Everton to push ahead and sign #SWFC striker

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I really hope George tells his side of the story in the summer.

Money in football? In 2018? Never, football isn't about money.

Supporters need to get real. We had a potential future England player on our books and we treated him poorly. I understand he's a young lad who should earn his dues, wash the first teamers boots etc. But football has changed. Players have more power these days and sometimes you have to pander to them. 

I've said it in this thread already. Signing Winnall and Rhodes blew our chances of keeping George. And oh the irony. Two players who have contributed very little in a Wednesday shirt, at the expense of our most exciting prospect for years. Just because the club were so fixated on the Premier League it lost sight of everything else. 

Hopefully the club has learned from their mistakes. 

There's still time for Rhodes to contribute. Winnall more than likely will go for multi times more than we paid. Perhaps George just priced himself way out of the club budget for players with potential. We still don't know what he can achieve. He might go on to great things he might flop like many youngsters do. 

Good luck to him but we have other promising youngsters who now know that the club aren't a soft touch.

25 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Supporters need to get real. We had a potential future England player on our books and we treated him poorly. I understand he's a young lad who should earn his dues, wash the first teamers boots etc. But football has changed. Players have more power these days and sometimes you have to pander to them. 

I've said it in this thread already. Signing Winnall and Rhodes blew our chances of keeping George. And oh the irony. Two players who have contributed very little in a Wednesday shirt, at the expense of our most exciting prospect for years. Just because the club were so fixated on the Premier League it lost sight of everything else. 

Maybe he needs to as well...some people just like blaming the club...we shall see...

1 hour ago, Will69 said:

41 more games for a professional club than 99% of people who ever logged on here and 100% more national caps than you would ever dream of having.

So, yeah...

Well yeah he got one more Welsh cap than me who isn’t even Welsh. So well done. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

You realise that during CC's tenure we had FF, Hooper, Joao, Nuhiu, Fletcher, Winnall etc all available to play.  Hirst was never going to get into the team ahead of that lot.....

Correct but it's easier to blame CC for everything.

28 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Well yeah he got one more Welsh cap than me who isn’t even Welsh. So well done. 

So you’re belittling the fact that the bloke played for his nation?

You’re a tít.

Also a shít footballer.

8 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

You realise that during CC's tenure we had FF, Hooper, Joao, Nuhiu, Fletcher, Winnall etc all available to play.  Hirst was never going to get into the team ahead of that lot.....

Weren't most of those injured at extended points during CC's tenure?

And let's not bring up Joao, CC buried him.

8 hours ago, Beholder said:

I blame Carlos Carvahal for this. 

If he had not been so vehemently against using our home grown players and given him chances, along with impressing on the chairman how it important it is for thses players to be signed up to the club, he would be staying. 

Instead our brightest prospect and also the son of a legend is off elsewhere for peanuts. 

Its an absolute travesty. 

season 1 of Carlos's reign he was 16/17 and struggling to get a game in the  23s never mind the 1st team , season 2 the team was doing well and finished 4th and  going for promotion /play offs isn't the time to be giving untried youngsters a run out ...season 3 chansiri put a block on hirst playing for any side .......how the feck can carlos  be blamed for the situation ?

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Football is largely about money, fame, prestige and ego.

The problems with GH existed before we signed Winnall and Rhodes. He may well tell his side of the story but I'm pretty sure that won't include the level of wages he was demanding.

9 hours ago, Beholder said:

I blame Carlos Carvahal for this. 

If he had not been so vehemently against using our home grown players and given him chances, along with impressing on the chairman how it important it is for thses players to be signed up to the club, he would be staying. 

Instead our brightest prospect and also the son of a legend is off elsewhere for peanuts. 

Its an absolute travesty. 

A lot seem to agree with you on this but can someone explain the logic. CC was not responsible for sorting out contract renewals - that has been made very clear.

Lot's of opinions on this, some quite strongly pointing the finger in specific directions, let me tell you this, all parties are culpable to some degree and the blame does not lay with any one of them exclusively.

CC - However young and inexperienced GH was the coach should have had the foresight to know that someone with his undoubted level of talent needed to be more involved in and around the first team. However much we may have wanted to protect him this ultimately backfired.

DC - As I've said several times before, as the owner you need to be the adult in the room. The moment you hear yourself saying "you won't' play for us at any level until you sign a contract" is quite frankly the moment you lose. He needed to be bigger than that, right up to the end there have been numerous opportunities to involve GH and maybe, just maybe rekindle his love for the club and at least make him think twice. We removed that option from ourselves and quite frankly at the highest level we needed to be bigger than that.

DH - I don't know the details of his falling out at S6 but undoubtedly he is the single largest influence on GH, the terms of his departure must be a factor, you can't help but feel he made it personal. An icon of our club, one of the best players ever to wear the blue and white stripes and he's highlighted just how little loyalty there is in football. Of course, he wants what is right for his son and it's difficult to argue that there won't be much better opportunities to develop elsewhere but he could have handled this differently. Even signing a shorter deal and allowing the club to negotiate a sale would have been a more honourable way out. But, as they say, blood is thicker than water.

GH - He's young but he's also technically an adult, nobody is making him do anything, however difficult and tempting it may be the grass isn't always greener and you learn in life not to burn bridges. As above, I can't help but think there was a more honourable way to leave, one that left everyone happy, to a degree. 

Ultimately, I feel the issue of money is a smokescreen, there was an underlying desire to leave on the part of the Hirsts, CC and more so DC made it easy for them with their actions. As with any dispute, there is rarely a party not at fault, to some degree.

Edited by Morepork
  • Thanks 1

Just now, djorkaeff said:

They could loan us vlasic for the season and £2million. 

Why would they want to do that when they can sign him on a free and wait for the tribunal to award us £1m plus add ons?

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not buying that...signing Winnall and Rhodes made zero difference + the contact stuff was turning sour well before they signed.  Whatever club he goes to, especially the likes of Everton, Man Utd etc, he’d be likely overshadowed by bigger and better signings anyway. If he’s chucking toys out because we signed a couple of more experienced and more successful players, then he needs a reality check. 

And as for telling his side of the story, they already did that via various media articles. I remember Hirstys pal lambasted the club on Biggys show as well.

As I said earlier, I’ve not doubt Wednesday have contributed to this saga. But it’s disingenous to suggests they’re solely to blame. 

4 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Yes he did score that amount of goals.

But that was because he wasn't in the first team, also we had Rhodes and Winnall come into the team.

Im not saying we've handled the situation amazingly, it could have been better. But I can see the reasons why he wasn't given a shot last season.

What I can't stick up for is how he's handled the situation.

Agreed but he's a kid and every kid wants to play in the premier league whether they are ready or not. Good luck to him but I just hope we can get a decent return for our investment in him so far.

Then next season hopefully Preston and the Bulgaria lad will be the ones we are talking about making the breakthrough and it's a case of George who...

But I know of have a feeling he is the real deal and in a few years the Vardy got away will seem like small change compared to what we could had had with Hirst.

We have totally alienated one of the worlds most promising young players by using threats, intimidatons and ultimations to get gh to sign. 

I find the way gh has been treated as distasteful in the extreme.. 

I'm pleased he's as withstood the barage of abuse he's had to put up with. 

If we'd treated gh decently then he'd have stayed. What must he think when rubbish like nuhiu gets in the team ahead of him? 

There's a nasty stench these days at Hillsborough. 

• Haha 2