Glen Hoddle And His Wisdom.....

30 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Hoddle is as mad as a box of frogs, believes in re-incarnation, karma and  all that schizzle. Next he will be telling us that Cluelost is going to get Wednesday promoted.

Whereas our chairman getting the pitch blessed by a monk was completely rational in comparison. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

What I meant was that is quite obvious, it's not a revolutionary point is it?

Exactly. It is blindingly obvious. It was when Robson said too.

Just highlighting that the same comments made by different people can be read differently. 

Robson says it and we revere the wise words of a footballing man talking good old fashioned common sense.

Hoddle says it and it's a different take 

(Not digging at you here btw)

Just comenting that Hoddle has become a figure of fun and ridicule really.  But I do think he still has something to offer on the training ground.

38 minutes ago, Freshfish said:

Jeeesus foookin' chriiiiist...

Gary Neville on Glenn..

"He also believed in alternative methods, including Eileen Drewery, the faith healer, who'd visited the camp a few times before the World Cup. As a bit of a sceptic, I'd never gone to see her. When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure.

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor. Before the game, Glenn did his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart. We'll never know if the methods had any positive effect.

"One of the masseurs told me Glenn had asked the staff to walk around the pitch anti-clockwise during the game against Argentina to create positive energy. Sadly, it didn't do us much good."

Being spiritual myself, that makes perfect sense.

Oh crraaap! Positive energy...run for the hills.

This forum could do with a sprinkle at times. 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Exactly. It is blindingly obvious. It was when Robson said too.

Just highlighting that the same comments made by different people can be read differently. 

Robson says it and we revere the wise words of a footballing man talking good old fashioned common sense.

Hoddle says it and it's a different take 

(Not digging at you here btw)

Just comenting that Hoddle has become a figure of fun and ridicule really.  But I do think he still has something to offer on the training ground.

To be honest I don't like him because I find him to be one of those pundits that because he was a top player (and he was a great player no doubt) he doesn't understand the idea of not being able to do the things he did when playing. He seems to watch different games to everyone else when commentating. I remember watching England against Russia at Euro 2016 and he made out England were amazing when in actual fact we were average against a very poor Russia side.

5 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

To be honest I don't like him because I find him to be one of those pundits that because he was a top player (and he was a great player no doubt) he doesn't understand the idea of not being able to do the things he did when playing. He seems to watch different games to everyone else when commentating. I remember watching England against Russia at Euro 2016 and he made out England were amazing when in actual fact we were average against a very poor Russia side.

To be honest the co commentating is a funny gig . I find myself muting a lot of them. Even ones i dont mind generally. 

I know I'll stand alone...but I once had a chat with Andy Townsend and he talked very well and with a lot of sense about the game!

But give him a pair of cans and a microphone and it's verbal diarrhoea.

I once recall listening to Pleat pass on his wisdom when he announced during a champions league game that if we 'watch carefully we'll notice that Ryan Giggs mainly uses his left foot' ! 

Remarkable insight. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be honest the co commentating is a funny gig . I find myself muting a lot of them. Even ones i dont mind generally. 

I know I'll stand alone...but I once had a chat with Andy Townsend and he talked very well and with a lot of sense about the game!

I once recall listening to Pleat pass on his wisdom when he announced during a champions league game that if we 'watch carefully we'll notice that Ryan Giggs mainly uses his left foot' ! 

Remarkable insight. 

To be fair to Townsend he's quite good when he's on the Monday night club on 5 live. I never hated him as much as some did when he was on ITV. I suppose it's about getting the balance right and understanding their role.

3 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

To be fair to Townsend he's quite good when he's on the Monday night club on 5 live. I never hated him as much as some did when he was on ITV. I suppose it's about getting the balance right and understanding their role.

I think they feel the need to fill the air in the co commentary position and often come out with the first thing that springs to mind. 

I don't mind monday night club. The setting seems more relaxed (when Sutton isn't winding folks up) and they all talk a lot more sense.

I once agreed with a point Pleat made on that show!

Only once mind. 

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think they feel the need to fill the air in the co commentary position and often come out with the first thing that springs to mind. 

I don't mind monday night club. The setting seems more relaxed (when Sutton isn't winding folks up) and they all talk a lot more sense.

I once agreed with a point Pleat made on that show!

Only once mind. 

Yeah I'd agree with that. My favourite Pleat moment was when he was commentating on Everton and he tried to pronounce Diniyar Bilyaletdinov (yeah I googled how to spell it) and after about 4 attempts he gave up and said, "the lad with the long name on the wing".

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Remarkable insight. 

This is a great point.

I met Don Goodman a couple of months ago at a wedding and had a good chat about football ect.. .he was a lovely guy who spoke great sense.

However I find myself screaming at the tv sometimes when hrs commentating.

7 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Yeah I'd agree with that. My favourite Pleat moment was when he was commentating on Everton and he tried to pronounce Diniyar Bilyaletdinov (yeah I googled how to spell it) and after about 4 attempts he gave up and said, "the lad with the long name on the wing".

Was when he left our club after almost killing it .........

18 minutes ago, torres said:

Hoddle wouldn't last 2 minutes 

His mutterings are outdated 

Which ones. He might state the obvious. Like outnumbering or matching the opposition in midfield, creating space etc. But commentating is different to managing isn't it.

The media declared war on Glen Hoddle, they all but destroyed him because of his religious  beliefs, not because of his lack of football management abilities. Not taking a raving lunatic to the 1998 World Cup finals gave the ‘comic’ press another nail to hammer into his coffin, the guy was always on a hiding to nothing, some of the managers appointed post his dismissal beggar belief.

• Thanks 1