Just now, mark77 said:

Correct, there were rimes last season when Hutchinson was so deep he effectively became and extra centre back and the full backs were almost playing as out and out wingers, especially when in possession. As I've just stated, our formation can be quite fluid at times.

From the buys he's made. I fully expect him to go with the fluid diamond as plan A, using Boyd or Wallace and Pudil in a flat 4-4-2 against teams who use the wingers and full backs a lot (like we did against Fulham)

Hutch should be one of the centre backs, he'd be awesome there. Didn't work so well last year IMO because him and Lees are too similar to play in a two, but in a back three where he can see the game in front of him he'll have more time on the ball, it'll save his legs and he'll be less prone to rash tackles. He also should be comfortable getting dragged out to the right back area because he's played some of his career there. 

Perfect right-sided defender in a three if you ask me, and sounds like Van Aken would be perfect on the left side and adds the height we lacked with just Lees and Hutch in there. 

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

Hutch should be one of the centre backs, he'd be awesome there. Didn't work so well last year IMO because him and Lees are too similar to play in a two, but in a back three where he can see the game in front of him he'll have more time on the ball, it'll save his legs and he'll be less prone to rash tackles. He also should be comfortable getting dragged out to the right back area because he's played some of his career there. 

Perfect right-sided defender in a three if you ask me, and sounds like Van Aken would be perfect on the left side and adds the height we lacked with just Lees and Hutch in there. 

Hutch is perfect for the centre of 3 bringing the ball out into midfield 

20 hours ago, Royal_D said:

We will play 4-4-2

Correct.

Occasionally some variation in it, but yes, 442.

Carlos said he wanted two players for every position. He has 4 players he considers to be CBs, so I can't see him playing 3 CBs.

I have seen enough of 442 with the players and tactics currently being employed.

The pattern is obvious. Against Preston and Burton we were rubbish because they pushed us back , won every second ball and the total lack of any athletes in the middle two and front two or flair out wide rendered us toothless.

Against a footballing side like Fulham we are better because we can get on the ball a bit and put some passes together.

However the fact remains he is picking a starting eleven at the moment without anybody capable of beating a man and causing the opposition any discomfort 

A fit and in form Lee would improve it and who knows what Butterfield might bring but it is time for Carlos to earn his money and get us playing a flexible and attacking formation that gets our flair players not only in the team but also gives them the opportunity to prosper.

• Thanks 1

Carlos has said he doesn't like a 3 5 2. For me he has to play the diamond from the start, home and away and play adequate players in the diamond. 

Use Reach and Hunt at wingback. Jones or Hutchinson at the bottom of the diamond. Lee, Bannan and Butterfield in the middle of the diamond and Forestieri or Abdi at the top. 

4-3-3 for me.

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Van Aken

Reach

Lee

Hutch

Bannan

Hooper

Fletcher

Ff

Hopefully Joao and Matias to get some opportunities to provide some competition up top to use their pace and movement. They will have to improve but the potential is there. Butterfield to compete with Lee and Abdi to compete with Bannan for midfield roles.

On 9/1/2017 at 00:20, Ryan1980 said:

Westwood

Vernacio    Lees.   Aken

boyd.    Butterfield   Bannan.   Reach

Forestieri

Fletcher.       Hooper

Such a dreamy lineup! Shame we'll never see it.

17 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

If Fletcher, Lee, Abdi aren't fit for Forest I would go with the below team.  

Westwood 

Hunt      Lees      Van Aken   Reach 

Butterfield  Jones  Bannan

Matias    Hooper  Forestieri  

Completely agree. We need to give this formation a go and that team is balanced.