Dom Howson is starting to say it how it really is

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

An opinion that is honest and truthful

Lets not forget that Dom Howsom has attended all of our games this season and probably sees other things that he feels shouldn't be published when around the training ground.

i'm sure you think your opinion is honest and truthful dosnt mean to say I have to agree with it ........if someone who goes to every game came on praising carlos for his astute tactics he'd get shot down big time . ...everyone perceives things differently and if it's a crime to question someones opinion then it wouldn't be much of a forum .

This is a typical response by all football supporters. If a local Journo dares say anything other than heap praise on their team, players or manager, they turn on him/her. Same as family I suppose, we can say what we like but woe betide if anyone else joins in . lol

Truth is he is just about spot on. 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

large majority of fans maybe but the not the supporters who go to games ....I've heard no carlos out chants .I've not heard any mass booing of the team . we all know thing's arnt what we'd like them to be but as howson said we've been on the wrong end of some terrible decisions and if we hadn't then threads like these wouldn't appear as we'd be in the top 6 .but we didn't get em and coupled with the style we play then it makes carlos fair game to cop some from the" experts".on the local rag 

At least Dom Howson knows how and when to punctuate his articles. 

lol 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree that Don Howson is just another bloke with an opinion.

But normally local media are normally quite tame with criticism of clubs as they need cooperation for many of there articles.
Wouldn't have wrote the piece lightly knowing it potentially would make his job harder dealing with the club.

I suppose I would back Don Howson though as I agree with every word.

That's the point. Folks on here, including me, can comment without retribution - for journalists, they're biting the hand that feeds them. They need a good relationship with the club and coach so they can pick up any snippets of news. Anything that may jeopardise that relationship has to be considered carefully. He must have thought it safe to risk it - read into that what you will - or does he just care about the club.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't think they would.

Do you think Carlos deserves praise for his astute tactics?

your leading me here but i'll go along with it .......I thought last season they were very astute (not good to watch) ,the preference for keeping it tight worked as 4th place shows . this season it's not because we seem incapable of not giving stupid goals away . van aken has been culpable for more goals than the entire centre backs gave away all season last year  and he's far from the only one .when you cant keep a clean sheet down to individual errors then no matter what tactics you use your gonna struggle to win games ...chuck in that arguably the 2 best players have hardly kicked a ball and dare I say not getting the breaks from the refs  I can see why we are where we are . 

1 minute ago, doubleo said:

That's the point. Folks on here, including me, can comment without retribution - for journalists, they're biting the hand that feeds them. They need a good relationship with the club and coach so they can pick up any snippets of news. Anything that may jeopardise that relationship has to be considered carefully. He must have thought it safe to risk it - read into that what you will - or does he just care about the club.

He has shown some balls in his article by telling it as it is. Compare that to Alan Biggs who just sits on the fence and is reluctant to write anything slightly controversial.

Just now, torryowl said:

your leading me here but i'll go along with it .......I thought last season they were very astute (not good to watch) ,the preference for keeping it tight worked as 4th place shows . this season it's not because we seem incapable of not giving stupid goals away . van aken has been culpable for more goals than the entire centre backs gave away all season last year  and he's far from the only one .when you cant keep a clean sheet down to individual errors then no matter what tactics you use your gonna struggle to win games ...chuck in that arguably the 2 best players have hardly kicked a ball and dare I say not getting the breaks from the refs  I can see why we are where we are . 

Let's hope that Carlos' tactics can get us improved form and into the playoffs.

We need a break from the refereeing decisions but we also need shots on goal which we're not having for some reason. Many put that down to the tactics employed by the head coach.

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I've read Shakespeare at school .......so no ......I've never read any Barbara Cartland so if you'd have named her then the answer would be yes she's made no mark on my life . 

Bet your missus has read a few volumes though eh Torrey ?

Sorry if I've spoiled any meals or drinks here thought I'd let the younger viewers see our Barbara in the pink.

You wouldn't would you?:ph34r:

(Steveger banned from replying to this post mods please)lol

b63d67c81567464a41604ea6d2dd8ee6.jpg

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Yes I remember Paul Thompson when he was the Wednesday reporter for the Star for years. Was ok at reporting the games but very bland with anything other then that, always took the club line in articles.

9 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

At least Dom Howson knows how and when to punctuate his articles. 

lol 

he would do he's a journalist but I bet he wouldn't know how to cut someone free with there car wrapped round them .......sorry I didn't realise I had to have English a level to post on here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

large majority of fans maybe but the not the supporters who go to games ....I've heard no carlos out chants .I've not heard any mass booing of the team . we all know thing's arnt what we'd like them to be but as howson said we've been on the wrong end of some terrible decisions and if we hadn't then threads like these wouldn't appear as we'd be in the top 6 .but we didn't get em and coupled with the style we play then it makes carlos fair game to cop some from the" experts".on the local rag 

Where does he mention mass booing or chants of Carlos out?

The closest he comes is,

"The natives are getting increasingly restless at Hillsborough"

And he's got a point.

I hope we never hear Hillsborough as a toxic cauldron of anger again; that happened in the past because things were left to get so bad because we didn't have a pot to p**s in. I hope Carlos' tenure is never allowed to spiral to those depths, for everyone's sake.

Contrary to popular opinion I think we have in general a very patient fanbase. People aren't widely calling for the managers head because we have seen things much worse, but also because despite the frustrations and at times anger, I think people have always wanted him to succeed; sadly that support diminishes with every poor performance.

Howson is only saying what I believe the vast majority of the support feel; that we have been inconsistent this season, that we should be doing better, that our negative, fearful tactics are not working and that we are already in the last chance saloon re promotion. 

I don't see how any of those observations can offend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Bet your missus has read a few volumes though eh Torrey ?

Sorry if I've spoiled any meals or drinks here thought I'd let the younger viewers see our Barbara in the pink.

You wouldn't would you?:ph34r:

(Steveger banned from replying to this post mods please)lol

b63d67c81567464a41604ea6d2dd8ee6.jpg

Good job you didn't post that yesterday mate being as it was his birthday. lol

• Haha 3

He’s right. 

Tbh I don’t see how he could write anything different. If he was releasing articles saying everything is great then his journalistic “credibility” goes out the window. 

We have been absolute w@nk this season, end of story. Well short of the standards set in the previous two seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Where does he mention mass booing or chants of Carlos out?

The closest he comes is,

"The natives are getting increasingly restless at Hillsborough"

And he's got a point.

I hope we never hear Hillsborough as a toxic cauldron of anger again; that happened in the past because things were left to get so bad because we didn't have a pot to p**s in. I hope Carlos' tenure is never allowed to spiral to those depths, for everyone's sake.

Contrary to popular opinion I think we have in general a very patient fanbase. People aren't widely calling for the managers head because we have seen things much worse, but also because despite the frustrations and at times anger, I think people have always wanted him to succeed; sadly that support diminishes with every poor performance.

Howson is only saying what I believe the vast majority of the support feel; that we have been inconsistent this season, that we should be doing better, that our negative, fearful tactics are not working and that we are already in the last chance saloon re promotion. 

I don't see how any of those observations can offend.

i'm not offended ...I just don't agree with him or any of the  others that want carlos sacked . when I think he deserves the bullet i'll be shouting just as loudly as some are now but until then i'll continue to back him .

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

i'm not offended ...I just don't agree with him or any of the  others that want carlos sacked . when I think he deserves the bullet i'll be shouting just as loudly as some are now but until then i'll continue to back him .

Don't agree with you Torrey but I always respect your views( all those negs ?come on lads FFS!!)  To be honest  I am waiting eagerly for your  "Carlos Out post " .....

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Where does he say he wants him sacked?

I don't want him sacked, I just want him to pull his fricking head out of his arse!! 

• Like 1