How do you rate the squad now?

17 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Squad is good enough to challenge for top 2.

The Manager isn't and will scrape the play offs again at best.

Squad lacks pace, genuine width and quality full backs. Still more than good enough though if used correctly.

Fairly serious shortcomings for a team that you think can challenge for top 2.

12 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You're losing your grip on logic and rational thinking in your mad dash to criticise our head coach.

Do you really think every other manager would have got us higher than 6th and 4th in the last two seasons?

I know its odd how may people think there are serious shortcomings in the squad but also think we would be top 2 if it wasn't for carlos. Seems somewhat logically inconsistent to me.

18 hours ago, StarmanNWC said:

GK - Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson

DF - Hunt, Palmer, Lees, Loovens, Vennacio, Van Aken, Pudil, Fox

MF - Hutchinson, Jones, Bannan, Lee, Abdi, Butterfield, Wallace, Boyd, Reach, Matias 

FW - Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Hirst 

Is it a top 2 squad? Top 6?

Would you have taken that as a squad at the start of the season when we only had 2 centre backs and were playing Pudil at CB?

what rating out of 10?

Stronger at centre half , but still no pace

18 hours ago, StarmanNWC said:

GK - Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson

DF - Hunt, Palmer, Lees, Loovens, Vennacio, Van Aken, Pudil, Fox

MF - Hutchinson, Jones, Bannan, Lee, Abdi, Butterfield, Wallace, Boyd, Reach, Matias 

FW - Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Hirst 

Is it a top 2 squad? Top 6?

Would you have taken that as a squad at the start of the season when we only had 2 centre backs and were playing Pudil at CB?

what rating out of 10?

Top 6 absolutely but we still look short for top 2.

Confident Carlos will deliver playoffs again. 

7.5/10

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

MAybe, if it was 2012

Seriously. 

You don't half talk some crap. 

We've got an excellent squad for the most part. Just missing a bit of pace and power. 

Otherwise, we've got plenty of options in all the key positions. 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Seriously. 

We've got an excellent squad for the most part. Just missing a bit of pace and power. 

Pm me with the goss on winnall or I'm going on a negging spree.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Seriously. 

Of course not seriously, but it ain't as good as some make out We certainly have enough talent to finish there or thereabouts, but definitely lack the 2 attributes you mention That will hold us back, because in the last couple of years, pace and power have become more important at this level The championship now mirrors the Premier League

It should be good enough, but as many say, with the right manager. Slight digression, but the CC's excuse from previous seasons has always been that other teams and managers have been building their teams over a number of years. He's stopped saying that now of course as Leeds, Forest, Cardiff, etc blow the theory up in smoke.....

I believe poor recruitment since Wembley still has us lacking in key areas.

We have a squad capable of the Play Offs but not too sure about automatic. I'm still not convinced about our full backs. Hunt has improved in my eyes but still his delivery is inconsistent and defensively prone to switching off. On the left hand side, Pudil has his good games but is done for when he comes up against pace. As for Fox not seen enough to make a judgement. I believe Reach has the potential to be a cracking full back as shown in his awesome display against Sunderland, but whether Carlos sees that as his position remains to be seen. Either way wish we'd stop messing about with Reach's position and give him chance to settle in one.

As for centre back seems we've finally addressed that issue which was clear since Wembley. For me we needed a good ball playing centre half but also one who's not going to be bullied and can get his head in the way. Sasso had the ball playing part but not the ugly side of defending for me. Perhaps Van Aken and Venancio will offer both? Never seen them play so can't possibly comment on whether they'll be good signings or not.

I still think we needed a big strong holding midfielder and this is where the money really should have been spent. Not on an 8 million pound striker or Abdi and Jones who are steady but not commanding or dominating in the middle. Carlos doesn't seem to recognise the profile of the player needed in the middle, its where some teams exploit us. Will Butterfield be the solution? He's not that kind of player from what I've seen and read of him. By all accounts poor for Derby but maybe a change of scenery will do him good. 

My main concern is that we still have a distinct lack of pace throughout the side. No one who can go past a man with pace or carry the ball forward moving us 20 yards up the pitch. It's always a good option to have and apart from Joao (who appears to be nowhere near the squad) we have no genuine pace. Therefore no plan B when we find ourselves behind. Boyd is a good player but very similar to Wallace, not the wide player we needed. 

Personally think under Carlos this season will be similar to last, don't think he has the ability to take us that one step further and I think whoever has been in charge of recruitment has made the job a lot harder than it could have been. 

All in all I just want to go to games and enjoy it and hope we put on a performance. Under Carlos I have no confidence that will be delivered and that what frustrates me and I think most of the fanbase. It's not necessarily results but we want to be entertained, it's not happening at Wednesday now under Carlos. I pray that changes really do. The squad is capable of attacking teams. Let's do it then.

30 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I believe poor recruitment since Wembley still has us lacking in key areas.

We have a squad capable of the Play Offs but not too sure about automatic. I'm still not convinced about our full backs. Hunt has improved in my eyes but still his delivery is inconsistent and defensively prone to switching off. On the left hand side, Pudil has his good games but is done for when he comes up against pace. As for Fox not seen enough to make a judgement. I believe Reach has the potential to be a cracking full back as shown in his awesome display against Sunderland, but whether Carlos sees that as his position remains to be seen. Either way wish we'd stop messing about with Reach's position and give him chance to settle in one.

As for centre back seems we've finally addressed that issue which was clear since Wembley. For me we needed a good ball playing centre half but also one who's not going to be bullied and can get his head in the way. Sasso had the ball playing part but not the ugly side of defending for me. Perhaps Van Aken and Venancio will offer both? Never seen them play so can't possibly comment on whether they'll be good signings or not.

I still think we needed a big strong holding midfielder and this is where the money really should have been spent. Not on an 8 million pound striker or Abdi and Jones who are steady but not commanding or dominating in the middle. Carlos doesn't seem to recognise the profile of the player needed in the middle, its where some teams exploit us. Will Butterfield be the solution? He's not that kind of player from what I've seen and read of him. By all accounts poor for Derby but maybe a change of scenery will do him good. 

My main concern is that we still have a distinct lack of pace throughout the side. No one who can go past a man with pace or carry the ball forward moving us 20 yards up the pitch. It's always a good option to have and apart from Joao (who appears to be nowhere near the squad) we have no genuine pace. Therefore no plan B when we find ourselves behind. Boyd is a good player but very similar to Wallace, not the wide player we needed. 

Personally think under Carlos this season will be similar to last, don't think he has the ability to take us that one step further and I think whoever has been in charge of recruitment has made the job a lot harder than it could have been. 

All in all I just want to go to games and enjoy it and hope we put on a performance. Under Carlos I have no confidence that will be delivered and that what frustrates me and I think most of the fanbase. It's not necessarily results but we want to be entertained, it's not happening at Wednesday now under Carlos. I pray that changes really do. The squad is capable of attacking teams. Let's do it then.

Agreed. The game has to be entertaining for me too. With work commitments I only managed to get to about 10 last season and mostly the games were dull. As you say, no Plan B and more fear of conceding than a desire to score. It's a tough September / October coming up and I fear CC will be found out if there isn't some change in the dynamic. Forest, Leeds and the Piggies will all be a challenge to keep at bay and I can't see us offering a great offensive strategy. Big test for him.

24 minutes ago, Mr Claypole said:

Agreed. The game has to be entertaining for me too. With work commitments I only managed to get to about 10 last season and mostly the games were dull. As you say, no Plan B and more fear of conceding than a desire to score. It's a tough September / October coming up and I fear CC will be found out if there isn't some change in the dynamic. Forest, Leeds and the Piggies will all be a challenge to keep at bay and I can't see us offering a great offensive strategy. Big test for him.

I feel the same. I don't enjoy the football and can't be arsed with home games At least with away games it's a day out, and generally a bit of a crack Home games are  so friggin dull

Having said that, I have made arrangements to come up for the Leeds game, which still gives me a month to find summat better to do

It's a squad more than capable of challenging for the top 2. We've strengthened the areas we needed to. In my opinion the manager has earned time to get it right. Like I've said in other threads. The next 6 games will shape what happens this year in my opinion. We're 16th now, if were not in that top 6 or just outside it come the next international break then maybe it's time for a change. You can argue we haven't had a great start but it's been far from terrible. We aren't that far away, let's get behind them.