Westwood Going

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Why do you say that Acqui?

He only played 13 games last season and we did fine considering the other injuries.

we did fine? We finished 15th or whatever.

Other two are good but not Championship keepers.  Will regret.

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

this wont be any surprise , the only way the club can fetch venancio in for 800k and 1-2 other additions is freeing up westwoods 25k a week wage and maybe getting a couple of million for him , a fit westwood is an asset but that's a big if. 

So that would enable us to sign someone for cold hard cash money right,am sure i read on here we'd only be signing loan players and or freebies for the next two years.

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

this wont be any surprise , the only way the club can fetch venancio in for 800k and 1-2 other additions is freeing up westwoods 25k a week wage and maybe getting a couple of million for him , a fit westwood is an asset but that's a big if. 

Why is it the only way?  

Shame to see him go, one of the best keepers I've seen at S6 in my 37 years of attending,  but letting him go makes sense considering his big wage, unreliable recent fitness record, advancing years (but not that old for a keeper) and the fact that we have two very good young keepers to compete for the shirt. 

Edited by alanharper
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

we did fine? We finished 15th or whatever.

Other two are good but not Championship keepers.  Will regret.

I qualified it by saying given the injuries.

Goalkeeping was not our problem area last season even in the absence of KW so why should it be a problem if he isn't here at all?

33 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

Apparently being moved on in the summer and has already said his goodbyes to the playing staff. 

Heard from a friend who has who knows someone in the first team squad.

Before anyone has a pop about it being made up - I’m just sharing what I’ve heard from what has previously been a pretty reliable source, and secondly I don’t benefit from making stuff up!

thoughts if true? 

Utterbollox 

Edited by casbahowl

30 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

Apparently being moved on in the summer and has already said his goodbyes to the playing staff. 

Heard from a friend who has who knows someone in the first team squad.

Before anyone has a pop about it being made up - I’m just sharing what I’ve heard from what has previously been a pretty reliable source, and secondly I don’t benefit from making stuff up!

thoughts if true? 

I'm not having a pop but I think you're making it up.

Don't know who your source is but he seems unreliable.

I'm not sure what  you benefit from making this stuff up.

I'm thoughtless.

FFS.

Just now, Utah Owl said:

I qualified it by saying given the injuries.

Goalkeeping was not our problem area last season even in the absence of KW so why should it be a problem if he isn't here at all?

I dont see it as an improvement to the squad.  Which was the problem last summer.

Getting very worried that we are asset stripping and signing up the kids.

3 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

So that would enable us to sign someone for cold hard cash money right,am sure i read on here we'd only be signing loan players and or freebies for the next two years.

if no player leaves for cash in next 2 years then no1 will be signed for cash either . a 27 million wage bill and a 20 million pound plus loss last season says we cant spend unless we sell ,not rocket science is it. 

3 minutes ago, barn_owl said:

I'd be disappointed if he went if I'm honest. He is still our number 1 choice in my opinion and as good as Wildsmith & Dawson have been I think if we are to compete at the top we need his experience. Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if he went. 

This is pretty much spot on for me. 

As good as Wildsmith has been he's prone to a few big mistakes & doesn't particularly command his area. He's young & will get better but for me Dawson looks more calm & assured, however we've yet to see how he'll react under severe pressure & after a few mistakes.

If we're looking to be in & around the top two or play off places I'd feel more confident if we had Westwoods experience between the sticks.

Just now, Watson said:

You read someone's opinion 

Dear old handsworth has a habbit of posting stuff which i ultimately try and get him to justify what/why,he posts what he does,if those posts have the word "fact" or summat else like "sorry but its the truth".

My not very subtle reply to his post in westwood leaving was part of that.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

I dont see it as an improvement to the squad.  Which was the problem last summer.

Getting very worried that we are asset stripping and signing up the kids.

Yeah, "you don't win anything with kids!"

Plus he's only an asset if he is available to play which he hasn't been for 6 months!

Edited by Utah Owl

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

if no player leaves for cash in next 2 years then no1 will be signed for cash either . a 27 million wage bill and a 20 million pound plus loss last season says we cant spend unless we sell ,not rocket science is it. 

There are currently 5 players off the wage bill at swfc,those five wages combined would translate to a decent transfer fee,would they not ?

Why on gods green earth would you summise no one would leave for fee's in two years,not rocket science is it ?

Probably the worst kept secret in all honesty. Not itk or anything but wouldn't be surprised at all. He will go for a decent wedge as well

Edited by darra

This was always the one that looked the most likely, how I ultimately feel about it will be dictated mainly by the fee and then by where he goes......I can see the logic in it, however hard it might be to take.

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

There are currently 5 players off the wage bill at swfc,those five wages combined would translate to a decent transfer fee,would they not ?

Why on gods green earth would you summise no one would leave for fee's in two years,not rocket science is it ?

5 players off wage bill? who are they? only Wallace,loovens gone.  hirst and clare are on pocket money probably a few hundred a week.