New contracts - Stobbs and O'Grady

1 minute ago, owlZfan84 said:

Stobbs is strange one for me.

He's never been anywhere near the 1st team. Only getting sniff now due to our injury crisis.

It's a little strange as he didn't really kick on from being probably our brightest prospect a few seasons ago.

Having said that, Jos has had him training with the first team and brought him on at Barnsley. He's obviously seen enough to think he warrants a new deal.

1 minute ago, owlZfan84 said:

Stobbs is strange one for me.

He's never been anywhere near the 1st team. Only getting sniff now due to our injury crisis.

Stobbs was given his first team debut by Stuart Gray, he has suffered 2 serious injuries in close succession which kept him from playing for the best part of 2 seasons, finally now he's showing what he's capable of .

Surprised to see Stobbs get 2 and a half years although happy to see them both sign up. Expect Clare next on a 3 and a half year deal. Looks like Clare, Thorniley and possibly Stobbs will be integrated into the first team squad full time now then. 

Definitely expecting a couple of big sales in the summer now. Fully expecting Nuhiu, Loovens and Wallace to be released as well.

28 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Stobbs was given his first team debut by Stuart Gray, he has suffered 2 serious injuries in close succession which kept him from playing for the best part of 2 seasons, finally now he's showing what he's capable of .

Have you seen him play since coming back from his injuries? What do you think he is capable of?  

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think this tells us investment in the first team will be significantly reduced as suggested in the survey the other week.

Don't have anything against signing young lads up, because quite frankly if we were going to invest heavily again I don't trust those in charge to spend it wisely.

With FFP coming up I don’t think we have a choice but to tighten our belt. Investing in youth is what sustainable clubs do. I just hope DC doesn’t think he can still get away charging us full whack. 

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think this tells us investment in the first team will be significantly reduced as suggested in the survey the other week.

Don't have anything against signing young lads up, because quite frankly if we were going to invest heavily again I don't trust those in charge to spend it wisely.

The thing is though, we can probably afford to reduce the investment in our first team without reducing the standard of our squad, such is the wasteful nature of much of our recent spending.

Having to spend more wisely whilst also bedding in some promising young players might not be the worst thing, especially if other talented youngsters start to view us as a club with a clear pathway of progression which would enable them to flourish at our club as well.