The new/old #SWFC badge

The change didn’t make any sense to me. If you think about what makes for effective branding, having a simple but striking logo is right up there. Look at say, Adidas & Apple, or Chelsea & Real Madrid. They’re versatile and scaleable, which is more important now than ever in the digital age. They look good on a huge poster, or as a thumbnail on a screen.

What we had before was already perfect for the modern era and didn’t need changing. The current badge is a mess and further down the line if we make it back into the big time, won’t do us many favours in terms of global marketing.

If it’s the one we’re stuck with then so be it, but it was a strange decision from Chansiri.

8 minutes ago, Samurai Blue said:

The change didn’t make any sense to me. If you think about what makes for effective branding, having a simple but striking logo is right up there. Look at say, Adidas & Apple, or Chelsea & Real Madrid. They’re versatile and scaleable, which is more important now than ever in the digital age. They look good on a huge poster, or as a thumbnail on a screen.

What we had before was already perfect for the modern era and didn’t need changing. The current badge is a mess and further down the line if we make it back into the big time, won’t do us many favours in terms of global marketing.

If it’s the one we’re stuck with then so be it, but it was a strange decision from Chansiri.

Excellent post 

• Thanks 1

When I first saw the current badge I was thought it was a hideous, fugly mess and massive step backwards from the iconic, stencilled owl, which in my eyes is one of the best badges in world football.

Two years on and if anything I dislike it more. Every time I see the old badge I see my club and immediately identify with it. When I see the current badge, I just see a vastly inferior, ugly imposter. Perhaps my disdain will wane if I see it on stripes, but all the mis-steps Chansiri has made since becoming chairman, changing the badge and kit annoy me the most as what we had before was damn near perfect, and what we have now is frankly dreadful.

2 hours ago, Samurai Blue said:

So a students scribble from the 70's is fit for the modern era lol The badge we have is about tradition and gravitas not some thing that a five year old can copy on his school book FFS

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

So a students scribble from the 70's is fit for the modern era lol The badge we have is about tradition and gravitas not some thing that a five year old can copy on his school book FFS

If you’d have noted my reasoning then, yeah, it’s totally fit for the modern era. And it’s hardly a student’s scribble.

2 hours ago, Samurai Blue said:

won’t do us many favours in terms of global marketing.

I've always thought the same about kits.

Real Madrid - All white

Liverpool - All Red

Man United - Red shirt, white shorts black socks.

Celtic - Hoops, white, white

Rangers - Blue , black , socks.

There's just some things that you know as soon as you see them. You don't need to check the names in the corner of the screen to know who they are . Instantly recognisable.

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Unfortunately, the tradition and gravitas the new badge portrays is one of being amateurs.

As others have mentioned, the previous badge was instantly recognizable, aesthetically pleasing, and iconic. It's everything you want in a badge, so from a marketing perspective it was foolish to change.

Even if you do like the new badge, what benefits were there in changing it? I only see downsides, so it's a non-brainer from me: old badge wins hands down.