) so no point cutting off our noses etc.  Let's at least try & get behind them, regardless of who it is.

17 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

No offence mate, but I'm sick of hearing this!

He has the intelligence and quality to play the position well, without having to charge up and down the line for 90 mins. he's probably best crosser of a ball we have from the left hand side and he's player the position at international level.

Give me Pudil playing there over Reach or Boyd every day of the week.

Pudil himself as said he no longer sees himself as a wing back

5 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

We all know which players we're talking about, but clearly our options in certain areas are limited & no point making what we HAVE got available more nervous on the ball than need be.

Cut the 'groans', cut the 'screaming' at them, & in some cases the abuse. Like I said, in certain areas we don't have alternatives (not the players' faults) so no point cutting off our noses etc.  Let's at least try & get behind them, regardless of who it is.

That's right and I meant all players not just Aken. Is there any wonder they have poor games when so called fans are waiting in the wings to slate them at every opportunity. How can you boo your own team off at half time in any game is beyond me. Do they think that will pep them up for the second half.

Guest Bulgaria
28 minutes ago, addedtime said:

I watched cricket there with my lad a few weeks ago. Sat in the blazing sunshine eating a Cornetto. Perfect.

Plus a bit of sunburn due to being a ginner (me not him)

Where is it mate?

JVA could be a fantastic player.  It is a real shame Loovens has got another club in some ways. Had he retired I would have paid Loovens to come in for 6 months and work night and day with JVA sorting his feet out. That is all he is lacking but it’s such a barrier to him playing to his potential.

Loovens until last season when he clearly wasn’t fit was not far off the best centre back I have seen play for us in his defensive footwork. I don’t know who coached him that way but he made up for no pace and not amazing height with a ridiculous ability to always drive off the correct foot in the right direction. You might call it ‘reading the game’ but it is so much more as it is about getting your momentum shifting quickly in response to the play.  

JVA has more power in him than Loovens but he often loses it all in that first movement. Even standing off and running back with a striker bearing down in front of you, he still needs to do that in a way that leaves his feet in a position to drive when the next move is made by the attacker but he is leaving himself flat footed.  It is impacting so much of his game including his heading.

it also sounds crazy but I would get his eyesight tested. I once got knocked out badly playing and next 3 games I played I made small mistakes judging corners and balls over the top. I got my eyes tested and one eye had been impacted so I needed a different type of contact lens. Anything less than perfect also might mean judging flight and small movements becomes impaired. 

In the short term if we can’t fix it maybe we shake it up a bit and try him as a sweeper behind closed doors. We see very few teams playing with one nowadays a la mark wright 1990 , or Gullit at Chelsea. My concern is not having the pace up top to exploit stretching the pitch but it might work.

i am right behind the player. He can be a really good player with some tinkering. A couple of games before his injury last season he played really well. It’s there, but it needs the coaches to step up .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Three at the back is a crap tactic. Official! This is particularly true when you have no one who can effectively slit in and play wing back.

Totally agree our wing back options look limited and like others have said, in this formation you want your wing backs to be arguably your best players and our are our worst.

But what other choice do we have? Play a back four and I’d worry we’d be even more exposed. Who’d play with Lees in the middle? It’s not Hutch’s natural position, or Pudil’s. Thorniley is very inexperienced and we don’t trust Van Aken. Not to mention we’ve seen plenty of times how even Lees doesn’t perform without a commanding left sided player alongside (ie Loovens). 

And then the full backs! Palmer is solid enough in a back four but that’s it. Bakers played what, one game? And on the left Pudil by his own admission can’t get up and down the wings and as for Fox....

And if you’re thinking 4-4-2 we have no wingers worthy of the name. FF and MM won’t track back, Bannans better in the middle and Stobbs is out of his depth at this level. Boyd is an option I suppose. 

No, unfortunately our current predicament means we’re forced to play with wing backs by default - even though we don’t really have any - because it should at least benefit the other players in the team. 

The recruitment in the last two years both in terms of quality and type of player has been lamentable and we’ll be paying for it - literally and metaphorically - for a season or two yet. 

Sorry for the rant in a Van Aken thread lol! For me he’s on the bench with Hutch/Lees/Pudil the back three. 

After the pigs game I said I’ll never trust him again in that position! Nowhere near good enough. Time and time again does he get skinned, out muscled doesn’t get tight. Why CC chose him over Venancio was a mystery. Let’s hope he develops!

The majority of our fans don't set out to get on our players backs however when you see players time after time make schoolboy errors and not putting effort in then I'm afraid the players deserve a few groans here and there. Sheffield is traditionally a working class area where the majority of fans go to work in the week and earn a modest wage. They then go along to Hillsborough or travel away spending their hard earned cash and want to be entertained. They don't expect to win every game but do expect the players in the blue and white to put in a shift and try to entertain them before they go away and pick up their monthly wages that most supporters would take a few years to earn. Of course a positive environment does improve performance but players have to take responsibility. It wasn't that long ago that our supporters generated the greatest positive support for our players only to see this not returned by the players with an inept lacklustre performance at Wembley.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

No offence mate, but I'm sick of hearing this!

He has the intelligence and quality to play the position well, without having to charge up and down the line for 90 mins. he's probably best crosser of a ball we have from the left hand side and he's player the position at international level.

Give me Pudil playing there over Reach or Boyd every day of the week.

Last season showed he could not play wide any more, be it orthodox full back or wing back. 

His experience and positioning allowed him to do to do very well at centre half, but lack of pace made him a liability wide. In fact it was an extension of that horrible second half at home to Huddersfield in the play offs, where that big lump rinsed him.

I don’t disagree that I would rather have him there than Boyd or Reach - but then again they are not full backs, let alone wing backs!

Edited by Ever the pessimist

The singling out of Van Aken has been awful 

One game and he's been hung out to dry by all our fans - yes he had a bad game, but so did the team in general - get behind him, back him, don't boo him for a misplaced pass or trying something that doesn't come off. 

Same for everyone tomorrow - inject some confidence into the team, I think we're going to see a completely different fighting side tomorrow

UTO

9 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Might be a nice lad, he's a wednesday player so i like him..

But he's a car crash of a defender..

It's not just one bad game is it? The derby at s6 and Bolton away spring to mind.

Player has a few bad games - shock 

Every single player in every single team that has ever played has bad games - we just seem to circle them like vultures and grind them down it's pathetic. 

5 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Player has a few bad games - shock 

Every single player in every single team that has ever played has bad games - we just seem to circle them like vultures and grind them down it's pathetic. 

of course everyone as a bad game in them but when you've only played 15 games and messed  up in a good  percentage of them it's understandable why some don't rate him ...

34 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Agree 100 %.

How anyone thinks player bashing benefits the club in any way, especially with our limited squad (in certain positions) and slim chance of adding to it is beyond me.

Let's try and support every player we have, on and off the pitch. After all, that is our job, and apart from spending money it's the only thing we can do to help improve our situation.

If you need to boo, please save it for those that don't put in the effort, or better still, the opposition.

Who knows? It might even gain us a few more points!!!