There won't be a fire sale of players

5 hours ago, wednesdaywizard said:

We might be selling ONE player and everyone is going barmy?  What's going on on this forum? lol

Look at it this way, 1.6 million is good business. Also you can't blame Jack, he is looking at the table and sees City in a play off position and we are hovering above the bottom 3.

Oh wait................................

Edited by Zlin Owl

5 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Everyones going mad. 

We as a club have sold probably the LEAST amount of players than anyone in the last 3 years. Most clubs refresh their squads much more than we have. Maybe to prevent stagnation. 

Its about time we did sell a few and reinvest the money. Its a good normal natural thing. As long as you arent losing players for below their market value. 

Best post bar none for a long time on here. 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, OohAahGuyWhittingham said:

I don't want to pass judgement on the right back situation because only time will tell as to whether the money is reinvested but the fact of the matter is we are losing the best right back currently at the club.

If this move has been made because of our FFP situation - fine, but then we cannot in the same sentence speculate about reinvesting it (as many are), as that negates the reason for selling in the first place. 

If we are not going to reinvest, which wouldn't be a great surprise given our heel-dragging over Venancio then going into the season with Palmer at first-choice and a youth player with 1 appearance as back up does not excite me one bit! 

Finally, we need to remember that we as fans do not have an obligation to fund the investment in the squad and we sure as hell won't see any of our 'investment' back if we do go up, unlike our chairman. This project is his gamble, it's him who wins big if it pays off. This bloated wage bill and wasted transfer money over the last two years is also of his making and I don't like seeing our fanbase pressurised into paying extortionate prices, through vague threats of him pulling the plug.

If the spending stops and players are sold, he will have a lot of seriously unhappy supporters on his hands with tickets at the prices they are at now. 

Well dont go then FFS

Comments like this really grind my gears. Many fans keep complaining we have been screwed over in the transfer market in the past. We now seem to be driving harder deals and still complaints. Its okay for the chairman to invest millions of his own money and subsidise our current loses to try and get to the promised land. People really need to come in to the real world, before he thinks sod this, so many ungrateful people. We tried and failed, now FFP may or may not control a lot of what we can do. The prices we pay have helped us keep hold of key players and pay their wages. FFP is all about the generation of income and i dont mind paying that bit extra. If he goes because of all so the called experts constantly thinking they actually have a clue, where will we be then. 

Rant over :mad:

Guest Jack the Hat

People seriously need to get a grip on here. We have sold one average player for more than he is worth and reduced both the wage bill and stagnation. With regards the right back spot it's incredulous to think we aren't going to address how poor we are in this area during the close season now we have a grown up manager. CC ignored our poor defence year on year. Neither Palmer or hunt are good enough. One is gone and I wouldn't be bothered if we got rid of Palmer. I imagine Palmer is the lowest of the two salary wise. We are not skint but cannot spend any money without risking breaking the rules so we have to sell a few to lower the wage bill.theres a good half dozen more high earners we can lose without really weakening the squad. It really is pretty simple.

7 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Everyones going mad. 

We as a club have sold probably the LEAST amount of players than anyone in the last 3 years. Most clubs refresh their squads much more than we have. Maybe to prevent stagnation. 

Its about time we did sell a few and reinvest the money. Its a good normal natural thing. As long as you arent losing players for below their market value. 

Which we are with Hunt.

But...when you blindly coast yourself into a position where you're grabbed by the balls by FFP and allow a number of key first teamers to enter the final 12 months of your contract...it's difficult to achieve market value. 

However, I still think, although Hunt's only 12 months left on his contract...£1.6m is derogatory. 

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

Was this the same club survey that said the levels of investment would continue and the team would not be full of loans and kids from the youth team.

What has happened is we are still paying high prices for tickets and merchandise but we have signed no players, released 5 or 6 last season and have 8 youth players playing with the first team hoping to break into the team. I think DC didn't read the small print on what continued investment means.

It will be very interest to see if any players come in over the next few days if the answer is no then the rumbling will start to get louder before the season has even started.

You clearly think having a development set up is a waste of time, effort and resources. I think that you're wrong. Development is the way to go and needs investment. We have plenty of players and we don't need to buy for the sake of it.

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Which we are with Hunt.

But...when you blindly coast yourself into a position where you're grabbed by the balls by FFP and allow a number of key first teamers to enter the final 12 months of your contract...it's difficult to achieve market value. 

However, I still think, although Hunt's only 12 months left on his contract...£1.6m is derogatory. 

We got the going rate for an average right back in the last 12 months of his contact and who would be on good wages. 

Why have we blindly coasted? Would you have renewed any of the high wage earners contracts that have got us flirting with FFP. They havent got us promoted on their already inflated salaries, and some need to be moved on or off the wage bill. 

2 hours ago, mark1948 said:

You clearly think having a development set up is a waste of time, effort and resources. I think that you're wrong. Development is the way to go and needs investment. We have plenty of players and we don't need to buy for the sake of it.

I don't think it's a waste but when you develop players and don't keep them that's not overly smart.

Edited by room0035

7 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Trepidation because we don’t know what situation we are in and rumours of money issues. 

If we replace Hunt with better and we have some sensible ins and outs all good.  Just part of the normal ebb and flow of football personnel.

If we don’t and more follow without better replacements then there will be understandable complaints given we are paying such high prices for everything, we were told those prices would mean continued investment in the team and that FFS wouldn’t be a problem. 

Fingers crossed its the former. 

Agree with most of that apart from the last bit. I interpreted the results of the survey - that the club were very keen to make public so should be expected to follow - were that investment would be maintained at these prices and P&S would be dealt with as and when it happens, not that it wouldn't be a problem in the future.

I don't mind selling Hunt as long as he is replaced - I think he can be replaced with a loan or a cheaper young transfer, he was a loan player himself when he joined and that was his best season for us.

I don't mind selling others that might be harder to move on, but the implication in the club making a hooha about the survey results was that we would maintain the core of the side, the players that give us a chance and this should still be the case. 

Which we are with Hunt.

That’s nonsense. Hunt is an average championship full back certainly not worth 1.6m, last year of contract or not 

Edited by FreshOwl

Which we are with Hunt.

letting our good players run down there contracts is a recipe for disaster ……..there's 3 options we can gamble that they'll get us up this season in which case we'll be In a position to give them new improved deals  ,we can sell'em now for probably less than they are worth and finally we can let them walk away for free come next june if we are still marooned in the championship   …...I don't like the last option and the 1st is a big gamble that more than likely wont come off …..i'd be looking to off load any of those with  last year contract to the best offer we get .

If people are thinking we should be getting ~£3m for Hunt I’d love to know what they think he’d be worth it he had more than a year left on his contract. Four million, five million? Bonkers. Who would pay anything like that. Imagine if we paid that kind of money for someone of Hunt’s pedigree. I mean he’s been decent and served us well but he’s not that good. In fact many agree we needed to upgrade anyway... so what did they think we’d need to spend. Six million? THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL.

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

I don't think it's a waste but when you develop players and don't keep them that's not overly smart.

it says more about the leaving players than it does about the club. The blades must be livid two of their developments are in the England team. The jury is out on Hirst but we have others who will make significant contributions to our club.