Westwood Going

A goalkeeper can't win games but he can stop you losing. Of all the positions on the pitch the one which has the most impact on results is the keeper. Even a few percentage points in extra ability can influence how a season turns out.

A top team always has a strong spine, Keeper, central defender, central midfield and a top scorer. We have already got the top keeper, no point getting rid of him unless we are really seriously skint. If that's the case KW isn't the best option to sell, his wages are decent but not excessive and I can't see us getting much for him. 1 or 2M won't make much difference. If we really are skint, Rhodes would be the best bet for cutting costs, loan him out or sell him for a decent price. (and I'm a fan of Rhodes).

Guest wilyfox
7 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Anyone else rather keep Westwood and one of Wildsmith/Dawson and cash in the chips on either Wildsmith or Dawson?

No.

Both Wildsmith and Dawson should increase in value. The price on Westwood's head will only go one way. Besides, knowing our luck we'd sell the wrong one and watch the other go on to have the better career of the two.

My prediction if Westwood were to stay would be... He continues to struggle for fitness. The club continue to pay his (probable hefty) wages, and then we lose him on a free next year.

This is our last chance to make a profit on the player, get his wages off the bill, and clear the pathway for our talented young keepers. Neither have his experience or finished learning their trade - but there's only one way they will from this point. They've both shown competence to prove they're ready for greater responsibility moving forward. 

11 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

No.

Both Wildsmith and Dawson should increase in value. The price on Westwood's head will only go one way. Besides, knowing our luck we'd sell the wrong one and watch the other go on to have the better career of the two.

My prediction if Westwood were to stay would be... He continues to struggle for fitness. The club continue to pay his (probable hefty) wages, and then we lose him on a free next year.

This is our last chance to make a profit on the player, get his wages off the bill, and clear the pathway for our talented young keepers. Neither have his experience or finished learning their trade - but there's only one way they will from this point. They've both shown competence to prove they're ready for greater responsibility moving forward. 

I held the same view too, but changed thinking one of Wildsmith/Dawson would see staying here as seriously hampering their career. Sure either wouldn’t complain being behind Westwood for another season, but can’t imagine either would be happy being behind the other.

Also, what transfer fee would Westwood bring given his age, recent injury record, and final year of his contract?

The third option is to cash in on Westwood, loan one of the young lads out, keep the other as no.1, and bring in a free senior back up...

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Guest wilyfox
8 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I held the same view too, but changed thinking one of Wildsmith/Dawson would see staying here as seriously hampering their career. Sure either wouldn’t complain being behind Westwood for another season, but can’t imagine either would be happy being behind the other.

Also, what transfer fee would Westwood bring given his age, recent injury record, and final year of his contract?

The third option is to cash in on Westwood, loan one of the young lads out, keep the other as no.1, and bring in a free senior back up...

We've produced sod all young talent in recent years. Palmer has been the best of our youth team dross. Now we're lucky enough to have two really promising young keepers, and people are looking for a negative? I don't understand it.

There is always a right time to sell a player. This is Westwood's time, in my opinion. Wildsmith and Dawson look ready to step up. 

51 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Andy Rhodes looks to have done a phenomenal job over the last few years. You'd like to think he's been consulted on the goalkeeping situation, and whether he feels Wildsmith or Dawson are ready to be a number one for the whole season.

It's a big risk if we're serious about challenging (letting a proven, top quality keeper go in favour of relatively inexperienced youngsters) but if Rhodes thinks one of them is ready then fair enough.

It's not a case of letting him go because we have two decent back ups though- it's whether either of them is truly ready/good enough for a team supposedly aiming for promotion.

There's a big difference between being competent and being outstanding. Westwood has shown he can be outstanding, and you often need an outstanding keeper to get promoted.

Exactly this. The 2 young lads are both good prospects and decent keepers in their own right but at this point in time a fit Westwood is head and shoulders above them. I don't think its an exaggeration to say having Westwood between the sticks could be worth 10 points over the course of the season. He could easily be the difference between making or not making the top 6.

Someone is gonna gain an amazing keeper. 

But we need to ease our ffp constraints and he is the best option to sell. 

I have plenty of faith in our other two. 

It just makes sense given our predicament 

I remember in the early nineties when we had two of the best young centre halves in the country in our reserves

They couldn't break into the side because our two regular centre halves were excellent, even though age was catching up on them

A manager like Jos would have sold the two aging centre halves and kept the youngsters

Our manager at the time was Ron Atkinson, in my opinion the best manager we have had in my 59 years of watching Wednesday, he decided to stick with experience, the two young centre halves left and joined Leeds

Leeds were champions of England the following season with the two young centre halves playing regularly

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Westwood is a brilliant keeper, probably the best in the division when fit

But Wildesmith and Dawson are the future, I hope we don't make the same mistake

And I don't think Jos will

• Like 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Ash76
2 hours ago, marshy said:

big 4, GH

Really?

2 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

£4/5 million 

Ha, we’ll do well to get £2m

Westwood has been great for us but the timing is right if he goes and I’ll wish him well. Dawson for me 

Just now, Lichfield alien said:

Based on the same assumption 'they can only get better'..nobody knows.

So from what you have seen of Wildsmith or Dawson, is there nothing there that suggests both will improve in the future?