Wadsley Bridge Railway Station

We once played West Ham on a Friday night i hitched a lift back to London where I lived on their special from Wadsley Bridge station.

Soon as we departed , got a hail of bricks from Owls lying in wait near Niagara.

Went on for ages and even Hammers got hammered and bricked it.

Interestingly, now plans to re-open so we may get specials again bringing Owls from Retford, Worksop etc like in very old days (our specials to London used to collect Wednesday fans from these towns, too).

Edited by fred mciver

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Probably! 

Prem seems a long long way away after a car crash of a season! 

I just want us to stay up and delete this season from the memory. It’s been a shocker!

Good job it wasn’t a ‘train crash of a season’ or it would never re open.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

We once played West Ham on a Friday night i hitched a lift back to London where I lived on their special from Wadsley Bridge station.

Soon as we departed , got a hail of bricks from Owls lying in wait near Niagara.

Went on for ages and even Hammers got hammered and bricked it.

Interestingly, now plans to re-open so we may get specials again bringing Owls from Retford, Worksop etc like in very old days (our specials to London used to collect Wednesday fans from these towns, too).

i didnt realise we had the Olympic shot put team amongst our hooligans. Its a reyt throw from the Niagara to Wadlsey Bridge station. But many a team used it for football specials in the past and not just for semi-finals. While they are at it they should put on the old football special buses from town.

• Haha 1

seen football trains there many times when I was younger, think mid 1990s was last one. ive been on a few football trains myself in 1985 Ipswich away , arsenal 1985 probably a few more (remember in 1985 we all had our pic took for best supporters in the country) maybe that's why we travelled in style as a reward. 

12 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

i didnt realise we had the Olympic shot put team amongst our hooligans. Its a reyt throw from the Niagara to Wadlsey Bridge station. But many a team used it for football specials in the past and not just for semi-finals. While they are at it they should put on the old football special buses from town.

I bet anyone walking along Claywheels lane were " bricking it"

WTF:                               lol        

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

Lived at Wadsley Bridge, well Southey Green Road and Meynell and walk to and from the matches under the bridge, quite often with the lads of the area so the Quixalls and such. The station closed to traffic in 1959 but still used for football and bus strikes when I was a kid. Still think it would be a viable commuter route to Manchester and Huddersfield. Tried to go past the weigh bridge and the brewery a few weeks back and it’s all overgrown 

WTF:

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Got ya

For some mad reason I thought it just went to the old Victoria railway station where the hotel is now

lol

It did

Used to live nearby and walk past the station going to/from the match and it could be "interesting" depending on who we were playing.

p.s. I am NOT a train spotter

• Haha 2

Was a common occurrence. Most teams upto the mid 80's brought a train. All the pubs would have the windows boarded up en route and it was a common sight to see the police marching the away fans down to the ground.

We were always in the bus from High Green / Chap and the traffic would come to a standstill. We would be upstairs on the bus doing some proper pointing and shouting but secretly just wanting the bus to keep going down Penistone Road

Post match we would get the bus and many a time the traffic heading north would grind to a standstill for ages has they marched em back. With the noise of the police sirens I suspect it was kicking off 

Many a time I would get the bus from Hillsborough Park and still be going past the Kop an hour later.

Big games like Newcastle they would double park coaches all way up to Wadsley Bridge club. I think one Sunday game it took 2.5 hours to get home - been quicker to walk although as it was uphill all the way probably not.