Wadsley Bridge Railway Station

32 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

If you were coming into the station from the North i.e Penistone you would exit via steps which brought you out at the bottom of foxhill road where it meets the main dual carriageway of halifax road. The entrance going back was just by the side of the New Bridge Inn. The regular Sheffield Victoria to Manchester service train stopped there whenever there was a match and was popular to use with Penistone area owls.

Thanks for that MO.  I know that Owls supporters from Langwith and Shirebrook used to travel to Wadsley Bridge for games, but that was before my time, and I didn't know exactly where the station was.

12 minutes ago, dumboldowl said:

Thanks for that MO.  I know that Owls supporters from Langwith and Shirebrook used to travel to Wadsley Bridge for games, but that was before my time, and I didn't know exactly where the station was.

No probs. We are talking late 60's and possibly early 70's. Thrre were two main stations in the centre in those days, The Midland and the Victoria it depended which direction you came from. Lets say we were following Wednesday away in London. We would catch the train in Penistone which would go through Wadsley Bridge and finish at the Victoria. We would then have to walk to the Midland station to catch the train to London being seperate lines. 

37 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Yes it would. Most of the old line has now been turned into a bridle path but the tunnels still exist and you can walk through (not sure about woodhead though) as they have a lighting system.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

16 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Yes it would. Most of the old line has now been turned into a bridle path but the tunnels still exist and you can walk through (not sure about woodhead though) as they have a lighting system.

Not necessarily. And I think probably not.

The article refers to Woodhead tunnel, which was reached from Penistone. The Woodhead platforms are still visible at Penistone.

Penistone was reached from Sheffield via two routes: the existing Sheffield/Meadowhall/Barnsley route, or the Victoria/Wadsley Bridge/Deepcar route. The Deepcar to Penistone line has been removed, and Stocksbridge by pass is a major obstacle to getting it back.

As there are few trains using the Meadowhall/Barnsley line, and even fewer Barnsley/Penistone, I think they would use the existing route to Penistone for anything onward to Manchester.

It is interesting that Network Rail are looking to private investment to fund major projects.

Without this option there is a zero chance of Woodhead opening again.

26 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Not necessarily. And I think probably not.

The article refers to Woodhead tunnel, which was reached from Penistone. The Woodhead platforms are still visible at Penistone.

Penistone was reached from Sheffield via two routes: the existing Sheffield/Meadowhall/Barnsley route, or the Victoria/Wadsley Bridge/Deepcar route. The Deepcar to Penistone line has been removed, and Stocksbridge by pass is a major obstacle to getting it back.

As there are few trains using the Meadowhall/Barnsley line, and even fewer Barnsley/Penistone, I think they would use the existing route to Penistone for anything onward to Manchester.

Forget about the by pass. However I think the bypass is higher than the old line so a further bridge or tunnel wouldn't be out of the question. Going via Barnsley is a hell of a long way further round even though it currently has a line.

Imagine what a huge asset this would be for the club and fans if the line could be reopened all the way through. Linking Hillsborough to the Railway network from a number of key areas.

I’ve long thought the club should put its weight behind this.

Edited by slow83
Predictive text
  • Like 1

It's time south Yorkshire PTE reopened the line from Deepcar to Sheffield

The line is fit for heavy freight at present and can get you from Deepcar to Sheffield in around 20 mins max.all Stations at Deepcar, outibridge, Wadsley Bridge are intact. 

Sadly in South Yorkshire there's never been any interest in the railways only buses 

7 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

The line is fit for heavy freight at present and can get you from Deepcar to Sheffield in around 20 mins max.all Stations at Deepcar, outibridge, Wadsley Bridge are intact. 

Sadly in South Yorkshire there's never been any interest in the railways only buses 

Well you cant say the same on here. six pages on wadsley bridge station. Blimey.

1 hour ago, Mrmason69 said:

13 minutes each way for a half hourly service with no intermediate stops.

It seems SYPTE and Sheffield/Stocksbridge council are supportive. As it's a railway, it needs government approval (and funding).

http://donvalleyrailway.org/faqs/

Website is a bit dated mind.

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, Mrmason69 said:

I agree

If we could make it a tram train it could link to the current tram network. 2 per hour direct from Stocksbridge to Sheffield (13 mins) and the rest at all stops. A park and ride along the way would be good (probably Oughtibridge)

The current line could lie to the tram network at either:

A - Where Derek Dooley Way meets the Parkway

Stops:

Stocksbridge Rugby Club, Stockbridge Fox Valley, Deepcar, Oughtibridge (Park & Ride), Wadsley Bridge, Kelham Island, Wicker/ Victoria Station, Midland Station

B - Around Rutland road to meet the tracks o Infirmary Road

Stops:

Stocksbridge Rugby Club, Stockbridge Fox Valley, Deepcar, Oughtibridge (Park & Ride), Wadsley Bridge, Shalesmoor

It could even loop around through stocksbrdge the back down through Oughitibridge to meet the Middlewood line but this would cost way more.

Edited by Grez Bez

On February 9, 2018 at 16:15, torryowl said:

we did play sunderland one Christmas and lost 2-0 and the following week we were back up there in the 3rd round of the cup and lost 3-0 so you could be right ....I went on sutty for those games .

Me to but on an SUT coach. I loved  Roker Park another stadium with character. Though not so enthusiastic about the supporters as at the first game went on their end by mistake. Real brown trousers day lol

9 minutes ago, Mickjj said:

Me to but on an SUT coach. I loved  Roker Park another stadium with character. Though not so enthusiastic about the supporters as at the first game went on their end by mistake. Real brown trousers day lol

If its the cup game you refer to where we lost 3-0 there were around 500 of us trying to get on there (Fulwell end) but only around 100 managed to get through the turnstiles before the cops arrived. They chased the rest of us off with horses leaving the 100 to get a bit of a battering inside.