New contracts - Stobbs and O'Grady

If Jos sees enough from these guys to think they warrant a longer deal then I'll trust him, however a 2.5 year deal for Stobbs does surprise me. He's been in and around the first team both here and on loan for nearly three years now without ever making much impact or progress it seems to me. But good luck to the lad, hope it's the catalyst for him to kick on and reach the next level and that we're not sat here in a year's time asking why the hell Stobbs still has another 18 months left on his contract.

We all know our squad is huge and we're near the limits of FFP so it stands to reason we'll have to tighten our belts next year and most likely release the likes of Loovens, Wallace, Nuhiu and maybe even Pudil to allow Thorniley, Stobbs, Clare and Penney to progress. Should be do-able without impacting the first team too much so long as we avoid another injury armageddon. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I'm pleased but neither of them are that close to first team duty in my opinion.  O'Grady is decent but behind Thorniley and Fredrik Nielsen in the pecking order.  Not sure about Stobbs as by all accounts he was poor at Port Vale.   

Anyway the the only one I REALLY wanna re-sign is Clare!

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

If Jos sees enough from these guys to think they warrant a longer deal then I'll trust him, however a 2.5 year deal for Stobbs does surprise me. He's been in and around the first team both here and on loan for nearly three years now without ever making much impact or progress it seems to me. But good luck to the lad, hope it's the catalyst for him to kick on and reach the next level and that we're not sat here in a year's time asking why the hell Stobbs still has another 18 months left on his contract.

We all know our squad is huge and we're near the limits of FFP so it stands to reason we'll have to tighten our belts next year and most likely release the likes of Loovens, Wallace, Nuhiu and maybe even Pudil to allow Thorniley, Stobbs, Clare and Penney to progress. Should be do-able without impacting the first team too much so long as we avoid another injury armageddon. 

Stobbs surprised me too but then again he is still only 20. Because he's been on the books so long and played a league game in 2014 I tend to think he's had his window. Not necessarily so.

At the very least they are cheap training mannequins

I don't think it's a bad idea to sign up young players of sufficient quality - ie they won't be training session wreckers when with the first team

We won't get promoted with such a policy - and it's not heartening to look at Charlton to see how they fared when taking such decisions

A couple of them may break through but i can't see the fanbase thinking it's such fantastic news if we just become another space filler in the championship

I'm afraid i have a much more sceptical view of young players - imo if they haven't had significant game time and impact at a first team level by 20 then their chances are diminishing by the week

I think Jos has arrived at just the right time for Jack Stobbs.  A couple of months ago things looked bleak after a poor loan spell, contract up in the summer and not near the first team four years after his debut.  It's up to him to push on now and take advantage of Jos's interest in the younger players.  He's 21 in 10 days. Good luck to him

16 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

Stobbs is strange one for me.

He's never been anywhere near the 1st team. Only getting sniff now due to our injury crisis.

Or maybe, as they have all intimated, the fraud who was in charge before Jos wasn't a good enough manager to bring youth through. He dismissed them all and didn't give them a look in.

It's quite clear that that idiot had no intention of playing any of them.

10 hours ago, scram said:

I don't think it's a bad idea to sign up young players of sufficient quality - ie they won't be training session wreckers when with the first team

We won't get promoted with such a policy - and it's not heartening to look at Charlton to see how they fared when taking such decisions

A couple of them may break through but i can't see the fanbase thinking it's such fantastic news if we just become another space filler in the championship

I'm afraid i have a much more sceptical view of young players - imo if they haven't had significant game time and impact at a first team level by 20 then their chances are diminishing by the week

they have potential that's all .....I think though that one things for certain they'll get a chance under jos something they didn't get with carlos ..lets hope some of them make the most of it .

You mean like Ian Wright, Jamie Vardy and Troy Deeney?

I'm not exactly a glass half full person myself but give them a chance.

3 minutes ago, OneDavidHirst said:

You mean like Ian Wright, Jamie Vardy and Troy Deeney?

I'm not exactly a glass half full person myself but give them a chance.

the great don megson was here 6 years before making his debut age 23 and he wernt too bad .

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

the great don megson was here 6 years before making his debut age 23 and he wernt too bad .

Precisely.

We've had to listen to the grunters going on about their wonderful academy for years. Now we've got some talent coming through ourselves and a manager that can develop them we should be positive about it.

1 minute ago, OneDavidHirst said:

Precisely.

We've had to listen to the grunters going on about their wonderful academy for years. Now we've got some talent coming through ourselves and a manager that can develop them we should be positive about it.

I don't see that they would give thorniley and stobbs contracts of that length if they thought they were just training ground mannequins ......I don't know what they offered clare but you'd think a few more performances like the other night and they may have to offer something of a similar length to thorniley  if they already havnt . 

6 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

If these young lads make it to the first team they should get wages to match ,We sign past there best players and give them over the top wages  ,While the young players ,Because they have come through our youth system are expected to play for a lot less ,That aint right .

i'm sure if they become regulars they'll get there rewards with improved deals . be madness not to as there agents would be sounding clubs that pay them what regular championship players earn. 

Part of me has the same view. I think this may be the beginning of the cheaper tickets, less investment, selling key players strategy that Chansiri has mentioned. 

Look at Forest. It doesn't really work with too many youngsters and all that happens as soon as one or two stand out, they get poached by a bigger club which is great from a business point of view but not if your goal is promotion. I'd be wary if the current plan is for anymore than Thorniley and Clare to be joining the first team full time. I'd be more at ease if the plan was to sign a handful of youngsters up long term, let them do pre season with the first team and then loan a couple out to football league clubs for experience.

Hope Stobbs gets the chance and takes it.

Remember seeing him in preseason years ago, and he looked the part then. Two footed, picked out some nice passes. Made one fantastic cross field ball.

He also has some great assists for the U23s, when watching their highlights.

I think if it wasn't for injuries he'd have been a regular squad member under Gray.

He was also unlucky with his loan move. They were struggling and changed Managers from what I remember. 

Hopefully he's due a change of luck!