Right...Team for Saturday

It needs a shake up now. Too many players under-performing. Time for some shock treatment to our experienced pro's continually letting us down.

Westwood

Hunt

Van Aken

Loovens

Fox

Butterfield

Lee

Bannan

Hooper

Joao

Nuhiu

Reading play a 3-4-3...ideal time to start with our 4-3-3 diamond...match up on the flanks, out number in midfield.

Play players in there optimal positions, and play to our strengths. Be positive.

-------------------------------- Westwood --------------------------------

---------------- Venâncio ---------------- Loovens ----------------

-------------------------------- Van Aken --------------------------------

Palmer ---------------------------------------------------------------- Reach

---------------- Jones -------------------------------- Abdi ----------------

-------------------------------- Bannan --------------------------------

---------------- Hooper ---------------- Nuhiu ----------------

14 minutes ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

We do need to try something different, you’re right. 

My bet though would be that Palmer will come in for Hunt, Lee will come in for Butterfield and Fletcher will replace Rhodes. 

All like-for-like changes. 

Because, after our horrendous recruitment, that’s all we’re capable of. 

But we're capable of so much more, in terms of freshening things up.

Nuhiu for example...been criminally underused this season, when you take into account the only striker to show any sort of form, is Hooper. We've an abundance of riches in the striking department, and despite only one of them hitting any kind of form, we've only played three of them from the off. 

Joao, underused.

Abdi, underused.

Matias, underused.

Venancio, underused. 

Pudil has only started at full back twice this season, and Palmer only once. 

And that's not mentioning the mysterious case of George Boyd, underused, before his shoulder injury.

That's five players who could be the, or at least, an answer to the current dire straits we find ourselves in.

I mean, our Under 23's are currently sitting at the top of their league once again, after winning it last season. There could be a solution to our problems within that crop of youngsters. (Although, I accept the current apathetic, rather tense atmosphere at Hillsborough, may not be the best time to blood a young'un).

There's options there...he's just blind of them. 

27 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

It needs a shake up now. Too many players under-performing. Time for some shock treatment to our experienced pro's continually letting us down.

Westwood

Hunt

Van Aken

Loovens

Fox

Butterfield

Lee

Bannan

Hooper

Joao

Nuhiu

Reading play a 3-4-3...ideal time to start with our 4-3-3 diamond...match up on the flanks, out number in midfield.

Play players in there optimal positions, and play to our strengths. Be positive.

Take Reach out?!

Only player that provides any pace or width at the moment. And he's on good form. Alright he's completely ducked a header for their secondl last night, but the run and cross for the equaliser makes up for that.

Agree that Lees needs a kick up the arse though

Nuhiu.. well, he certainly gives defences something to think about. And though his finishing is shocking normally, so has Rhodes' and Fletcher's been. Maybe bring him on on 60mins if we're not winning

1 minute ago, robswfc said:

Take Reach out?!

Only player that provides any pace or width at the moment. And he's on good form. Alright he's completely ducked a header for their secondl last night, but the run and cross for the equaliser makes up for that.

Agree that Lees needs a kick up the arse though

Nuhiu.. well, he certainly gives defences something to think about. And though his finishing is shocking normally, so has Rhodes' and Fletcher's been. Maybe bring him on on 60mins if we're not winning

Reach has been awful the last two games. Against Bristol is was staggeringly poor, and last night was equally so, but redeemed himself slightly with an assist from the only cross he managed to put in all night.

That's more than a good enough reason to drop him. He's one of the players who's had it too easy. No competition. 

Secondly, if we're to change the system, then there's no point changing it to shoehorn the same players into it. 

The 4-2-3-1 that looked so good against Villa, has looked woeful against Bristol and Ipswich. Our attacking intent increased enormously when we switched to the diamond, hence why I'd opt for that system on Saturday.

But I wouldn't play Reach at left back in that system. He's nowhere near defensively aware enough to play in such an isolated defensive role.

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Westwood

Hunt

Van Aken

Loovens

Fox

Butterfield

Lee

Bannan

Hooper

Joao

Nuhiu

So you would pick Bannan who you have just described in another post as 'cowardly' 

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

Reach has been awful the last two games. Against Bristol is was staggeringly poor, and last night was equally so, but redeemed himself slightly with an assist from the only cross he managed to put in all night.

That's more than a good enough reason to drop him. He's one of the players who's had it too easy. No competition. 

Secondly, if we're to change the system, then there's no point changing it to shoehorn the same players into it. 

The 4-2-3-1 that looked so good against Villa, has looked woeful against Bristol and Ipswich. Our attacking intent increased enormously when we switched to the diamond, hence why I'd opt for that system on Saturday.

But I wouldn't play Reach at left back in that system. He's nowhere near defensively aware enough to play in such an isolated defensive role.

Reach has been player of the season along with Bannan. I criticised him a lot last year but he's improved his delivery and got 4 assists and 3 goals so far. Not bad at all, especially when he covers so much ground defensively. No chance he should be dropped

People slag nuihu off , and whilst he has his faults , Rhodes and fletcher have been utter gash . They are both as poor in front of goal as adthe but less of a handful . I wouldn’t be against him playing more . Worked well with Hooper two seasons ago. 

Having said that whoever plays , the same boring and predictable dross will be churned out . We need a complete clear out but unfortunately we are stuck with ageing crocks on long term deals. Amazing business. 

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Loovens

Fox

Bannan

Lee

Matias

Abdi

Reach

Hooper

This 4-4-2 is killing us, can’t believe Carlos is sticking with it and the likes of Ross Wallace. 

We we all know nothing like that will happen though it will be a shuffling of chairs in his 4-4-2 flawed and failing 4-4-2.

17 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Loovens

Fox

Bannan

Lee

Matias

Abdi

Reach

Hooper

This 4-4-2 is killing us, can’t believe Carlos is sticking with it and the likes of Ross Wallace. 

We we all know nothing like that will happen though it will be a shuffling of chairs in his 4-4-2 flawed and failing 4-4-2.

I'd try this with Van Aken in for Loovens!

We need to be playing 352 or a diamond but I'm seriously struggling to think of who to play where if the missing players such as Abdi, Matias, Hutch,Boyd,Venancio etc won't ever be used.

For me Reach/fox and Palmer should be wing backs in a 352, but without hutch who do we play as the 3 centre backs? He won't try venancio so only leaves calamitous lees and loovens alongside Van Aken.

We can't have Bannan, Lee, Butterfield all in the middle they're too similar.none of them can defend well enough to play as a 3. Wallace offers occasional creativity at least. Hooper works better with fletch but Fletchers shooting is horrendous. Rhodes will score if offered it on a plate but he's so useless in every other department it begs the question is it worth playing him.

Conundrums all over, I can't see a line up out of our squad that's drastically going to change the awful football we play. 

"Killing us"

"Dire straits"

We have just taken 9 points from 5 unbeaten. The time to be saying this was earlier in the season.

At the start we took 6 points from 5.

We had a spell taking 3 points from 5.

That was when we were dire. Right now we ain't pretty, but at least we have found a coherent approach that is picking up the points that get you top six. Sadly, we were so flipping awful before these recent five games that we are playing catch-up.

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Loovens

Fox

Wallace

Bannan

Lee if fit, Butters if not

Reach

Hooper

Rhodes

Too early to drop Rhodes, though last night and Saturday he was poor. But I would get Fletch on earlier than last night if Rhodes and the team are struggling. He made a big impact last night.