Feel sorry for Joao

2 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

He was a non-trier on Friday, just going through the motions. Sooner he's out of the club the better.

Don’t agree, three times he tracked his man back into the corner and won the ball Not much going forward, granted, but no worse than Rhodes, who cost a heck of a lot more

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Don’t agree, three times he tracked his man back into the corner and won the ball Not much going forward, granted, but no worse than Rhodes, who cost a heck of a lot more

The pertinent phrase in your post is "Not much going forward"...he was probably the youngest and freshest player on the pitch but he didn't put himself about, his heart wasn't in it. If he hadn't bothered tracking back as well you would probably have seen the sub substituted.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

With the right development, Joao could be a very good player. He has all the attributes needed in the modern game.  His drive, mental state worries me - I think  this is his main downfall. He will need to sort this out if he is to become a top player.

I think most people on here are comfortable ridiculing Joao - hes an easy target. This may be controversial - I would rather see Joao in the team, rather than Rhodes. He does absolutely nothing for the team, bar falling over, kicking the ball out of play. We are lacking some pace and unpredictability up top.

9 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

With the right development, Joao could be a very good player. He has all the attributes needed in the modern game.  His drive, mental state worries me - I think  this is his main downfall. He will need to sort this out if he is to become a top player.

I think most people on here are comfortable ridiculing Joao - hes an easy target. This may be controversial - I would rather see Joao in the team, rather than Rhodes. He does absolutely nothing for the team, bar falling over, kicking the ball out of play. We are lacking some pace and unpredictability up top.

I agree with all of that, even the controversial bit

Carlos has absolutely ruined Joao, he had so much potential when he arrived, strong, quick and direct. Gradually all that potential has been diminished by not being involved in the team.

We lack pace and yet don't play this guy. For me he would be much more effective leading the line compared to Rhodes.

Carlos Out!

4 hours ago, Tyto Alba said:

He's never been good enough.  At first fans regarded him as a prospect for the future ignoring the fact that he was already about 21. He simply isn't good enough and never has been.   Can somebody explain why he wasn't shipped out at the end of last season?

Refer to the rest of your post for the answer

Guest wilyfox

You know a manager has lost the plot when he starts fielding players in bizarre roles. He's over-thinking and over-complicating what is essentially a simple game. 

We’ve stalled his career that’s for sure.

He’s young and has potential. None of the other strikers have this. 

We we had a chance to grow his ability and turn him into a real asset/player. Instead we’ve gone with experience - it’s a shame we’ve not developed him.

On 15/12/2017 at 23:40, RUMBELOWS91 said:

This won't be popular, but giving him 25 minutes pretty much as a winger is destroying him.

He needs to play down the middle, close to the other striker or not at all.

Why push Reach central and Joao out wide? Why not leave Reach out wide and bring Abdi on for Wallace? Baffling.

9 months on and I'm worried Jos is making the same mistake with Joao.

I think we need to go 4-4-2 and keep Joao central when FF is back...

Dawson

Palmer   Lees    Thorniley  Penney

Reach     Bannan  Pulepessy  FF

Joao     Fletcher

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

9 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Dawson

Joao     Fletcher

Drop Joey and you probably have our best line up 

On 15/09/2018 at 18:18, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Dawson

Joao     Fletcher

Still our best bet this team.if we're to continue with the ridiculous policy of excluding players from the team.

Onomah was.my preferred choice next to Bannan but he proved today he is too niaive to be relied upon.

Joao MUST play and he MUST play down the middle. Yes, he's inconsistent, but he is the most likely to make something happen and actually SCORE GOALS.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

5 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Still our best bet this team.if we're to continue with the ridiculous policy of excluding players from the team.

Onomah was.my preferred choice next to Bannan but he proved today he is too niaive to be relied upon.

Joao MUST play and he MUST play down the middle. Yes, he's inconsistent, but he is the most likely to make something happen and actually SCORE GOALS.

We play a 4-4-2 with that midfield and the blunts will have a field day, 

That midfield would get overrun and battered, bannan and reach are good going forwards but defencivly pants. 

As we all know Nando strops, sulks and hates playing as a orthodox left mid and unlike when he's up front where he harries, hustles and presses defenders he Dosent do the defencive stuff leaving the fullback exposed. 

As for Joey he'll be like a mixture of King canute and a dog chasing its tail trying to almost single handedly hold back the tide, where he just Dosent have the awereness to do. 

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

We play a 4-4-2 with that midfield and the blunts will have a field day, 

That midfield would get overrun and battered, bannan and reach are good going forwards but defencivly pants. 

As we all know Nando strops, sulks and hates playing as a orthodox left mid and unlike when he's up front where he harries, hustles and presses defenders he Dosent do the defencive stuff leaving the fullback exposed. 

As for Joey he'll be like a mixture of King canute and a dog chasing its tail trying to almost single handedly hold back the tide, where he just Dosent have the awereness to do. 

But apart from that it's a decent team and formation.