WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

4 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Germany are going to beat S Korea, aren't they?

Mexico will probably get the point they need to win the group (and avoid Brazil in the next round)

That's assuming Brazil fancy winning their group - only to end up playing the Germans next Monday

^^ THIS is why I never bet money on the outcome of football matches

S Korea  2-0  Germany ... Wow, just wow

I was convinced time stood still for those last 20mins - and then the ref decided to add on another six

How many times did Korea catch them on the break only to screw up the final pass or fail to have a shot

Meanwhile German pressure seemed relentless - even though they wasted chance after chance

Then Korea score and the flag's up - The goal was good but who'd bet on VAR getting it right?

Not me, obviously

Then the second with Neuer in the Korean half - laugh?

Mexico  0-3  Sweden ... Didn't see the cat, or the pigeons

But after the last match, wasn't there something poetic about Sweden going through and Germany going out?

Mexico too, it would've been a travestry if a late German goal had dumped them out after winning their first game

Hahaha ... Anyone fancy Serbia tonight?  :laugh:

• Haha 1

Where is @Will69???? Has he done something serious and got chucked off or has he just done a runner on the back of ze Germans poor performance? I was enjoying him slagging England off at every opportunity and telling us how well Poland and Germany were going to do in comparison...... 

Serbia  0-2  Brazil ... Bit of an anticlimax after the German game, but you can't have everything  :rolleyes:

Serbia had a little patch at the start of the second half but a goal either side of the break made for a fairly routine win

Brazil v Mexico then, that ought to be spicy

Switzerland  2-2  Costa Rica ... sounds like a decent game, complete with an injury time equalizer for Costa Rica

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
41 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Serbia  0-2  Brazil ... Bit of an anticlimax after the German game, but you can't have everything  :rolleyes:

Serbia had a little patch at the start of the second half but a goal either side of the break made for a fairly routine win

Brazil v Mexico then, that ought to be spicy

Switzerland  2-2  Costa Rica ... sounds like a decent game, complete with an injury time equalizer for Costa Rica

Maybe the Brazilians will have their shirts on the right way around this time.

Senegal  0-1  Colombia ... Tense finish, but in truth the arithmetic was more dramatic than the football

Senegal were cruising and went top of the group once Poland had scored - Japan were going home

But then Colombia scored and it was Senegal's turn to panic

A lot could still happen with about 20mins to go, but it didn't - Japan go through by having fewer yellow cards

Japan  0-1  Poland ... With the other game strolling towards a 0-0 I thought Japan might provide the excitement

I flicked over to BBC2 just as Lawrenson said: "The trouble is ..." That was enough for me  :dry:

• Haha 1