On Debut

I’m on my way to Hillsborough early in the season to make my debut appearance as a Wednesday supporter. Been a fan watching from the other side of the world for 30 plus years. Looking for suggestions on what I should try and experience as I’m not sure when it will happen again. As in where’s the best place to sit as a rookie. Best watering holes before and after. As well as any other match day must dos and do nots ? My baseline is Jimmy Hill on a Monday night or waking up at 3 am trying to log into Wednesday Player so any suggestions are welcome.

• Like 9

Old Crown and Hillsborough Barracks for the boozers, or if these are rammed (can be if you're not in early enough) make your way to Hillsborough Corner where there are a number in close proximity to each other.

As for where to sit - depends what you want. The South Stand offers the best view and is the most modern. North Stand probably offers the best atmosphere. Experiencing the Kop would be my suggestion.

Try an pick a popular game if you can - Hillsborough close to capacity is a true sight to behold, as where it can look a bit empty and not as impressive with less than 25,000 in attendance.

If you are in Sheffield before/after, try and get on a stadium tour if possible.

Enjoy!

Just now, the monk said:

Avoid the kop, it will put you off for life 

Terrible stand 

It's all about the tradition and what being on the Kop means to a Wednesdayite. Even Megson took new signings up the Kop so they could get an idea of what the Hillsborough Kop means to be Sheffield Wednesday.

I love it and spent many a game there over the years watching us, but I'd rather the better view and facilities these days from the South Stand! A Wednesdayite who hasn't been to Hillsborough though, I'd say it's a must.

6 minutes ago, Nswowl said:

Yeah looks like the place to be but probably not for someone wet behind the ears like myself. First time at any ground in the UK so will probably opt for the North Stand. 

If its your first time go in South. North will put you off too. There's no leg room and the stand hasn't been painted since the late 60s.

13 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Old Crown and Hillsborough Barracks for the boozers, or if these are rammed (can be if you're not in early enough) make your way to Hillsborough Corner where there are a number in close proximity to each other.

As for where to sit - depends what you want. The South Stand offers the best view and is the most modern. North Stand probably offers the best atmosphere. Experiencing the Kop would be my suggestion.

Try an pick a popular game if you can - Hillsborough close to capacity is a true sight to behold, as where it can look a bit empty and not as impressive with less than 25,000 in attendance.

If you are in Sheffield before/after, try and get on a stadium tour if possible.

Enjoy!

Cheers for the advice. I wasn’t aware they offered a stadium tour so will def be in for that. 

8 minutes ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

Im all for being a Wednesday fan and supporter because WAWAW... but you aren't coming all the way over here just to watch Wednesday are you? :ph34r:

Im not flying in on the Saturday and flying out on the Sunday but it’s one of a couple of bucket list things I’m ticking off. It’s at least half the reason.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Nswowl said:

I’m on my way to Hillsborough early in the season to make my debut appearance as a Wednesday supporter. Been a fan watching from the other side of the world for 30 plus years. Looking for suggestions on what I should try and experience as I’m not sure when it will happen again. As in where’s the best place to sit as a rookie. Best watering holes before and after. As well as any other match day must dos and do nots ? My baseline is Jimmy Hill on a Monday night or waking up at 3 am trying to log into Wednesday Player so any suggestions are welcome.

You have to make sure you visit a Beres Pork Sandwich shop they set up up for the day and are very reasonably priced.

Just now, OxonOwl said:

So, how did you become an Owl?

I was a kid and used to watch Match of the Day late at night in the early eighties. I was intrigued as to why a team would be called Wednesday. So I decided they were my team. 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

If its your first time go in South. North will put you off too. There's no leg room and the stand hasn't been painted since the late 60s.

Far more legroom on the north than the south and a lot better atmosphere. As someone mentioned above try and get over for a big game if possible. Get in the local boozer before and after then head  into town via kelham island pub for a pork pie about eightish. Reet day out

7 minutes ago, Nswowl said:

I was a kid and used to watch Match of the Day late at night in the early eighties. I was intrigued as to why a team would be called Wednesday. So I decided they were my team. 

Nice one.

1 hour ago, Nswowl said:

Take a good set of Earplugs with you if you decide to risk damaging your hearing by going on the Kop.And that is down to that awful racket called the Wednesday band which should have been shot years ago. :tango:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nswowl said:

Im not flying in on the Saturday and flying out on the Sunday but it’s one of a couple of bucket list things I’m ticking off. It’s at least half the reason.

Hi, I'm going the opposite way in September, I have a ST on the North but I think my mother-in-law has plans for it otherwise.......

I would go for the North but book early.