Favourite away wins..

Guest Bulgaria

ones that spring to mind...

winning 3-0 at southampton in what i think was our 1st season in the old 1st division, think Chapman got one... it was the year after they stuffed us 5-0 in a fa cup replay at their place. would it be 84/85 season?

Winning 2-0 at anfield.... that Varadi goal!!

winning at stoke in a league cup game 1-0, bannister with the winner... we were a division below them... god knows what year!!

winning at coventry 1-0 in 91 to make it to the cup semis.

Think my favourite away win was v Newcastle in August 1996 when David Pleat was manager.

Wednesday expecting to struggle wrong end of season and Newcastle (forward line I think that day was Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola and Asprilla) one of favourites to win the league.

Came from behind to win 2-1 with a late Guy Whittingham goal. Remember went by myself on the ICO because most of the Wednesdayite I knew had given up on them a bit.

Was shaking with the excitement of it all walking out afterwards. Sign of age a bit but not felt like that about a game for years (even the exciting games in 2015-16)

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think my favourite away win was v Newcastle in August 1996 when David Pleat was manager.

Wednesday expecting to struggle wrong end of season and Newcastle (forward line I think that day was Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola and Asprilla) one of favourites to win the league.

Came from behind to win 2-1 with a late Guy Whittingham goal. Remember went by myself on the ICO because most of the Wednesdayite I knew had given up on them a bit.

Was shaking with the excitement of it all walking out afterwards. Sign of age a bit but not felt like that about a game for years (even the exciting games in 2015-16)

Did it take us to the top of the league?

2-0 at Chelsea LC semi 1991

4-2 at Blackburn LC 1993

1-0 at Liverpool around 1997ish (I hate Liverpool! THat's the only time I saw us win there, saw us lose loads)

4-2 at Leicester in 1990-91 promotion season

7-2 at Burnley after we'd already been relegated to L1 - surreal

2-1 at Hull James Quinn

Also remember wins at Liverpool, Man Utd etc. in the 80s but wasn't actually at those games

4 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Did it take us to the top of the league?

Yes was one of the 4 games at start of season we won.

Also beat Leeds 2-0 away which was another cracking game to be there. Was a very warm and humid night even though it chucked it down.

Can remember these games really well from over 2 decades ago but cant even remember games from earlier this season. Probably as  a young bloke games meant more to me then.

Oh God yeah, was at that WBA game - amazing scenes at the end! Also the Newcastle and Everton games mentioned above.

I'll add the 2-1 win at the sty in 2009(?), Tudgay game - but I was at Hillsborough watching the beamback, couldn't being myself to give them my money rather than us!

Just now, alanharper said:

2-0 at Chelsea LC semi 1991

4-2 at Blackburn LC 1993

1-0 at Liverpool around 1997ish (I hate Liverpool! THat's the only time I saw us win there, saw us lose loads)

4-2 at Leicester in 1990-91 promotion season

7-2 at Burnley after we'd already been relegated to L1 - surreal

2-1 at Hull James Quinn

Also remember wins at Liverpool, Man Utd etc. in the 80s but wasn't actually at those games

Was December 1996. Guy Whittingham turned in a Pembridge shot / cross.
Remember Peter Atherton getting a very good press for man marking Steve Macmanan out of the game.

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Had miles better players for us then Guy Whittingham but had really good work rate and scored some really vital goals.

Wish some of the bleeding over paid snowflakes we have at the moment had his attitude.

Whittingham is one of favourite Wednesday players ever for exactly this reason. Scored some really significant goals.

Guest Bulgaria
7 minutes ago, hirstyno9 said:

Haha, smash and grab.

I was sat with the WBA fans, they really didn't appreciate my Dad's celebrations!

I left on 88 mins as me and my mate had seen enough!!   It was the worst display we had seen for yonks!!! missed both our goals.

Edited by Bulgaria