Favourite away wins..

16 hours ago, bradowl said:

Most of my fav away days have been mentioned, couple that haven't was the 2-1 win at Man United on New Years day in early 80s and the the 2-1 win at Portsmouth which put a stop to Pompey promotion party, think it was Michael Reddy with a last minute winner, crazy scenes. 

That two one win at Old Trafford. I cant remember the match but I remember the hangover. Id been out at the Leadmill the night before.

21 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

27972251_1958837551033058_8389493119952238309_n.jpg

Who remembers this Blackburn 0-1 Wednesday at Ewood Park?

What's been some of your favourite league away days? (let's not count the obvious ones like cup finals or playoffs etc)

And are League One away days more fun than Championship ones?

I remember it. It was an awful game of football. Drove to Ewood Park straight from work. 

Favourite away day bar none was Leicester away circa 07/08 when we needed to win to stay up. Holloway managed them. When fatty Leon lobbed the keeper I ended up about 7 rows forward. 

23 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

It was bloody FREEZING that day.

This warmed us all up.

Think it was Sanchez Watt Watt Watts debut too. 

Great choice!

3 stands, in the middle of December it was indeed bloody cold!

Pruttons goal is still one of my favourites of recent times. Superb technique. 

10 hours ago, owler66 said:

It's 18 and still counting 

Yes mate I know that my post was written poorly ( apologies ) , what I meant to say was at the Cardiff game in 1984 we celebrated the end of a 14 year exile and at the time I would never have believed that Wednesday would ever be out of the top flight for that amount of time again. Sadly I was very wrong.

7 hours ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

Bristol Rovers, Twerton Park. I think Trever Francis first goal for us? The chant! "Weve got carlton palmer, he smokes marujana". I got thrown out of many pubs in Bristol for singing it that night. Had an affinity for Bristol Rovers since that day. 

Great day. This was a potential banana skin for us.....small pitch, type of game where we had come unstuck many times before (and since). However, even though it was only 1-0, we were actually quite comfortable and going to a ground like that and winning gave me an even better feeling about promotion even though it was early in the season. IIRC, Hirst was stood with us as he was out injured

Wolves 76-77 League Cup 2-1 to us.

I'd been watching Wednesday away for two seasons by then and still hadn't seen them win. We'd scored really early on when an Eric Potts cross flew into their net and then Wolves had equalised quite late. We were on the huge South Bank getting surrounded by all the Wolves fans so me and my mates decided a discrete exit about 5 minutes before the end was in order.

Roger Wylde scored the winner deep into injury time and I flipping well missed it!

Had to wait until the following April (Rotherham away on a Tuesday night) until I actually saw a winner scored as I had a Saturday job by then and could only get to the odd away match.

Other memorable performances

Man City 2-1 83/84

West Ham 3-1 90/91

also Notts County 74/75 3-3 after conceding the second fastest hat-trick of all time.

Middlesborough 0-8 73/74. My first ever proper away game (BDTBL doesn't count) and the worst I have ever seen us play. We really were lucky to get nil that day!

5 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Man City 2-1 83/84

Cracking game, and I remember the city fans having a pop at us, families and all, the lads held their ground well, and even many blokes with families had a pop back too.

Add to that Blackburn away !  MELLOR !!!   and Kevin Taylor... what a night that was,

Shreeves worked an absolute miracle digging us out of the relegation zone that season. Di Piedi's goal celebration was epic, right in front of their fans in that corner who spent the entire game just mouthing at the away supporters instead of watching what was happening on the pitch.