BREAKING - George Hirst Gone

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

Max Clark the Hull left back who is out of contract his agents were said be keen for him to go abroad. Hirst is under same agent and so may have advised him same. It could be they can make more money out of them by doing this. Actually think more to do with them overrating players value and pricing them out of market. Believe Clare under same Agency which does indicate a certain policy. I do not see it as good management.

I think these deals are going to become more prolific and further dilutes the incentive for clubs to invest time and money into the academy players.

3 minutes ago, Quist said:

Max Clark the Hull left back who is out of contract his agents were said be keen for him to go abroad. Hirst is under same agent and so may have advised him same. It could be they can make more money out of them by doing this. Actually think more to do with them overrating players value and pricing them out of market. Believe Clare under same Agency which does indicate a certain policy. I do not see it as good management.

This is what I also have a suspicion might have happened. This has been manipulated so that an individual or group pocket the transfer fee that would be accrued from selling him on rather that SWFC.

Guest Arcadianrocket

This is all much ado about nothing anyway lads.

I have seen Hirst play and he does not look like he will be a world beater to me. I can see him having a very aveerage career.

The other young striker we have - looks a better prospect,

28 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Yeah, sure I agree with what you say but I would be interested to hear of any actual evidence over and above pure speculation and hearsay.

What do you want?

Leicester.. Hirst joint press statement gloating about how they've pulled a fast one?

Come on....

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Personally I don’t feel football is just like any other job for football players. I think there’s more to it than who can pay me the most money. 

Had Hirst stayed at Wednesday he would have been featuring in our first team last season, for what is a massive club. He would continue to learn and develop alongside some very decent strikers in Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper etc. Who could mentor him.  

In 1-2 years he could then get in our first team more regularly and get legend status like Kane at spurs, and be a local hero. His salary would increase relative to his success. 

He’s chosen to play for some obscure second division team in Belgium, who won’t have the same standard of players to play with and learn from. His salary can only be marginally better than what we would have offered.  And I wouldn’t move my life to Belgium for an increase in salary of a few percentage

Anyway I just don’t agree with the career move he’s made. Others do 

Exactly, for someone that is meant to be a wednesday fan I find it strange he’s chosen to play for a belgium 2nd division team 

Edited by Owls-Fan

1 minute ago, Arcadianrocket said:

This is all much ado about nothing anyway lads.

I have seen Hirst play and he does not look like he will be a world beater to me. I can see him having a very aveerage career.

The other young striker we have - looks a better prospect,

Borukov? I imagine a young Mitrovic in the making - far better.

Guest Arcadianrocket

Another point is why allow these situations to develop? We should be handing longer contracts out to the players we feel could make the grade. Hirst has been spoken about for years, I imagine we have him a 1 year pro deal, just give them 2 FFS

Just now, Arcadianrocket said:

Another point is why allow these situations to develop? We should be handing longer contracts out to the players we feel could make the grade. Hirst has been spoken about for years, I imagine we have him a 1 year pro deal, just give them 2 FFS

And if their advisors say no we want a shorter contract, what then?

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

This is an interesting point 

Whether the FA step in for this transfer now remains to be seen..

There should probably be a rule that clubs with shared ownership can’t be allowed to transfer players to each other.

2 minutes ago, Arcadianrocket said:

Great idea, probably why we did give him a two year deal.

I wonder if we've all been blinded a little by the Leicester connection? 

Perhaps Hirst did not get the offers he was expecting from any club? They panicked and with bridges burnt at Hillsborough, Hirst Sr text his former team mates begging for someone to take his son on and Pearson was the only one who agreed.

Who knows.

6 minutes ago, Arcadianrocket said:

Another point is why allow these situations to develop? We should be handing longer contracts out to the players we feel could make the grade. Hirst has been spoken about for years on owlstalk, I imagine we have him a 1 year pro deal, just give them 2 FFS

Sorry couldn't resist :ghoulguy:

14 minutes ago, Arcadianrocket said:

Either way during the negotiations - we were told by Jos he could not play Hirst,

The negotiations were over as soon as we didn't let him go to Leicester. 

This conclusion is probably a way by them to put two fingers up at the chairman

100% 

Had Hirst still been involved with the U23s and negotiations were amicable it may have been different?

The players reps told the club he wouldn't be signing any contract with Wednesday as soon as we turned down the Leicester bid which his advisors had been busily setting up. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Remember he didn't cost anything other than his wages and a percentage of the training overheads.  Its not like a 'Bosman' where we don't recoup millions spent on incoming transfer costs (transfer fee, agent fee, signing on fee, free car, Nando's vouchers etc etc etc.)

15 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I wonder if we've all been blinded a little by the Leicester connection? 

Perhaps Hirst did not get the offers he was expecting from any club? They panicked and with bridges burnt at Hillsborough, Hirst Sr text his former team mates begging for someone to take his son on and Pearson was the only one who agreed.

Who knows.

That's possible.

But I'll show my arris on the town hall steps if he spends 5 years in the Belgian second division in front of conference crowds. 

Edited by DEH9

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.