The lad has clearly got something.  The season before we signed him Ronaldo was the only Portuguese player who had scored more top flight goals.  Also that strike against Leeds.  The club picked him up for under £3m and whilst every time you buy a player from abroad there is a risk this seemed like a very sensible investment.

His main problem was there was no space for him in a 4-4-2, if we move away from this he can still contribute I'm confident.

57 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Only change for me is Hunt instead of Palmer. Our Liam is a bit crap to be honest!

Ordinarily I'd probably agree but having seen Hunt on Tuesday  night I don't think I'd chuck him back in yet. Looked very rusty and off the pace for me. Palmer is perfectly capable in that position, I'm not sure why he gets the level if stick he does tbh.

As for Matias, looked nice and lively, always on the shoulder of the last defender looking to get work the channels and get in behind. I think may be that was the problem CC had with him. He didn't want us to go for the early  ball in behind, rather compress  the play and work opening with tight passing. 

From what weve seen so far it looks like Jos fits thd system to the available players and places more value on pace and stretching the game so I think we may well get to see a fair bit more of Matias and Joao for the rest of the season. 

On 17/01/2018 at 10:40, TodwickOwl said:

His spinning off and running off the ball work was good last night - its a shame none of our midfielders could pick out the passes.  He kept dropping deep and then running in behind -

Exactly this.

It's about getting the blend right up front. 

We've missed someone to get in behind for some time. 

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

His main problem was there was no space for him in a 4-4-2, if we move away from this he can still contribute I'm confident.

Spot on. 

Became quite clear (even when not injured) that they didn't think he had the defensive capabilities to play a midfield role in a modern 4-4-2. 

With that restrictive system seemingly binned now, Matias could become like a new signing. 

Once again showing Carlos utter ineptness. How he can buy him then not know how to use him is ludicrous. Do feel for the lad hes had a wretched 2 years here.

Think he played left of a 3 in Portugal (Joao middle in same team) so we'd be wise to use him there or up front in a 2.

Edited by swfc-dan

On 1/17/2018 at 09:07, wilyfox said:

With FF out for a coupla months+ Matias' attributes very welcome. Doesn't fight and scrap in the same way...

I'm not sure that FF's bullying of poor Sammy was a good thing.

Edited by George

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, George said:

Well with Winnall still at Derby...

Chances of Winnall wanting to walk away from Derby are pretty slim right now, I'd have thought. 

2 hours ago, Dunkstar said:

Ordinarily I'd probably agree but having seen Hunt on Tuesday  night I don't think I'd chuck him back in yet. Looked very rusty and off the pace for me. Palmer is perfectly capable in that position, I'm not sure why he gets the level if stick he does tbh.

Because with all the time in the world, he can't cross or finish...

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:29, GEE said:

think he will start with Rhodes and bring Matias on in second half, might cause more of a problem when Cardiff defenders are a little tired

Or start with Marco and go three goals up and bring on Jordan to see the game out ???  Possibly ? Probarbably ? Maybe ?:rolleyes:

We have all mostly been viewing him as a winger thanks to Carlos.

Most of the time we saw him as a replacement starter for Ross Wallace when really he is a striker/wide forward.

Hope Abdi gets fit and can get in the side somehow.

Matias and Joao have new limitless futures with us all being well.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Palmer is much more confident on the ball than Hunt has better distribution and is more suited to the 3-5-2 system . 

My hunch is Jos will prefer Palmer .

Liam is very poor at crossing.  He gives his all but in my opinion he isn't good enough. In the summer it's s new right back for me and Hunt as back up.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Compared to Hunt he is like waddle 

Totally disagree but whatever.  I think Palmer is really poor but I hope I'm wrong.  Maybe the wing back position will suit him.