WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

4 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I've never rated Pickford - doesn't matter who he's playing for, he gets to pick the ball out the net too often

Why Everton paid all that money is beyond me

That were a sign against Preston a few years back, when McGugan beat him from close to the halfway line  :happy:

Given the three out there, i'd have gone with Pope - but I suppose that'll never happen

Maybe they're just waiting for either Dawson or Wildsmith to step up and stake a claim?

I prefer Pope as well but I rate Pickford quite highly. Everton were shambolic at times last season & it was only Pickford that kept them in it. 

France  4-3  Argentina ... What's all this? France involved in entertaining game shock?

There were times when it seemed to be following the script - the French setting out to win free kicks

all over the pitch - scoring from the spot and then hitting the bar from another set piece

When Argentina managed to get 2-1 up I thought they'd be the ones more likely to progress as the French reverted to type

But then that strike to make it 2-2, blimey! After that Argentina seemed to implode

At 4-2 it looked like game over, the atmosphere disappeared and heads dropped

4-3 was just icing on the cake

Uruguay v Portugal tonight, the bar has been set  :mellow:

First time we've seen France play to their potential this tournament. 

On paper, they're as good as anyone, but up until today, they looked leggy, clumbersome and generally lacking ideas. 

Argentina's shambolic set-up certainly helped, but there were times when Pogba, Greizmann and Mbappe linked up, France looked impressive.

Be interesting quarter final...neither Uruguay or Portugal will gift them as much space as the Argie's did. 

Thought this was amusing,had been in shed doing some fishing gear up for next week ,missus was watching France v Argentina ,she says why isn't Harry Kane playing.

WTF: WTF.

Thats the ladies for you.!!

Edited by Hughthecone
  • Haha 2

On 29/06/2018 at 10:27, devonshire owl said:

When you see other countries,all the women are georgeous.when you see england all they show is the band.any english ladies attending england games.

I don't know what gives you that idea, check out our little beauty here, legs like f...in Oxy bottles.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 17.55.16.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 29/06/2018 at 12:00, Ethel The Tree said:

I've never rated Pickford - doesn't matter who he's playing for, he gets to pick the ball out the net too often

Why Everton paid all that money is beyond me

That were a sign against Preston a few years back, when McGugan beat him from close to the halfway line  :happy:

Given the three out there, i'd have gone with Pope - but I suppose that'll never happen

Maybe they're just waiting for either Dawson or Wildsmith to step up and stake a claim?

Popes dead mate. 

• Haha 2

Uruguay  2-1  Portugal ... billed as Suarez (famous for cheating & biting people) v Ronaldo (posing, esp holiday snaps alongside Jose Semedo)

At least Hannibal was true to form - couple of phantom head injuries & the odd close-up of his gnashers

Ronaldo? Jose has the yacht fully prepped and ready to go

Loved this ref too - didn't fall for any play acting. Thought he'd lost the pea out of his whistle at one stage

Another great game though with another couple of cracking goals

Have to upgrade the tournament to eight out of ten on the strength of today's games

What an amazing World Cup this is:
World Champions - Out.
World Cup finalists - Out.
Confederations Cup winners - Out
Confederations Cup runner up - Did not qualify
European Champions - Out
South American Champions - Did not qualify
South American runner up - Out
Asian Champions - Out
Asian runners up - Out
African Cup winners - Did not qualify
African Cup runner up - Out
North American Champions - Did not qualify
North American runner up - Did not qualify
Oceana Champions - Did not qualify.
Oceana runners up Did not qualify.

France are the only nation out of 16 World and Continental finalists left in the World Cup.

• Like 2

On 29/06/2018 at 03:27, devonshire owl said:

When you see other countries,all the women are georgeous.when you see england all they show is the band.any english ladies attending england games.

Yeah, the band! WTF:

Spain  1-1  Russia ... This was never going to be a thriller over 90mins, and so it proved

Spain went ahead early on with yet another OG and the match was in danger of becoming pedestrian

Russia equalized with yet another penalty and after that it was all about Spanish possession and resolute defending

from the hosts

Once it got to extra time you'd have to hard-hearted to hope Spain would nick it when they rarely looked capable of

creating a chance worthy of winning the game - just more possession and a procession of set pieces

Spain even tried for a VAR penalty appeal on 115mins - but Putin would be having none of that

So a penalty shoot-out to decide it - Russia scored four, Spain missed two

Fantastic World Cup.

Its the 11th World Cup I've watched and it's by far the best.

The only people not enjoying it probably are the press (gutter and tabloid) and the politicians who were all telling us that it would be full of hooliganism, racism, unwelcoming anti-western natives. Just shows what bull we are fed on a daily basis.

The Russians have nailed it and shown the world how to run a tournament.

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie Chuck said:

Fantastic World Cup.

Its the 11th World Cup I've watched and it's by far the best.

The only people not enjoying it probably are the press (gutter and tabloid) and the politicians who were all telling us that it would be full of hooliganism, racism, unwelcoming anti-western natives. Just shows what bull we are fed on a daily basis.

The Russians have nailed it and shown the world how to run a tournament.

Agree on all points

Perfectly summed up

Owlstalk Shop