Safe Standing at Hillsborough

I've been going on the Kop since 1964 my knees are now knackered so absolutely not,if there is money to spend on ground improvements then skittle the leppings Land end and rebuild .

Up date the Kop getting rid of the restricted views and update the facilities which belong to another era

Edited by akbuk
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, akbuk said:

I've been going on the Kop since 1964 my knees are now knackered so absolutely not,if there is money to spend on ground improvements then skittle the leppings Land end and rebuild .

Up date the Kop getting rid of the restricted views and update the facilities which belong to another era

Can you imagine the outcry in Merseyside if they knockdown the Lepping lane end and replaced it with a stand full of rail seats standing only area.

If we get it any where in the stadium i would assume it will be the North Stand, near the triangle that never get used. Clubs won't be able to charge as much to stand so unless they are going to get more in the areas i cannot see much point in clubs spending millions to allow people to stand to only get the same or less income.

Does anyone know if Celtics Capacity has increased since they installed theirs?

Edited by room0035

41 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Can you imagine the outcry in Merseyside if they knockdown the Lepping lane end and replaced it with a stand full of rail seats standing only area.

If we get it any where in the stadium i would assume it will be the North Stand, near the triangle that never get used. Clubs won't be able to charge as much to stand so unless they are going to get more in the areas i cannot see much point in clubs spending millions to allow people to stand to only get the same or less income.

Does anyone know if Celtics Capacity has increased since they installed theirs?

There's no need to waste no at on rails seats but there is an urgent need to update the stadium and build a new Leppings Lane Stand and absolutely no rails seats

2 hours ago, wednesdaywizard said:

I'd like to see us take a lead on it.  Use Hillsborough as a vehicle to push it forward.  We'll take it on and try to make things better for everyone.

it would cost dc a fortune in building work, and then in lost revenue.

some of you couldn't run a 100 metres let alone a football club.

7 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Of course it should happen and yes I’d use it. Of course also it should happen at hills borough. SoMething that happened in a different era 30 years ago has no bearing on this debate

Also, the naysayers who think because of its past Hillsborough should be the last ground its brought into, maybe if its taken seriously...It should be the first

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Makes you wonder why all those other clubs are doing it eh?

lol

Exactly, its about providing the match day experience their fans want. As was the case with Celtic. Other clubs are trying to follow suit, in a fan driven desire for safe standing. 

18 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

well go on then tell me HOW this building work (removal and refit) isn't going to cost dc to do it?, 

then tell me how selling standing area when weighed against selling seats, is going to recoup those initial losses?

19 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Just been trying to find out why the German teams did it apparently the introduction of standing led to a 1.5 - 1 ratio i.e. if a stand hold 10,000 people the new standing stand hold 15,000. So the standing area would be to get more in to the stands, the problem many will have though is current English fans seated paying £40 a game will move to the standing areas paying presumably less so the clubs won't get anything extra, only lose money unless Standing leads to more fans going to the games which in the short term seems unlikely.

I think there is a danger with safe standing that it becomes the "singing section" and everywhere else becomes a bit dead. (What I've been told by a few Celtic fans)

I still support it though, surely the NW corner would be the obvious choice. Currently bringing in no revenue so prices could be cheaper, about the right size and ng obstructing anyone's view.

On 20/06/2018 at 16:19, room0035 said:

Has the guy in the paper met anyone from SAG that mythical being that no one knows but who has been stopping Hillsborough capacity of nearly 39,500 get anywhere near 33,000 for the last 3 years.

We have more chance of promotion and a new stadium that South Yorkshire Police and SAG allowing standing at Hillsborough. Not to mention with the issues of FFP unless we can pack more in, the prices should come down as standing should be cheaper than sitting.

Why would standing be cheaper? 

Safe standing is a row of seats with a bar behind, the seats are raised to allow standing or locked down for seating only. As for cramming more in, this can't happen as you still get a seat number and therefore once the allocation is sold that's it.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:42, HubristicClapper said:

Said it before,  Hillsborough is the first place this should be introduced if it happens.

Why? Surely that is just making a political statement.

What has happened in the past should be eliminated from the decision altogether. Many factors in football have changed since the 1980's not least of which has been the removal of fences and pens. 

There is a case for trialling the so called safe standing principle but it might be better to begin at a ground with a smaller capacity and smaller attendances to see it in practice in this country then decide on the positives and negatives.

3 hours ago, daleblue said:

Why would standing be cheaper? 

Safe standing is a row of seats with a bar behind, the seats are raised to allow standing or locked down for seating only. As for cramming more in, this can't happen as you still get a seat number and therefore once the allocation is sold that's it.

I am going from the information from Germany who is the only country currently that has a lot of rail seals and by putting them in it has allowed them to add capacity to the stadium the only thing that has changed is the seats have been replaced by rail seats so this would suggest in Germany then have reduced the space for people.

Will England do it who know - but ask yourself a simple question would you spend millions of pounds for nothing - useless you have a chairman with more money than sense the answer is no. So there has to be a financial benefit from putting in rail seats and the obvious one seems to be they can get more in hence increasing revenues.

8 hours ago, room0035 said:

I am going from the information from Germany who is the only country currently that has a lot of rail seals and by putting them in it has allowed them to add capacity to the stadium the only thing that has changed is the seats have been replaced by rail seats so this would suggest in Germany then have reduced the space for people.

Will England do it who know - but ask yourself a simple question would you spend millions of pounds for nothing - useless you have a chairman with more money than sense the answer is no. So there has to be a financial benefit from putting in rail seats and the obvious one seems to be they can get more in hence increasing revenues.

If you reduce the space anymore people wont be able to get in, I bought a Season ticket in the South just behind the dug outs, I had to move after one match couldn't get any leg room, and I'm only 13st and 5'11 so not huge, adding capacity would only work if for instance all the Kop was safe standing, and that's not going to happen. Hope safe standing happens.

For me, put it in the segment between the North and Away, nothing lost if it don't work.

Edited by daleblue