Wadsley Bridge Railway Station

40 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Passenger service too dude. Penistone Owls used it all the time. I first used it around '64 / 65 but no idea when the last train called there.

Sorry mate I knew it was passenger too 

Me n my pals used to bunk on it to manchester for sneaky nights out midweek don't think we ever paid a penny on that run ...........

15 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Real question is how the fizz did Dr. Beeching miss that.

Probably because it was worth a lot of money to industry mate?

Richard W Carr probably used it Clarksons Twist drill and Aitchisons definitely used it the line ran through the works ..

Campbells canning factory   were up there too 

not sure if British tissues used it ? 

Remember you always knew what colour  bog roll they were making by the colour of the Don!!!

Also remember the night they blew up Wadsley bridge to replace it ..

Everyone turned up to watch  like a bonfire night celebration .....

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, theowlsman said:

I can remember Governments that invested in infrastructure and public services, creating jobs, which led to increased spending, that kept businesses going, and resulted in larger Government incomes via increased tax collections.

Halcyon days.

Did you live abroad?

• Haha 2

On 2/9/2018 at 06:38, trevdi9 said:

Wonder if the real one of this fella ever ran from

there 

post-16047-0-49123100-1462414945_thumb.jpg

Technically it could have Trev. The line from Victoria station was the old North Eastern (LNER) line so it was the right company, however most of the B17 class ran in East Anglia. Sheffield Wednesday was built in 1936 and withdrawn from service in 1959 so over the course of it's life it may have passed through Wadsley Bridge. Sheffield Archives might have a picture of it in Sheffield somewhere, one for Kivo or Dunsby I suspect.

• Thanks 1

On 09/02/2018 at 21:25, Maxine said:

I think this is the sign from the old station. 

image.jpg

Don't think it's real. i think it's made to look like a signal box sign but the font is not typical  and I'm unsure what the box at WB said, sometimes they might say Wadsley Bridge No 4 etc since there were a lot of switches around there

Edited by pgmetcalf

29 minutes ago, dumboldowl said:

Please excuse my lack of local geography, but where exactly was the station? I've looked on Google Earth but can't see it.

Was it where that blank area is shown just off Claywheels Lane?

If you were coming into the station from the North i.e Penistone you would exit via steps which brought you out at the bottom of foxhill road where it meets the main dual carriageway of halifax road. The entrance going back was just by the side of the New Bridge Inn. The regular Sheffield Victoria to Manchester service train stopped there whenever there was a match and was popular to use with Penistone area owls.

12 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Don't think it's real. i think it's made to look like a signal box sign but the font is not typical  and I'm unsure what the box at WB said, sometimes they might say Wadsley Bridge No 4 etc since there were a lot of switches around there

Oh wait it could be

5964672367_fc309fdaca_b.jpg

There's also a track diagram and switch points on here   http://signalboxes.com/wadsley-bridge.php