Marcelo Bielsa should be our man.

I would prefer a British manager but this chap is certainly worth a look. Think if we do go down this route he should be paired with a younger English manager. If Guardiola, Pochetino learned from him I dare say somebody like Paul Hurst would not mind acting as assistant to a chap like this. Another bonus is we may get a few good loan signings from managers he has previously helped.

I remember seeing Bilbao with this chap in charge he likes highly mobile players and played midfielders at centre half. The comment about our squad not fitting with his tactics is 100% correct. Would need lots of new recruits.

19 minutes ago, Walt said:

I remember watching them one night and was amazed at how they played. I made sure I saw their next game to see if it was a one off - it wasn't, they seemed to have more players than the opposition, they were buzzing around all over the place but in a structured way, so much pace and technique. 

He has x amount of 'triggers' that tell the team when to press, ie bouncing ball to the full back or central midfielder. One player in the midfield keeps an eye on his team mates positions and calls the trigger by immediately pressing the ball receiver, but he'll only do so if his teammates ate in position and ready to press. It's pretty complicated stuff when you consider all this happens very quickly in the course of a game. There's a lot of personal responsibility on individuals to be the piece of the puzzle.

I can't claim to understand all things Bielsa but I think if everyone was fit and in reasonable form we'd line up something like this....

Wildsmith

Hutchinson  Van Aken     Pudil

Palmer             Lee           Reach

Abdi

Joao         Hooper     Forestieri

Possibly Bannan for Abdi because of his pressing, but he'd have to up his goals and assists considerably.  Bielsa sometimes uses a converted striker in the regista role so Hooper could conceivably play there too with Joao in the middle and Matias and Forestieri either side. The two either side of Lee are expected to be mobile and full of running.

1 hour ago, Quist said:

I would prefer a British manager but this chap is certainly worth a look. Think if we do go down this route he should be paired with a younger English manager. If Guardiola, Pochetino learned from him I dare say somebody like Paul Hurst would not mind acting as assistant to a chap like this. Another bonus is we may get a few good loan signings from managers he has previously helped.

I must say didn't really know too much about this chap until Snoots did a feature on him a while back when we were all fed up !!

I've since had a look at him and think we might struggle to his pace levels ...

But hey we don't really know this.

I think we may have forgotten how good our squad is ?

He could do with a young British cultured assistant to translate and  learn whilst... well assisting?

Our very own Bobby Robson /Mourinho

Duet ....

May I also add Excellent post O/p and interesting read of replies and comments gentlemen ...

3 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Recently sacked by Lille, he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Personally love the fella, has Guardiola, Pochettino, Sampaoli amongst his "disciples". The complete antithesis of CC really. His signature formation is 3-3-3-1 or 3-3-1-3, although there's been a recent morph to 4-2-3-1, likes playing a ball playing centre half with two ball winning centre halves (sometimes midfielders or full backs because they are more comfortable with the ball). Plays a central playmaker either as the '1' or central player of the bank of 3. High pressing game is paramount and expects his players to know about a dozen triggers to begin pressing. It's a sight to behold when it works and the players buy into it. I think the Chilean national team best showed how to do it.

Plenty to read about him. Not sure he'd be the right fit for this squad but it'd be one hell of a ride and I guarantee you wouldn't be bored!

I’m in