Clare tho!

Guest The Claw

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

Being pimped around, still trying to find a club, so desperate it could now be in Scotland. Turned down the opportunity to carry on playing for promotion chasing Wednesday.

The lad is obviously thick.

A bit like the Hirsts.

Can't disagree with this. The root cause of all these issues Wednesday have been encountering is the players advisors. If they think they can get there client a better deal then so be it. We and always will be at the mercy of these vultures especially the development set up. Why does Wednesday continue to fork out thousands on this set up when the returns are so minimal. We wouldn't have all this bitterness being thrown around. Let some other club go through it and let Wednesday be the benefactor of a development player rather than the other way round. 

My personal feelings regarding Clare and Hirst are that they end up in something similar to the conference league. There agents would be getting 25% of fvvck all then. 

This is my own view of the situation (for what it's worth) ...

Clare's loan expired in January and Gillingham announced their wish to keep him

The player also expressed his desire to return

Throughout the transfer window, reports from down there claimed both clubs were unable to reach an agreement

Wednesday offered Clare fresh terms, which he refused - presumably because he preferred regular football in League 1

That refusal to sign also ruled out any possible extension to his loan

So Gillingham stepped aside - perhaps thinking a better deal may be struck once his contract had run down?

Shortly afterwards, Clare impresses during a handful of 1st team appearances for us

Apparently (if you believe 'reports') catching the eye of clubs in the PL as well as the Championship

This means his tribunal valuation may well have increased to the point where Gillingham are no longer in the running

Then he picks up an injury that rules him out for the season, and until that clears up no-one is interested

I personally think that if he was fit he'd probably be down in Gillingham right now preparing for a season in League 1

That Wednesday would've reached an agreement with them (modest fee + add-ons) without the need of a tribunal

Also, this reported 'interest' from elsewhere probably raised the player's/agent's demands - ruling out ANY chance of him staying at S6

*A move to Scotland would be more lucrative for player/agent because a tribunal settlement wouldn't apply

But his fitness is sure to be a deciding factor, and I'm still unsure whether the deal would need to be done within this transfer window

*similar to a move to Belgium - only less crooked  :dry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

My personal feeling is Clare didn’t like the criticism he got from Jos after his performances and has decided he wants to be at a smaller club where he can be more of a billy big b*llocks.  

Yep seems a coincidence that he looked happy to be playing and scoring for us until Jos said he still had a lot to learn, then all of a sudden he doesn’t want to be a wednesday player anymore. Maybe having a girls name has given him a chip on his shoulder all his life 

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

When Jos was appointed, the German journos suggested he was very tough on young players, but those who dealt with it and listened ended up having solid careers and usually followed him to his next club.

Which is exactly what you want. If players can't take criticism in their stride then, barring exceptional natural talent, they're not going to have the drive to progress forward in the game. Critical and frank appraisals of players that focuses on where they need to improve is vital to improving in any walk of life. You don't be the best by hiding form your weaknesses... if Sean would rather trundle along without the graft then fair enough... but we need a team of grafters to get promoted from the Championship. 

It's about ruddy time we had a change of attitude in this squad, from top to bottom. Full power to Jos. 

4 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

This is my own view of the situation (for what it's worth) ...

Clare's loan expired in January and Gillingham announced their wish to keep him

The player also expressed his desire to return

Throughout the transfer window, reports from down there claimed both clubs were unable to reach an agreement

Wednesday offered Clare fresh terms, which he refused - presumably because he preferred regular football in League 1

That refusal to sign also ruled out any possible extension to his loan

So Gillingham stepped aside - perhaps thinking a better deal may be struck once his contract had run down?

Shortly afterwards, Clare impresses during a handful of 1st team appearances for us

Apparently (if you believe 'reports') catching the eye of clubs in the PL as well as the Championship

This means his tribunal valuation may well have increased to the point where Gillingham are no longer in the running

Then he picks up an injury that rules him out for the season, and until that clears up no-one is interested

I personally think that if he was fit he'd probably be down in Gillingham right now preparing for a season in League 1

That Wednesday would've reached an agreement with them (modest fee + add-ons) without the need of a tribunal

Also, this reported 'interest' from elsewhere probably raised the player's/agent's demands - ruling out ANY chance of him staying at S6

*A move to Scotland would be more lucrative for player/agent because a tribunal settlement wouldn't apply

But his fitness is sure to be a deciding factor, and I'm still unsure whether the deal would need to be done within this transfer window

*similar to a move to Belgium - only less crooked  :dry:

I thought Clare refused terms only because he wanted a 2 year deal whereas Wednesday were offering a 1 year deal and that Clare was perfectly happy with the money that Wednesday were offering?

45 minutes ago, Walt said:

I thought Clare refused terms only because he wanted a 2 year deal whereas Wednesday were offering a 1 year deal and that Clare was perfectly happy with the money that Wednesday were offering?

Were the details of our offer to the player ever made public?

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Were the details of our offer to the player ever made public?

Don't know mate, Think there was a bit of talk about it on here when Wednesday made the supposed 1 year offer. It just stuck in my memory for some reason.

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

A lot of people in this thread are just saying random things that have no relation to the actual situation.

I love shoulder of lamb it's got a lot more flavour than leg.

I reckon it's the fat content.

Though I am partial to a chop as well.

FFS.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Sonny said:

Thornily, for example, was given a three year deal. What makes you think we only offered Clare one year?

If it’s true that Clare was only offered one year and Thornily given three years then I could see the sense in that. Thornily looks class now and has backed that up with a string of solid performances whereas Clare only has the potential. Thornily looks like he could go all the way to the top in my opinion. Thornily looks like he could be Tom Lees Mark 2 - you now, like the next Terminator up from Arnie.