Right...Team for Saturday

not had chance read all posts yet but id change quite a few as so under performing...

Westwood

Palmer

Vanancio

Van Aken

Pudil

Matias

Bannan

Abdi

Reach

Hooper

Fletch or Nuhiu

Loovens far too laid back and slow

Lees well off the pace, sloppy passing and positioning

Hunt sloppy last nite

Pudil needs games hes not done owt wrong

Wallace love him but inconsistant

Buttercup inconsistant

Rhodes offers nowt

Least big Dave will give his all

Maybe bring Joao on earlier than normal

Reach no good left back

why not try these changes cant get any worse

I’d like to see 2 up front and three in Centre midfield, so I’d go with:-

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Loovens

Van Aken

Reach

Lee/Abdi 

Butterfield/Jones

Bannan

Nuhiu

Rhodes/Hooper

Lee or Abdi depending on fitness, Butterfield or Jones depending on fitness.

Nuhiu starts for changing the game and scoring, Rhodes or Hooper whoever looks sharper.

1 hour ago, spike1867 said:

What 4-2-3-1 was that because as far as I can fathom it was a 4-4-2? 

The problem for me and it is a huge problem is the speed with which the ball comes out of defence.  Loovens and Lees are desperate at shifting the ball out of defence.  The argument for not playing Van Aken was that he made defensive errors.  Well our much vaunted senior centre halves were error strewn all game last night.  Loovens was lucky to be on the pitch after 10 minutes.  Lees should have felt the full force of somebodies wrath at full time for what was the most lackadaisical trot back into the box for their second.  I mean there wasn't even a sniff of urgency.  For that alone, he should be dropped.  I can take errors of positioning, I can take getting done by a talented player, but that was absolute garbage.  You are only as good as your last game.  The problem is, that we haven't blooded Venancio, so you can't drop both Loovens and Lees with any degree of confidence that Venancio is capable of taking over.  So on that and I hope someone has the strongest of words with Lees that it is unacceptable for that to happen again, give him the chance to rectify his poor performance and play him with Van Aken

I'd go with 4-2-3-1 but CC will not.  Going on our 4-4-2 I'd go with...

Westwood

Lees     Van Aken

Hunt                                                              Fox

Butterfield       Bannan

Palmer                                                         Reach

Hooper  Rhodes

Since Butterfield has come into the side, at Villa, it's without doubt been a definite shift 4-2-3-1.

Just look at the set up.

Butterfield and Bannan are playing deeper than usual (which worked brilliantly at Villa, and has killed us the last two games), and Hooper is playing almost as a pseudo central midfielder. 

Against Villa it was obvious Reach and Wallace were instructed to play higher, almost within the forward line. 

But, as all formations, it morphs into whatever shape the players roam into. From a defensive stand point, it's been 4-2-3-1 with Hooper sitting A LOT deeper than usual (or maybe even a 4-5-1, as Reach and Wallace haven't been as advanced). 

Wanting Nuhiu to start is laughable, the guy finally scores after 42 games and now he's our best striker apparently.

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Loovens

Fox

Matias

Bannan

Butterfield

Reach

Hooper

Rhodes

Bench: Wildsmith, Hunt, Van Aken, Abdi, Lee, Fletcher, Nuhiu

Had enough of Wallace is a Wednesday shirt, we need Matias' pace down the flank instead.

1 hour ago, RocketOwl said:

Owlstalk - Rhodes is the best player in the world. Let's drop Tom Lees.

Tom Lees is our best centre back by a mile. He's been defending this season on his own - but les drop him:

Rhodes has been crap in the last two games.

Lees has been crap all season.

You cannot keep rewarding under performance with regular starts. He's a big boy, an experienced professional, I'm sure he'd hold his hand up if Carlos told him he was been dropped. It might just dust off a few traits of complacency, that sub consciously will have in all likelihood crept into his mindset.

5 hours ago, Think tank said:

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Loovens

Fox

Bannan

Lee

Matias

Abdi

Reach

Hooper

This 4-4-2 is killing us, can’t believe Carlos is sticking with it and the likes of Ross Wallace

We we all know nothing like that will happen though it will be a shuffling of chairs in his 4-4-2 flawed and failing 4-4-2.

Havent you heard he is supposed to be one of our best players lol

38 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Interesting 

To be fair I think Lees would be lost as a right sided centre half. I don't think he has the technical ability.

When he played there for L**ds against us we ribboned him, he had to go off at break.

Hutch would breeze it though. No danger 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Sod it.

Mix it up.

22090169_10156129100136111_3774159259739402839_n.jpg

Carlos seems to me like a nervous golfer.

He doesn't visualise a shot, sailing towards the green.

He sees sand traps.. hidden creeks and trees and long rough...so he plans to lay up.

FFS.

Edited by Costello 77
Ffs

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be fair I think Lees would be lost as a right sided centre half. I don't think he has the technical ability.

When he played there for L**ds against us we ribboned him, he had to go off at break.

Hutch would breeze it though. No danger 

I think Hutch should play CB when fit, agreed. I also agree we should mix it up. Hirst clearly will never play for us again so I would be up for big Dave playing a bigger role at present. Let's milk his increase in confidence from the goal

6 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I think Hutch should play CB when fit, agreed. I also agree we should mix it up. Hirst clearly will never play for us again so I would be up for big Dave playing a bigger role at present. Let's milk his increase in confidence from the goal

People can say many things about the Nuhiu.  I like opposition centre halves getting bashed about and looking bewildered rather than having an easy time. He brings that. 

Also brought best out of Hooper in 'Year One'

Suspect the same might be said of Rhodes who did his best work with Novak and Gestede.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

People can say many things about the Nuhiu.  I like opposition centre halves getting bashed about and looking bewildered rather than having an easy time. He brings that. 

Also brought best out of Hooper in 'Year One'

Suspect the same might be said of Rhodes who did his best work with Novak and Gestede.

Absolutely spot on. Dave really unnerves the opposites CBs and anything can happen. I would be very interested to see if he could bring out the best in Rhodes. It's certainly an option but would require flexibility from Carlos. Now, that could be a problem!

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

4-3fucking3.

EVERY time we play with 3 attackers on the pitch, we look good, cause problems and score goals.  

Time and time again we switch to it to rescue to a game like last night. We were actually 2-1 up from the moment we switched.

Why can't Carlos see this?

He sees it alright because that's why he keeps changing to it - the question is why doesn't he start out games like this?!

People say we haven't got a plan B, but we absolutely have; the real problem is with our plan A.

41 minutes ago, cowl said:

He sees it alright because that's why he keeps changing to it - the question is why doesn't he start out games like this?!

People say we haven't got a plan B, but we absolutely have; the real problem is with our plan A.

That's what I'm getting at. 

Our plan B is so much better than our plan A, why doesn't Carlos see it as a viable starting formation? 

I suppose his argument will be the different dynamics at different stages in a game. If a team is leading, they're more likely to be compact, tougher to break down and less likely to pose a threat attacking wise. 

He'll only throw caution to the wind in those circumstances. He has no other option.

Says a lot about his mentality. You look at a manager like Wilder for instance, and he'll be looking to attack teams early. Score goals and do the damage asap. Then see the game out.

Carlos does the opposite.

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

4 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

That's what I'm getting at. 

Our plan B is so much better than our plan A, why doesn't Carlos see it as a viable starting formation? 

I suppose his argument will be the different dynamics at different stages in a game. If a team is leading, they're more likely to be compact, tougher to break down and less likely to pose a threat attacking wise. 

He'll only throw caution to the wind in those circumstances. He has no other option.

Says a lot about his mentality. You look at a manager like Wilder for instance, and he'll be looking to attack teams early. Score goals and do the damage asap. Then see the game out.

Carlos does the opposite.

True. He does spend most of the first half trying to work out the opposites. Strange really, when you can work that out watching how they've played, home & away, from previous seasons and previous games. Going behind wakes us up, for sure, but it's far easier to manage a game when you're winning. We never seem to try & score first. Wonder if it's all a betting scam? :biggrin:

• Haha 1