Joey D How did he play?

7 hours ago, a_weishaupt said:

After last night I hope he will become someone who looks to dictate the play.   He probably doesn't have to adapt as much as players in other positions would - hopefully.

A triangle with two central defenders sat behind him who can play the ball and him could be quite a game changing trio, and that would be exciting to watch ultimately.    I believe he's been signed so we don't need to have three in the heart of defence.

Could be a solid shout that. Think he will turn out to be a decent player for us to be fair, just needs time to bed in.

Not sure he works as part of a central midfield 3 in the 3-5-2 that we have going on at the moment. Then again, maybe Jos is gearing us up to play the 2 defensive midfielders style he played back in germany when all players are fit. Joey and Hutch protecting the defence with attacking midfielders in front of them supporting the striker? Only one that knows right now though is Jos.

I Dont know if we will be all that pretty to watch under Jos, but I do think he will make us very tough to play against. 

13 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Don't often neg but wow, was that really your opinion?

He was fine and by no means one of our worst players yesterday. 

Yes. Genuinely thought he was garbage. 

Many under hit balls back to Dawson, which put him under a fair amount of  pressure to save Joey’s blushes. 

I’m not one to single a player out after his first game, but the question was asked, and I’m giving you how I saw it. 

Good energy, but made a few sloppy mistakes. Needs to play more matches to get up to speed with the pace of the Championship game IMO. Didn't help that Loovens, who is becoming an increasing liability, sold him short and he picked up a yellow card in possibly preventing Reading from scoring. 

18 minutes ago, Pompeyowl said:

Many under hit balls back to Dawson, which put him under a fair amount of  pressure to save Joey’s blushes. 

I’m not one to single a player out after his first game, but the question was asked, and I’m giving you how I saw it. 

Bloke takes a yellow card 5 minutes into his debut to save a goal. Was busy and put a foot in (see 5 mins 10 in the extended highlights for an example of his sort of work) and I reckon he gave the ball away maybe 5 times in the 90 minutes, which would give him really good possession retention compared to everyone else on the pitch... and he was garbage? Good grief. 

Seriously, watch the game back and count how many times he gave the ball away. In reality it'll be very few, it was only because he when he gave the ball away the opposition got a chance it was highlighted. Which he shouldn't do but come on... it was his first time on a football pitch in England, he's known his teammates for 7 days and he's used to a slower tempo... but because he gave the ball away a couple of times he's "garbage"? He's "garbage" because a foreign footballer who has only just got to know teammate's names wasn't quite on the same wavelength as the rest of his squad? Talk about an overreaction 

...FFS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Bloke takes a yellow card 5 minutes into his debut to save a goal. Was busy and put a foot in (see 5 mins 10 in the extended highlights for an example of his sort of work) and I reckon he gave the ball away maybe 5 times in the 90 minutes, which would give him really good possession retention compared to everyone else on the pitch... and he was garbage? Good grief. 

Seriously, watch the game back and count how many times he gave the ball away. In reality it'll be very few, it was only because he when he gave the ball away the opposition got a chance it was highlighted. Which he shouldn't do but come on... it was his first time on a football pitch in England, he's known his teammates for 7 days and he's used to a slower tempo... but because he gave the ball away a couple of times he's "garbage"? He's "garbage" because a foreign footballer who has only just got to know teammate's names wasn't quite on the same wavelength as the rest of his squad? Talk about an overreaction 

...FFS

I’ve never once stated that HE’S garbage. 

The question was about his performance. So I’ve commented on his performance. 

My first comment I stated that he will surely get better. In all honesty I have never seen him before, so Friday was the only impression that I have of him. 

I certainly won’t be making my mind up of him after only one game, however I really don’t think it was a strong performance at all. 

Honestly can’t believe some of our fans. 

Young lad on his debut in a foreign country. Considering he was booked very early on, not really his fault, I though he did great. 

Was in Readings faces, constantly harassing to the point I was worried about him collecting another yellow. 

Breath of fresh air after the usual “stand of and let them have the ball” approach we have had all season. 

Also looked really enthusiastic, thought he’d won the cup celebrating our second goal. 

Sometimes I think our fans want players to fail. 

2 hours ago, Pompeyowl said:

As you say it’s one game. Ronnie Wallwork was like a pre Ya Ya Toure Ya Ya Toure on his debut. Fingers crossed he turns out OK. 

Not disimilar to Fred and Joost's debuts. Its a massive step up to what he's used. Yes he will need to get used to the new pace and being hit as soon as ball comes to him. I don't know what fans expect first time out but I thought he did ok. Only time will tell if he can adjust properly. Fred now seems to be doing a lot better so why can't Joey?

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

As you say it’s one game. Ronnie Wallwork was like a pre Ya Ya Toure Ya Ya Toure on his debut. Fingers crossed he turns out OK. 

Exactly my point. I certainly won’t be strolling around giving a view on the lad off the back of one game. It’ll take a while before we can get a decent indication on how he’s going to be. 

22 hours ago, Blatter said:

Struggled with the pace of the game, lost possession with a few sloppy passess and got booked trying to cover Loovens early on.

Grew into game but clearly afraid of a second yellow.

Needs to settle and adjust to English game...time will tell.

You're right but I reckon he showed enough for us to be confident he'll do well as he gets used to the pace of game.