Pair of strikers to start next season, reserve pair and pair to go

9 hours ago, Barr Grylls said:

Any fan who suggests letting Hooper go needs to seriously give their head a wobble

Don't think anyone wants to lose him but we may have to go if a good offer comes in. Hopefully not but if we are up against it financially...

Time will tell but with £20 million losses last year you'd expect a big name or two to go.

On 4/22/2018 at 18:26, arithmetic said:

Do you really think it's a good idea to drop to having 4 strikers on the books taken from our current selection, when not a single one of them has been both productive and available for 40+ games in a season, either ever or in years? We'd be seeing a lot more of the 5-5-0.

A concerning number of people can't look past the cliche of having two players for every position and no more. Can you imagine the mess we'd have been in if we only had those who began the season ranked as our top four? We'd have had an under-performing Rhodes and no one else of any experience for about 75% of the season. 

If you're regularly using two up top then five strikers is the bare minimum for a squad. Given that we have Hooper and Fletcher, who are both gaining a reputation for regular absences, you could argue six would make more sense. Obviously, the profit and sustainability rules are part of the equation Luhukay has to consider.

On 22/04/2018 at 17:52, Siggijonsson said:

Wednesday's many strikers can potentially be split into the following pairs:

1. Rhodes and Foresteriori

2. Nuihu and Joao

3. Hooper and Fletcher

4. Winnall and Hirst

If Lohukay continues with 2 strikers next season who should be the favoured front pair, who should be the reserve pair and which pairs should leave (if we can get them out).  It's ridiculous to have so many expensive strikers as reserves - especially with FFS.

it's likely pair 4 (Winnall and Hirst) will go anyway. 

The remaining decisions are really difficult. Personally I think;

pair 1 (Foresteriori and Rhodes) is the best and should be first choice next season

pair 2 (Nuihu and Joao) would be the best reserve pair

But that means getting rid of pair 3 (Fletcher and Hooper - if that's even possible) who when fit can be good in this division.

Foresteri/Rhodes

Hooper/Fletcher

Keep Joao, lose the rest

Joao and Hooper start (if fit) Fernando attacking mid

Rhodes and Fletcher on bench 

Nuhiu should leave ,as should winnall 

Nuhiu been good for 3 months, other 3 years he's been average at best

Time to move on and stop carrying players because they are nice guys

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 hours ago, welsOwl74 said:

Joao and Hooper start (if fit) Fernando attacking mid

Rhodes and Fletcher on bench 

Nuhiu should leave ,as should winnall 

Nuhiu been good for 3 months, other 3 years he's been average at best

Time to move on and stop carrying players because they are nice guys

Doubt Nuhiu will be going anywhere. Certainly hope not. Been a revelation under Jos; scoring goals too. One of our best players now .

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Our best partnership is probably Hooper & Fletcher or Nuhiu & Joao, from all the games I've watched in the last 2 years when they play together their styles compliment each best and have the best chemistry between each other.  Didn't Hooper & Fletcher go on some silly run of either one scored for like 14 games as well?!, plus recently we've seen how good Nuhiu & Joao are together when fit.

FF is obviously our best striker, but he always has to be the main man, Hooper & Rhodes rarely look above average when they play with FF, unless he's moved to a wider role (which he hates).

I hope we can find a buyer for Rhodes, Winnall clearly wants to go so he should be cheap & easy to move however Fletcher is old, on a big contract and injured so i can't see us shifting him as easily. 

Ideally i would keep FF,Hooper, Nuhiu, Joao and reluctantly Fletcher (unless we miraculously find a buyer), we have 4 solid options who can get goals, its just organising our midfield to make us a bigger threat - especially from wider areas. A player like a Snodgrass, Sessegon or Traore is that we need to come in play alongside Bannan & be our creator for the big 4!

On 22/04/2018 at 18:28, TrickyTrev said:

Hooper and Fletcher with Forestieri in the hole just behind them.

Joao and Nuhiu as reserve.

i think others have made their choices 'on paper' whilst yours looks capable of playing on grass.

there has to be height included up top to allow us an option of an ariel ball.

hooper and fletcher (hopefully fit) with forestieri just behind would look our best set up for me.

with rhodes (perhaps) loaned out to a championship side where he can hit form again, and thus either raise his sale value, OR be brought back into the fold should fletcher leave or be injured again.

hopefully joao could fit either the hooper or forestieri role when needed, nuhiu a shoe in for fletcher??? he's done a fantastic job, and i love the big guy to bits, BUT is he THE c/f to carry us to promotion?

hooper

forestieri 

fletcher

joao

and a refiring rhodes, are all players i'd like to think are capable of playing in a serious promotion push side, atty however?

anyway jos might have some target or targets in mind that suit his purpose.

11 hours ago, A12owl said:

Get rid of Fletcher if possible. 

Winnal will definately not want to stay.

Nando shouldn't be classed as a striker.

He is an attacking midfielder if anything. He is a definate keep at all costs.

Keep the others if we can afford them.

Hooper, Nuhiu, Jôao, Rhodes all offer different types of striker and give Jos the option of varying the style of play. 

With the option of U23's to fill any serious injury situations.

the side should be set up to allow ff a free role in attacking m/f, stop bannan coming too deep to pick the ball up, and concentrate on attacking sides with these 'better' players.

On 22/04/2018 at 17:52, Siggijonsson said:

Wednesday's many strikers can potentially be split into the following pairs:

1. Rhodes and Foresteriori

2. Nuihu and Joao

3. Hooper and Fletcher

4. Winnall and Hirst

If Lohukay continues with 2 strikers next season who should be the favoured front pair, who should be the reserve pair and which pairs should leave (if we can get them out).  It's ridiculous to have so many expensive strikers as reserves - especially with FFS.

it's likely pair 4 (Winnall and Hirst) will go anyway. 

The remaining decisions are really difficult. Personally I think;

pair 1 (Foresteriori and Rhodes) is the best and should be first choice next season

pair 2 (Nuihu and Joao) would be the best reserve pair

But that means getting rid of pair 3 (Fletcher and Hooper - if that's even possible) who when fit can be good in this division.

Winnall Hirst and Rhodes won't be here

you could make a case for any of them but whoever gets first dibs better make the most of it coz theres going to be strong competition ...........as for my take the best 2 that work as a pair have been fletcher and hooper and if they are fit in august they'd be my starters . 

• Like 1

I hope we don’t resort to playing a pair of strikers, apart from the odd occasion 

For me, it’s one up top, with attacking options in behind If we play with wing backs, we won’t need wingers, so we can have the creative players playing off a lone striker