There won't be a fire sale of players

If there's going to be a "fire sale", somebody needs to start the fire.  Jos may well unload a few players, but I doubt it'll be anything like a fire sale, and I like to think that before he unloads a player, he has the replacement at the ready.  Who would dump Hunt, without having somebody else in mind?  6 months ago, maybe, but we're a month away from the new season, ain't much time to go shopping, even if we had the FFP money matters solved.  Besides, mercenary players are not the way to build a Dynasty, I think Jos is looking to  build a Dynasty, rather than a "one hit wonder."   DC seems to be of the same mindset, or he would have been doing what profiteers do, that is, taking what he can, until the host is bled dry, then moving on to the next prize, instead, DC shiit-cans Carlos, hires Jos, and says to get this mess sorted out NOW, or I'll fire you too.

Hunt was a decent player at SWFC, but, he's not the future and I think that's what Jos is looking towards.  It will be interesting to see what happens at RB, but I'd bet that Jos has already made his decision, and we'll see it come August 4, 2018.  In any case, I sincerely wish the best for Jack Hunt, he's a good player, just doesn't fit into what Jos has in mind.

Who's gone, Rhodes, Hunt, Winnall, Clare, Wallace, Loovens?  Not much of a fire sale there, more like retirement (Loovens & Wallace), career ending injury (?) (Winnall)) , ego (Clare), think we have somebody better (Hunt), just plain doesn't  perform as a Forward (Rhodes).  

SWFC may be FFP "salary capped", but the Club is not exactly financially desperate, just financially limited by FFP.   SWFC can't spend much, if any, on players.  Fine, Jos is looking at the players,  both Veteran and Academy, and if what he "throws" together for opening day, is anything like that what we all saw on closing day of last season...

20 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Everyones going mad. 

We as a club have sold probably the LEAST amount of players than anyone in the last 3 years. Most clubs refresh their squads much more than we have. Maybe to prevent stagnation. 

Its about time we did sell a few and reinvest the money. Its a good normal natural thing. As long as you arent losing players for below their market value. 

Agree with this. As it stands my feeling is we need to sell a few more just to get FFP levels right, the losses last season were big and we didn’t spend that much last summer.

I think the plan may have been to get players signed up for up to the end of this season so that even if we were embargoed we would have a decent squad of players but I think we learned last season it doesn’t always work out like that

13 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

People seriously need to get a grip on here. We have sold one average player for more than he is worth and reduced both the wage bill and stagnation. With regards the right back spot it's incredulous to think we aren't going to address how poor we are in this area during the close season now we have a grown up manager. CC ignored our poor defence year on year. Neither Palmer or hunt are good enough. One is gone and I wouldn't be bothered if we got rid of Palmer. I imagine Palmer is the lowest of the two salary wise. We are not skint but cannot spend any money without risking breaking the rules so we have to sell a few to lower the wage bill.theres a good half dozen more high earners we can lose without really weakening the squad. It really is pretty simple.

Can you please tell us the "good half dozen high earners"

that we can lose, without "really weakening the squad"

1 hour ago, np pontefract said:

Can't speak for him but I'd say:

Rhodes

Winnall (I know he won't be going anywhere though)

Abdi

Jones

Westwood

Boyd

All will be on upwards of 15k a week. These sales would not significantly weaken our squad for a variety of reasons.

11 hours ago, mark1948 said:

it says more about the leaving players than it does about the club. The blades must be livid two of their developments are in the England team. The jury is out on Hirst but we have others who will make significant contributions to our club.

What happens on here is you post something and someone looks at a little of the post then goes at a complete tangent and attack you for something you didn't say.

I was commenting on the fact we all agreed as fans to continue paying the high prices so we continued to invest in the team, The other option was cheaper tickets and a team full of youth team players and free agent.

But so far and this may change we have signed no players even though we are short at left back, right back, centre back and right wing. We have been told unofficially from several source we cannot get anyone in until players leave and now the manager has said he has 8 youth players training with the first team in the hope some can make the step up.

It is great that some of the kids are starting to come through but when you take the fans to their work and continue to charge the high prices up to now we are not seeing any investment in the playing squad view this what ever way you want but this is not the Club holding up their side of the deal.

Changes are needed, others need getting rid of one way or the other, but making a few hundred thousand by charging fans £59 for a football shirt pails into comparison of getting the like of Fletcher, Adbi, Matias, Rhodes of the wage bill and the millions this will save not to mention the saving we make on the medical bills we have to pay on 3 of them. But we stand now 4 weeks to the first game of the season and nothing has change from last season other than a new manager and hopefully the players are fitter. 

16 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Which we are with Hunt.

But...when you blindly coast yourself into a position where you're grabbed by the balls by FFP and allow a number of key first teamers to enter the final 12 months of your contract...it's difficult to achieve market value. 

However, I still think, although Hunt's only 12 months left on his contract...£1.6m is derogatory. 

Do you not think this could be the club learning ? Hunt has a year left and they could have said we’d like to extend but you’ll have to take a pay cut. Hunt not too keen on that idea. So we’ve thought let’s not drag this on we’ll get what we can now.. he IS replaceable.

1.6 for Hunt with 12 month of contract is not a bad deal.

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Rhodes

Abdi

Jones

Westwood

Boyd

All will be on upwards of 15k a week. These sales would not significantly weaken our squad for a variety of reasons.

I know it's all about opinions.

But personally,  I can't see how we could loose , Westwood ,Boyd and especially Rhodes, without it significantly weakening our squad.

A long hard season is ahead of us.

Injuries will undoubtedly take.their toll.

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Rhodes

Abdi

Jones

Westwood

Boyd

Would argue Westwood would significantly weaken our playing XI. Yes we have very promising keepers in Wildsmith and Dawson, but not yet at the same level as Westwood IMO. 

If you have any aspirations of promotion, a point or 2 can stand between promotion or not, and i believe Westwood guarentees you more. 

43 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

But personally,  I can't see how we could loose , Westwood ,Boyd and especially Rhodes, without it significantly weakening our squad.

I have to disagree I think we could lose all of the above without significantly weakening our squad and preferably would lose them all.

53 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

Well Boyd doesn't really fit into the side if we play with wing backs. He isn't fast enough to do what FF does and he isn't a WB.

Westwood is a good keeper but as Wildsmith and Dawson have done well and faith should be out into put future not the past.

Rhodes is our 6th choice striker now and has done nowt. He could be good but losing him does not significantly weaken us.

49 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Would argue Westwood would significantly weaken our playing XI. Yes we have very promising keepers in Wildsmith and Dawson, but not yet at the same level as Westwood IMO. 

If you have any aspirations of promotion, a point or 2 can stand between promotion or not, and i believe Westwood guarentees you more. 

See my above post on Westwood. I still like him he's a good player but no tears if he goes.

59 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

I have him spot on about every player with the possible exception of Westwood. 

None of the others have consistently improved our starting eleven. Can’t really see how anyone can argue against this? 

Guest Jack the Hat
4 hours ago, np pontefract said:

Fletcher,  Abdi, Matias, Winnall, Jones, Fox.

Theres six off the top of my head. You could switch Fletcher with Rhodes, if you want,  and we would still have 5 recognised strikers with the possibility of some coming through the ranks. Which one of those players would you miss??

1 minute ago, Jack the Hat said:

Fletcher,  Abdi, Matias, Winnall, Jones, Fox.

Theres six off the top of my head. You could switch Fletcher with Rhodes, if you want,  and we would still have 5 recognised strikers with the possibility of some coming through the ranks. Which one of those players would you miss??

With how well Nuihu finished the season - if he repeats that form we don't need Fletcher, if we could shift him of the wage bill that would save us a few million quid not to mention the savings in medical bills as he always seem to be injured. 

For me all fit Joao, Nuihu, Hooper, Fessi is a good strike force with a few youngster like Preston, the Bulgarian kid (can write his name) who can come in for cup games for experience or if one of the other get injured meaning offloading Winnall went fit, Fletcher and Rhodes, wages is the main saving but any fees is a bonus.

Guest Jack the Hat
34 minutes ago, room0035 said:

With how well Nuihu finished the season - if he repeats that form we don't need Fletcher, if we could shift him of the wage bill that would save us a few million quid not to mention the savings in medical bills as he always seem to be injured. 

For me all fit Joao, Nuihu, Hooper, Fessi is a good strike force with a few youngster like Preston, the Bulgarian kid (can write his name) who can come in for cup games for experience or if one of the other get injured meaning offloading Winnall went fit, Fletcher and Rhodes, wages is the main saving but any fees is a bonus.

Exactly. I don't think many on here will disagree. Quite surprised I was asked to name them really. Thought it was a bit of a no brainer! Problem of course is finding a team that doesn't know what we all know to take them off our hands!

Edited by Jack the Hat

2 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Last season, prior to him being injured, Westwood was very iffy and cost us points. I'm not saying that he's rubbish or anything just pointing out he's far from fallible.

My inderstanding is that this isn’t a fire sale, but whatever way you look at it it’s great business. I saw all the home games last and quite a few away, and in all those games I never came away saying Hunt or Rhodes was a match winner. I thought Jack Hunt improved but is easily replaceable. Jordan Rhodes just never made a proper impact. On the other hand at some point most of those who are staying gave a match winning performance, some many times.  If we are restricted by FFP then these are the players with value that I’m least upset about losing. If this frees up funds for the wide player with pace and the top class CH we need to partner Tom Lees then it really is good business. 

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

What happens on here is you post something and someone looks at a little of the post then goes at a complete tangent and attack you for something you didn't say.

I was commenting on the fact we all agreed as fans to continue paying the high prices so we continued to invest in the team, The other option was cheaper tickets and a team full of youth team players and free agent.

But so far and this may change we have signed no players even though we are short at left back, right back, centre back and right wing. We have been told unofficially from several source we cannot get anyone in until players leave and now the manager has said he has 8 youth players training with the first team in the hope some can make the step up.

It is great that some of the kids are starting to come through but when you take the fans to their work and continue to charge the high prices up to now we are not seeing any investment in the playing squad view this what ever way you want but this is not the Club holding up their side of the deal.

Changes are needed, others need getting rid of one way or the other, but making a few hundred thousand by charging fans £59 for a football shirt pails into comparison of getting the like of Fletcher, Adbi, Matias, Rhodes of the wage bill and the millions this will save not to mention the saving we make on the medical bills we have to pay on 3 of them. But we stand now 4 weeks to the first game of the season and nothing has change from last season other than a new manager and hopefully the players are fitter. 

I'm not attacking you I don't do attacking. Merely detected a negative tone to your post and your response is, in the main, negative.

I am happy with the way things are going. You are right that we can't buy before we sell and we have some talent about to come through from development. Last season's injury woes were unbelievable and for long periods we had to play second and third choice players. It would be just too horrendous to believe that we will suffer the same again this season. We have a fantastic squad and with renewed belief in players such as Lucas Joao and Atdhe Nuhiu we have fantastic options.

I am also very happy with prices. My season ticket at £15.65p per game is awesome value.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mark1948 said:

Last season, prior to him being injured, Westwood was very iffy and cost us points. I'm not saying that he's rubbish or anything just pointing out he's far from fallible.

As part of that, he was playing (ie. against Sheff Utd) whilst not being fit. 

People often mention he made mistakes v Utd or should have done better, but fail to mention he had a broken rib.

He still has made less mistakes than Wildsmith (who i rate very highly, hes just young and inexperienced)