Pair of strikers to start next season, reserve pair and pair to go

1 hour ago, eckington owl said:

Forestieri and Hooper should be the first names on the team sheet. 

Nuhiu and Joao as back up.

Winnall will engineer a move to Derby, Hirst is a gonner, Fletcher will be injured until his contract expires. Rhodes will be sold to balance the books. 

Hooper wonderful.

FF wonderful.

Their strike partnership record awful.

If the last handful of games have shown us anything it’s what a team we are when we play Fernando AND two strikers, not as one of the two strikers.

But to answer the OP....wow that’s tough. I think our best player is Hooper, but on 11th August it has to be Nuhiu-Joao, with Fernando wide and/or deep.  The Nuhiu-Joao partnership have earned the right to stay in place until their success falls away, or better still they stay there because their fabulous run continues next season.

I would have Hooper plus one of the above as first change. 

I would have Fletch as 4th choice,

I would absolutely Keegan love it if Rhodes impresses Jos and us over the next games and pushes all the above for a start or a sub shirt. 

Good OP. 

Long post warning:

Ridiculous to pair them up like in the OP.

The fact is, we have seven strikers on our books, and realistically, we'll need to shed two of those. 

The biggest question mark hangs over Nuhiu's head. He's gone from been a certainty to leave, to someone who we may actually struggle to convince to stay. Nuhiu won't be stopping here on a token gesture one year deal. If we want Nuhiu to stay (and imo, he absolutely HAS to), then we have to offer him what his other suitors will be willing to offer. That'll be a definitive role within the first team and, at the very least, a two year (if not three year) deal.

So, let's assume (and it's a big assumption), Nuhiu agrees a new deal, and stays. Thats ONE sorted. 

Forestieri stays. He absolutely must stay. TWO. 

Joao. Another player who has stepped up, improved hugely and have proven himself to be a key (and versatile) member of our forward line. Not only does he need to be kept on, he needs to be offered a new deal, with only a year left on his current deal. THREE. 

Hooper. His future is very much dependant on the interest in him. I just feel, that if we get a decent bid for him (and I believe he was on the verge of leaving in January before getting injured on Boxing Day), he may go. He's now 30 years old, and though there is no doubting his ability (he's one of the finest strikers in the division), he doesn't play enough games to justify our weekly outlay on him. I'm just not sure whether there'll be a host of clubs wanting to take a 30 year old striker with a long history of injury problems on £25-30k a week, queuing up to sign him. If he stays, and stays fit (huge IF), he'll be a valuable asset. FOUR. 

Fletcher. Unless a club in the US, India or somewhere exotic or far flung, I think he'll stay. Two years left on his current deal, he'll be in no rush to leave. Wherever he goes, he'll want at least a three year deal (for a 31 year old!) and the equivalent in wages (led to believe £30k/week). But, I think he'll be surplus to requirements. I can't see him playing a great deal, unless we are hit with injury issues again. FIVE...reluctantly. 

Rhodes. For me, the only way I can envisage Rhodes having a future at the club, is if two of the following happens... i.) Nuhiu turns down a new contract, and leaves; ii.) a club comes in and offers an acceptable fee for Hooper or iii.) Fletcher finds a club, and leaves on a free transfer somewhere. Otherwise, he's going to be sixth choice. And no club can justify paying their sixth choice striker £30-35k/week. And unlike Fletcher, I think Rhodes will not be content sitting and collecting his wage...he'll want to play football, and will be keen to move, if he isn't a key part of our plans going forward. LEAVE.

Winnall. He's the obvious one to move out. Unlike Hooper, Fletcher and Rhodes...Winnall will be an attractive option to a number of Championship clubs. His weekly wage is affordable for most Championship club with ambition (lead to believe £12k/week), and I think clubs would get him for £3-4m, which considering the absurd fees strikers go for, is very reasonable for a striker with a proven record in this division for two seasons now. LEAVE. 

That'll leave us in a position going into the new season with FORESTIERI, HOOPER, JOAO, NUHIU and FLETCHER for next season, with Fletcher essentially been made available if any takers come forward. So, we could essentially consider the other four as our forward options for the season. It is absolutely key however, that we don't restrict them in systems that only allow one or two of them to play at any given time (like we had under Carlos). 

In the 3-5-2 (3-4-1-2), three of them could be played with Forestieri playing in the hole, behind either of Hooper, Joao and Nuhiu. In the 3-4-3 we played yesterday, having Forestieri and Joao playing either side of a central, deep lying forward (which Hooper or Nuhiu could perform the role, but very differently). 

Then add into the equation, the likes of Matias would be a good, unpredictable back up Forestieri, Reach could be pushed further forward to play the No.10 role or the wide forward role, or Lee could play alongside Bannan in midfield and play a more traditional 5-3-2. Plenty of options, plenty of cover...but first and foremost, we MUST find a system that allows three of the four strikers mentioned above, as often as possible. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Stupidity .... hooper is a crock but I’d still keep him . Joao and adthe are our best strike force , ff somewhere behind . 

Fletcher can do one 

Before last season Hooper had never had a long term injury.

To call him a crock is ridiculous.

Edited by TrickyTrev
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Its all about finding the best partnership it’s not necessarily just about putting the best two strikers up front.

For me Hooper and FF are our two best strikers but as partnership I don’t rate it as our best.

It’s probably one of our worst .

This is hard one as not sure how JL will set the side up next term.  New players, those returning will pose some selection questions for him.

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Preslav Borukov and Fraser Preston will be knocking on door of first team next season.

I can't see it,  though given the progress they've made in the U23's I imagine it more likely they'll be loaned to a L1 or L2 club. Loan them out for first of the season, thus giving us the option to have them back if they set a lower league alight.

Better that than they get the occasional 5/10 minutes from the bench for our first team. 

We are worrying about STRIKERS and who we should cull. I would suggest that, as usual, we are putting the cart before the horse. 

Football is essentially a simple game - the whole idea is that you score more goals in a game than your opponents!

Since the beginning of March, that is appoximately the time that Jos had had chance to watch his 'mini squad' in action and for most of his important injuries to recover and be available for selection, we have SCORED 22 goals , and CONCEDED 18! I would venture to suggest that is our defence that is the concern rather than our attack.

As for that short period, our 'pairs' of strikers have included the majority of our attack with the exception of Hooper, Fletcher and Wallace. This is not their fault , but an injured player's usefulness, if unavailable, be it Messi, Ronaldo , Pele or whatever, is ZERO.   

What a fantastic post @frastheowl

Enjoyed reading that. 

And agreed with with nearly all of it. Agree 100% about the need to find a system which gets FF and two strikers in the side. Always thought this. The last few games have only strengthened my view. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What a fantastic post @frastheowl

Enjoyed reading that. 

And agreed with with nearly all of it. Agree 100% about the need to find a system which gets FF and two strikers in the side. Always thought this. The last few games have only strengthened my view. 

You can only do that if you play FF wide left in a 442 or play him in the hole behind a front two. For my money neither of those options get the best out of him. He needs to play on the left of a front three imo. 

3 hours ago, attyjake said:

Foresteriore is he a new signing?

I hope he's as good as Fessi!

lol

OMG I did not notice that the neg button had come back so that flippingnobsacks like you can start negging for making a joke about someones spelling Grow a sense of humour  W@nker!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

You can only do that if you play FF wide left in a 442 or play him in the hole behind a front two. For my money neither of those options get the best out of him. He needs to play on the left of a front three imo. 

Left of a 442 is tried, tested and a feast.

Behind in the hole is untried. Carlos said it wouldn’t work but I lost faith in everything he said, so who knows?

Yes, left of a front 3 has worked really well too.

What absolutely hasn’t worked is as a one of two twin strikers. However, despite hating the idea, it is possible that Jos might somehow make it fire. Though I strongly doubt it. 

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, james o connor said:

Stupidity .... hooper is a crock but I’d still keep him . Joao and adthe are our best strike force , ff somewhere behind . 

Fletcher can do one 

Yep.

FF just behind the strikers will be a nightmare for the opposition. Look at his second goal yesterday. 4 Reading players dragged out of position to try and stop him, opening up space for the front two. As for the two strikers I'd always start Hooper when fit and possibly Nuhiu/Joao alongside based on the past 4 months. 

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Left of a 442 is tried, tested and a feast.

Behind in the hole is untried. Carlos said it wouldn’t work but I lost faith in everything he said, so who knows?

Yes, left of a front 3 has worked really well too.

What absolutely hasn’t worked is as a one of two twin strikers. However, despite hating the idea, it is possible that Jos might somehow make it fire. Though I strongly doubt it. 

Left in a 442 is not as clear cut as it looks as especially in CC's first season we often made a subtle change to the formation as Hutchinson dropped deep to make a back three and the full backs went to being winbacks pushed high up the pitch. FF then came into his own.

I've seen him play in the hole for us or as the 'no.10' and it hasn't worked, you'd imagine he'd be ideal in that role but for some reason he isn't.

Just an observation about playing FF in the number 10 role, in the hole, regista or whatever. Whilst he will always be available to receive the ball I have 2 major doubts about his ability to play there.

First, he is not that effective receiving the ball into feet in central areas. It's congested, it's difficult to turn and he invariably gets out muscled or kicked. Coupled with his "reputation" with referees, he doesn't get half the protection he should.

Second, he is too off the cuff. If you are one of two strikers and FF is supplying your bullets, you will end up being disappointed more often than not. He still has a habit of checking out, dropping the shoulder, twist turn and finally deliver the ball. That is counter productive to strikers trying to get the jump on a centre half. Take yesterday's 3rd goal for example, when he received the ball from Nuhiu, he turns and faces up the defender. He has the opportunity to play Boyd or Nuhiu in clean on goal to his left. Simple ball no dramas.  I know he goes on a dribble, nearly loses it twice and provides a stunning finish but if he chooses that option 10 times I'd say he converts maybe 2 times. Play the simple ball and gets into the box with Joao and I reckon we convert that 5 or 6 times out of ten. Over the course of a season that mounts up.

Like some have said, I'd prefer him picking the ball up on the left, drifting in, taking the full back where he doesn't want to go. Either on the left in a 4-2-3-1 a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 if we've the right central midfield duo and full backs.

Its not a criticism of FF, he's our game changer, our grab a win out of nothing. If you want to get out of this division you need to be ruthless. Keep clocking up the chances no matter how they arrive and put them away.

Anyways, just an observation.