Hutch

Jones is playing well at the moment, he's a good solid team player and wiling workhorse that simply ghosts about the pitch effectively. 

Hutch is a different style of player, more robust, aggressive in challenges and a bit more all action. I don't class them as the same player. 

Thing is it's a squad game these days and sometimes you need to change personal depending on the opposition or tactics your playing, so for me both will play a good part of the season, but I wouldn't say Jones is better, just that hutch is injured and Jones is playing well at the moment, but things can and will change. 

Jones is proving himself to be a vital cog in the machine.

At the minute, when picking the side, he's an absolute must.

May not be pretty, or eye catching, but he performs his role better than anybody at the club.

We lose that calmness and assurance in the midfield when Hutchinson plays. Hutchinson far more eye catching, but I personally don't think he performs the role as well as Jones. 

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Jones is proving himself to be a vital cog in the machine.

At the minute, when picking the side, he's an absolute must.

May not be pretty, or eye catching, but he performs his role better than anybody at the club.

We lose that calmness and assurance in the midfield when Hutchinson plays. Hutchinson far more eye catching, but I personally don't think he performs the role as well as Jones. 

I can't believe it, especially after not rating Jones at all last season, but I think you're right. 

Defenders on the continent are always confused at why English fans love big, last ditch slide tackles so much etc. The gist of their confusion is 'if you'd read the game/positioned yourself properly, you'd not needed to have made a tackle at all'. 

Hutch is a great footballer, but I think the above kind of sums up the difference between Hutch and Jones at times. Hutchinson is so all action, he tends to lose his discipline and shape more often in a game, although he has got better as he's played in the CDM role more tbf. 

So many wavering opinions after a good performance...

Hutchison is one of our best midfielders and probably our best defender (too early to compare to Van Aken).

Incidentally, Forestieri is by far our best player, although everyone seems to think he's now surplus to requirements because of...no actual facts whatsoever.  These two, fit and firing, would no doubt improve our current 11.  

It's really fun watching how quickly people change their minds on players after a good or bad run!  

26 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

So many wavering opinions after a good performance...

Hutchison is one of our best midfielders and probably our best defender (too early to compare to Van Aken).

Incidentally, Forestieri is by far our best player, although everyone seems to think he's now surplus to requirements because of...no actual facts whatsoever.  These two, fit and firing, would no doubt improve our current 11.  

It's really fun watching how quickly people change their minds on players after a good or bad run!  

FF would improve our team from the left. He would worsen our team significantly if striker.

The facts you mention are well known. 

Hutchinson would've won player of the year last year had it not been for his injuries from March onwards.

He was our most outstanding defender in the first three months and then he was our best performer in midfield for four months after that.

Despite this though I do think Lees looked less of a player when partnering him at the back, just as Bannan did when partnering him in central midfield, so I think there might well be something in this idea of Jones being less of an individual player than Hutch, but more of a team player.

Still, I'd like to think there'd be a way of getting Hutchinson into the team that would benefit the way we play as a whole also.

Going forward I'd still like to think Hutchinson could play at the back for us again. I think it's slightly easier on his knees too. Obviously a lot of our fans frequently point to 3 at the back as a way to better accommodate the players in our squad, and I'd be inclined to agree, but it's not something CC seems to be considering sadly.