On Debut

1 hour ago, Nswowl said:

Yeah looks like the place to be but probably not for someone wet behind the ears like myself. First time at any ground in the UK so will probably opt for the North Stand. 

The Kop isn't 'challenging' for someone who hasn't been before - it's pretty family-friendly these days, bit lairy and sweary up at the back still (but the band noise will put you off before that does). Anywhere other than the back ten rows I'd absolutely feel comfortable taking my nan.

lol

It's the best all-round atmosphere too, IMO. The South and North are both probably fractionally more comfortable in terms of seating legroom and facilities (risk of being blinded by sun on North if it's really blazing, so take sunnies!), but honestly, if this might possibly be your only trip to S6, go on the Kop.

You can't beat the feeling of walking out on there just before kickoff I don't think. And if you're on the South or North you'll keep looking at the Kop thinking 'I wonder...'.

If it's a bucket list thing, do it!

(edit: unless you actually want a VIEW of the Kop, of course - which is generally also fairly impressive!)

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

Long trip NSW, don't know how long you're over here for, but you may be able to watch more than 1 game, subject to fixture list on 21st June. Also watch out for the dreaded fixture move for Sky broadcasting. Could scupper your plans. 

4 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Much prefer roast pork sandwiches from Helen's butchers (just up from Beres)! Bigger, better, and cheaper!

Apple Sauce or Stuffing or even both.Which do you prefer then to go with it ? :tongue:

Can you wait a couple of weeks to book everything ?.....if so wait for the fixtures to come out on the 21st June and you may be able to take in a couple of games Saturday and Tuesday with a bit of luck and a home draw in the cup which will mean you can do the Kop and North /South

Also have you thought about taking in an away game.....nob head count amongst our fans increases dramatically but would still be an experience for you 

2 hours ago, Nswowl said:

I’m on my way to Hillsborough early in the season to make my debut appearance as a Wednesday supporter. Been a fan watching from the other side of the world for 30 plus years. Looking for suggestions on what I should try and experience as I’m not sure when it will happen again. As in where’s the best place to sit as a rookie. Best watering holes before and after. As well as any other match day must dos and do nots ? My baseline is Jimmy Hill on a Monday night or waking up at 3 am trying to log into Wednesday Player so any suggestions are welcome.

South Stand a bit low on atmosphere and cramped if you're 6 ft tall or more. 

Kop has good atmosphere but poor facilities and columns can spoil the view unless you get near the front. Not too near if it rains.

Try North Stand somewhere around centre rows 20/25 for good view & easy access from upper concourse. You'll need to book early to get a seat there though.

• Like 1

I'd pick the North. Best atmosphere in the ground and great unobstructured view unless its sunny which is highly unlikely. We only do ground tours for 3pm kick offs as it takes 2.5 hours to complete and the dressing room area has to be clear by 12.30 so just bear that in mind. Welcome on board as long as you realise the visit could damage your future health and life expectancy.

• Like 1

Guest Maxine
2 hours ago, the monk said:

Avoid the kop, it will put you off for life 

Terrible stand 

My favourite stand.

1 hour ago, daztheowl said:

Long trip NSW, don't know how long you're over here for, but you may be able to watch more than 1 game, subject to fixture list on 21st June. Also watch out for the dreaded fixture move for Sky broadcasting. Could scupper your plans. 

This is a good point. If we get a home draw in the league cup first round and the first home game you could have a bumper attendance for the opening league game and sample a night game for the cup one.

I think they are in the same week. Carlos first season was Bristol City and home on the Saturday and Mansfield home on the Tuesday(?). Only the South was open to home fans for Mansfield but a warm summers evening under the lights was decent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nswowl said:

Im not flying in on the Saturday and flying out on the Sunday but it’s one of a couple of bucket list things I’m ticking off. It’s at least half the reason.

Fair play my man, I just really really hope that we come up with the goods for you in the match you come to watch. 

I would recommend the North stand... still abit of the atmosphere minus abit of the riff raff..

• Like 1

I'd go in the North but then I'm biased. If you like pointing and making rude hand signs, and the occassional smell of flares go towards the Leppings Lane end. 

Our trophy room is worth a look (like Barcelona's but not as full).

• Haha 1

The North Stand is my favourite, but you get the best view of it from the South.  It looks fantastic when full. Definitely do the stadium tour on the day of the match if you can so you get to see the view from all the stands plus all the behind the scenes stuff in the South stand.

• Like 1

People saying the kop/north will put you off, I’m totally convinced that it won’t, and if it does then football might not be for you. Like others have said, try to pick the biggest game you can. Hillsborough on a packed out big atmosphere match is the like nothing else! Don’t worry too much about what you shouldn’t do, you’re there to enjoy yourself and Visit the greatest club in the land like everyone else, enjoy it! 

• Like 1