Any ideas what this is

5 minutes ago, Brommers said:

So, you've got the entire South stand to select a seat from, so WTF would you sit right in the bottom corner next to the Kop? :duntmatter:

They were the goal line technology trainee's.

• Haha 3

Finlux on the kits would make it '85, '86 or '87 (also a Finlux hoarding behind the goal).

Kop roof is on so must be '87, right?

Post-season judging by state of pitch. Unless we had some sort of Sunday football agreement going on at the time. As someone else said, there's a board with '-AY LEAGUE' in bottom left of picture.

Can't see any linesmen either, so probably a bit of a kickabout whatever it is. Some reyt chubsters out. lol

Edited by Mr. Tom

37 minutes ago, Woozie said:

What year did the Kop get the roof? 86?

Yeah officially opened in December '86 by 'Er Maj, so this pic must be 1987 IMO.

We had VT Plastics as sponsor from 1988 onward, but you can clearly see a Finlux board behind the goal here and I'm sure that's the Finlux-era kit with the blue banded sleeve elastic.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Guest Bulgaria
4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

9745575E-9447-4F50-9D89-D658BB3AFE6A.jpeg

Anyone able to help with some info about this one?

Its the 1983 " lets see who can wear the tightest and shortest shorts" tournament.

I think Brighton triumphed.:duntmatter:

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

Yeah officially opened in December '86 by 'Er Maj, so this pic must be 1987 IMO.

We had VT Plastics as sponsor from 1988 onward, but you can clearly see a Finlux board behind the goal here and I'm sure that's the Finlux-era kit with the blue banded sleeve elastic.

"Officially" opened in December 86, but it went on during summer 1986 and was used for games from August 86 onwards so it wasn't necessarily taken in 1987.

Here's an idea - why don't we ask Neil where he got the photo from!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mickjj said:

Doesn't look like summer as the tall trees behind the Kop don't have any leaves on. Plus the pitch looks well worn

3 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Assuming you're correct about the time of year based on leaf coverage of trees, the angle of the players' shadows indicates a relatively high sun so I think we can assume a mid afternoon kick off at the latest.

I'm impressed with the levels of arboreal and celestial detective work being applied lol

I'm also certain that the tree showing at the end of the south stand is a willow and it is in bloom. This will usually happen in March around these parts. The lack of cover on the taller trees showing under the kop roof, which look like they could be Ash, would also suggest March as they would be coming in to leaf by April.

In March it would have to be not too far either side of midday to get an angel of shadow that high.

The game looks like it is well in to the second half as the players look knackered...see the Wednesday player on the 6 yard line stood still with his hands on his hips when he should be making a run towards the near post for the cross (granted he's probably about 50 so might not have broke a trot all game though).

So I am saying that this was an 11am KO on Wednesday 18th March 1987. There is only a remote possibility that I am wrong.