Looks lik Palmer and Baker for RWB.

9 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Baker looks a real prospect in my opinion. I’m not too concerned to be honest. I don’t mind Palmer, he has a lazy motion but maybe Jos can get the best out of him. 

Sorry for being positive, but there are more pressing needs for us to sort out in my opinion, like centre mid. 

whats your worry about central midfield ?. with 2 from bannan,lee,joey, hutch,reach all capable players  .

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

This is it, things have changed, we are hamstrung when it comes to new additions We will be weaker, on paper at least, but maybe Jos can compensate for that with work on the training ground 

I have no issues regarding Palmer starting the season as RWB

We won’t be weaker on paper or grass now we have the long term injured back.

I was mildly excited for the season ahead but now I’m beginning to be concerned. I mean don’t get me wrong I hope I’m proven wrong but I don’t believe that the youth coming through are premiership quality (yet) and judging by the comment of not signing another RB I’m beginning to think this years is about clearing dead wood consolidate and then next year with no FFP signing and pushing for promotion.

1 hour ago, sweetsheri said:

We won’t be weaker on paper or grass now we have the long term injured back.

Who’s back to aid the cause? I’m a bit out of the loop but I thought Lee and Hooper were still injured

33 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

I was mildly excited for the season ahead but now I’m beginning to be concerned. I mean don’t get me wrong I hope I’m proven wrong but I don’t believe that the youth coming through are premiership quality (yet) and judging by the comment of not signing another RB I’m beginning to think this years is about clearing dead wood consolidate and then next year with no FFP signing and pushing for promotion.

We are not in the Prem league and we have tried that route in the recent past and look where that has got us.

Baker is 22 this year so IMO needs to be playing regular first-team football whether that's here or elsewhere. As things stand Jos clearly thinks he is good enough to make the step up to the first team. He cannot be deemed as a 'prospect' any longer as he's nearly 22. He needs games for us to see whether he's good enough to be a regular starter. You don't tend to find this out without starting games :rolleyes:

It wouldn't make sense for us to loan a 19-year-old from a Premiership team if our manager believes someone in our squad (who happens to be much older) is good enough. This forum can sometimes be awash with contradictions. In one breath we feel the age of the squad was far too high and we should be utilising youth however when it comes to playing youth we worry that we have a lack of experience. We need a happy medium and balance and I believe it's a position where you can bring youth through without impacting the core spine of the team. Let's see how he progresses in the friendlies. 

Edited by swfcGibbo
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree. At 22-23 you are , or should be, no longer, 'youth' The average age of some of the top International teams at this year's World Cup was in some cases this age or just a little higher. We thought that the England team were young, but compared to many. they were old. Jos appears to favour youth, and good luck to him and them. 

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

We are not in the Prem league and we have tried that route in the recent past and look where that has got us.

Ok then I’ll re word it do you believe the youth have the ability to take the championship on and get us promotion to the premiership? They haven’t enough experience in my eyes 

We've gone three seasons without selling anyone apart from Wiggins.

Our squad is too big and needs to be smaller and fitter, Jos appears to be doing that so no complaints from me.

Owlstak: "Our manager never gives new players a chance, Jack Hunt is bobbins and can't cross, we need to sell players"

Manager sells one player to give youth a chance and gets another top wage earner off the books in Rhodes

Owlstalk "Waaaa waaa he's doing it all wrong, we've not signed another 15 premier league players to add to our already bloated squad, this close season has been a disaster"

4 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

Ok then I’ll re word it do you believe the youth have the ability to take the championship on and get us promotion to the premiership? They haven’t enough experience in my eyes 

"Some times no hand can be a real cool hand"

We either cannot or will not sign expensive players this summer and so will rely on untried players, either from other clubs or our own young players.

Personally, I would prefer to bring our own youngsters on, than some one else's.

What is the rush to get into the Prem anyway?.

I'm a big fan of Jos, but this is a very bold move which is a bit of a gamble imo.

Palmer, at best, divides opinion, and Baker is in his early twenties with only a single competitive first team appearance behind him (played well though tbf).

According to the article, Jos says we have plenty of depth in that position.

If he did say that, this will have to be one of those rare occasions when I simply cannot agree with him.

We have a bunch of options at right back.

The obvious 2 of Baker and Palmer, which would be fine. Baker looked decent, and will get better, and Palmer the 1st choice in our first season of record clean sheets. He's not as bad as people make out.

On top of that we have Kieran Lee, who is going to find it hard to fit into the middle, if we're playing a two (probably Bannan and Pessy as they looked nicely balanced). He used to be a right back, certainly has the energy for wingback and is a threat going forward.

Then we're probably looking at Reach at left wing back, which leaves Boyd to fit in somewhere, and he is naturally right footed and also has a great engine. So he cal slot in there as well.

So we have 4 players who can play there, Lee probably being the top pick imo. Boyd 2nd.